Swap out old ignition for a more compact style?

GoldenMotor.com

illMATTic

Has anyone ever swaped out their old style ignition system like the first pic, and installed a more compact style like on the china engines in the second pic?

I have a 98cc Tecumseh. I would love to remove the big finned flywheel and use a smaller magnet/cdi like the grubee engine.

Thanks,

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The magneto on the china 2 strokes is one of the most common things to fail. One thing about flywheel ignition, its reliable. Dont trade a reliable setup for an iffy one.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am doing a similar type of setup, tecumseh w/HT magnito. The only reason that I do not use the std. flywheel is that I do not have room for even a billit flywheel in this build.
I have been fortunate, as having gone through about 7 HT engines I only had one ignition failure(rain soaked CDI). My biggest worry is about balance and kickback without having a flywheel.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
motors need a flywheel to idle and run, ever try to run a lawnmower engine with out the blade on it, they dont run very well, thats because the blade acts as a flywheel, you remove the flywheel from an engine and your probably goin to run into problems

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Moon,
That is the same thought that I had but I am going to proceed. This engine is a two cycle Tecumseh and never did idle well. To make things worse this design will be using a c-clutch.

IllMATTic,
please post your progress as you might save me some headaches.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
you could thing about making a steel flywheel and having it balanced, then mounting the china doll magnet outboard of that, that should still be smaller and more compact than the stock flywheel. shouldnt take much steel to reproduce the weight of a aluminum flywheel