New Feud in NASCAR - involving Danica

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
-When asked what it would take for Danica Patrick to win the 2014 Daytona 500, King Richard Petty replied “ for all the other drivers to stay home”.
-Tony Stewart, who owns Danica's racing team responded tersely, saying Richard Petty “doesn't know what he's talking about”. Stewart even challenged the 76 year old Petty to a match race against Danica.
Richard Petty may be behind the times, but I think he deserves a pass on his comment about Danica. Segregation was the norm when he began racing. Much has changed.
Doesn't winning 200 cup races entitle you to a pass on some of your public comments?
-After leading a few laps of the 2014 Daytona 500 and running consistently in the top 15, Danica was taken out of the race by another car. The other car was the #43 Petty Enterprises car driven by Alec Almirola. Coincidence?
We may have a feud brewing here that is even bigger than the Yarboro/Allison feud.
http://www.richardpettymotorsports.com/team43/index.ph

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Petty appears to be a dinosaur. The woman can drive, and knows how to win. His opinion is unimportant.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm still going to the PIR race this weekend, and yes I am still sitting in the Richard Petty section lol.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I recall when Danica appeared on the 'open wheel' circuit... Upset many folks there, too. (Used to have a magazine with a story about it, but I suspect it was one I left with a friend when we moved across the country.

I could just picture the talk in the 'shop' not long before..

"Guys, we've got a driver. Ninety pounds wringing wet, around 5'3", let's get building.. she'll be here tomorrow..."

(Collective gasp from the building team) "SHE?????"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ain't nuttin' new here. Ever hear of Shirley Muldowney? She had her critics too. The ladies always seem to have to fight their way up no matter their skills.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"I'm still going to the PIR race this weekend, and yes I am still sitting in the Richard Petty section lol."
I love watching the races at Phoenix. The tri-oval turn is on the back straight, where it can be seen from all seats of all prices. I've watched the Indy cars and Stock cars there.
I used to work with a lady that had season tickets to PIR. Her family would camp at the track in a motorhome every race weekend. That motorhome didn't run well enough to go to Yellowstone or California, but it always made the 30 mile trip to PIR.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
IMO Richard Petty can say what he wants to say. They are from two completely different eras, barely the same sport. This is kinda' like getting pissed because the Rolling Stones won't confess their love for Justin Bieber! Danica Patrick has one top-ten finish in her Sprint Cup career, and Richard Petty is the winningest driver in the sport and a seven-time Champion. When we look back fifty years from now Danica Patrick will be that nice T&A that tried to be a serious competitor for a while and Richard Petty will still be "The King".

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The last time the 43 car won a race was in 1999, Danica has several years to break his winless streak. Every time I hear people whine about her I always say, "Funny I have never heard you ***** about the half of the field that finishes behind her on a weekly basis, at least she brings a lot of money with her to help pay her way unlike many of the other drivers".

The guys on the web that complain about her are losers that have never driven a race car and feel threatened by her because shes doing something they are incapable of.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...4/winless-streak-weighs-on-storied-no-43.html

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
"I'm still going to the PIR race this weekend, and yes I am still sitting in the Richard Petty section lol."
I love watching the races at Phoenix. The tri-oval turn is on the back straight, where it can be seen from all seats of all prices. I've watched the Indy cars and Stock cars there.
I used to work with a lady that had season tickets to PIR. Her family would camp at the track in a motorhome every race weekend. That motorhome didn't run well enough to go to Yellowstone or California, but it always made the 30 mile trip to PIR.
Yeah I'm a veteran of PIR, I have a huge stack of programs I have collected over the years.

I remember when the grandstands was wood and track parking was just feet from the front gate. Now its a 2 mile hike from the parking lot to the track.

I also remember me and my cousin Billy used to ride our three-wheelers up the South Mountain and watch the race when we did not have tickets.

To be honest, I liked PIR the way it was before NASCAR took it over.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I heard that Phoenix was also going to lose Manzanita Raceway to developers. No more World of Outlaws I guess.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I heard that Phoenix was also going to lose Manzanita Raceway to developers. No more World of Outlaws I guess.
Last race at Manzanita was in 2009.

I loved that race track, I loved it as a fan and I loved it as a driver. Lots of great memories at Manza.

Copper World at PIR during the day and Outlaws at Manzanita at night...that was the bomb!

And here is a photo of Danica today after her spin in turn one...

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Danica deserves respect just like any other driver, I hope Richard rethinks what he said and makes it right. Each driver puts his or her life in the hands of the other drivers, one wrong move can be fatal. Friction between teams is never good, too often it ends with someone hurt
That doesn't have anything to do with the situation . Denny Hamlin comes to mind.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is right, anybody who goes out on track, gets in the ring, climbs the mountain, deserves the respect for both having got there, and then going out and doing it. Danica is out there and racing. If she's good and stays good, she gets the drive. It's not a publicity stunt, she's not doing manipulative floods of tears to get her own way. She's a racer, let's judge her on her results and determination, nothing else.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
Well, this thread is almost two years old now. Richard Petty hasn't raced since '92 and still has the same number of wins since then as Danica Patrick.