info about Wonderful Creations 6v mini-generator.

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I ordered a 6v Mini Generator from Wonderful Creations on eBay. I thought I would post some helpful info about it for others who are thinking of going this route. For those who dont know about wonderful creations, here is a link to the generator: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400109304267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. I ordered this last Wednesday and it arrived this morning. I haven't gotten a chance to install it yet, but as soon as I do, I will post about it here. For now, I will say this. The generator came with wire connectors, instructions, and even an extra switch. I dont know if they always include a switch, but it was nice of them to do so. I presently dont have a use for it, but at least I have it as a spare.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey big, I've been looking at this for years but could never find a decent review from a reliable source. And I didn't want to invest that much on something I didn't know for sure would work or not. They also make a 12V setup which, I think, would give the opportunity to install a little brighter bulb. But PLEASE, get back to us on this. If it works as claimed it just might be worth the investment.
fatdaddy.
Right now I'm running all my electrics, Headlight, tail light, horn and turn signals through this. It works well so far. The only complaint I have with it is that the wiring coming from it is a little thin. But that's true of most of the stuff from china, ain't it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Turn-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item337676c542

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
please remember, it IS AC current (rotating magnet + coil - brushes = AC output), so you WILL need an incandescent bulb (they run on AC just fine last I checked) unless you build the rectifier (also listed in this forum). Unless you like burnt out/strobe LED's for headlights.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
please remember, it IS AC current (rotating magnet + coil - brushes = AC output), so you WILL need an incandescent bulb (they run on AC just fine last I checked) unless you build the rectifier (also listed in this forum). Unless you like burnt out/strobe LED's for headlights.
Not really mew. According to the add it has a voltage regulator (rectifier?) that supplies a battery pack before it goes to the electrical system. So AC is turned to DC current. If all you install is the coil, then yeah, you get AC, But thats not how the manufacturer intends it to be used.
fatdaddy.
P.S. I used to run a 7.5V small bulb off the white wire all the time. It was NEVER bright enough, but it made the bike legal and the bulb lasted a good long time. Yeah, LED's don't like AC.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I already had the circuit rectified going to my LED headlight (which I alo purchased from Wonderful Creations). I just installed the mini generator a little while ago, and it works perfectly. It powers my headlight directly, no batteries, and no other lights are being powered by the generator, so I can't speak on the effectiveness of the generator as part of a "complete" electrical/lighting system, but for powering my 6v, 3w headlight, it works perfectly. The circuit is rectified as I said, and the headlight has a built-in voltage regulator, so all is well. My brake light runs on a 7.2v nicad which I will be wall charging, and my tail light and side warning lights all run on AAA batteries. I just didnt want to run my headlight on batteries, and had been running it off the white wire with rectification, but the light was killing the engine at idle. Running the light off the generator allows the engine to idle normally, which was my goal in purchasing the generator, so for me, its a definite win.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
They send the rectifier with the 6v gen? It was my understanding it came with the battery charger kit/lighting kit, not just the mini gen, my bad haha

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I already had the circuit rectified going to my LED headlight (which I alo purchased from Wonderful Creations). I just installed the mini generator a little while ago, and it works perfectly. It powers my headlight directly, no batteries, and no other lights are being powered by the generator, so I can't speak on the effectiveness of the generator as part of a "complete" electrical/lighting system, but for powering my 6v, 3w headlight, it works perfectly. The circuit is rectified as I said, and the headlight has a built-in voltage regulator, so all is well. My brake light runs on a 7.2v nicad which I will be wall charging, and my tail light and side warning lights all run on AAA batteries. I just didnt want to run my headlight on batteries, and had been running it off the white wire with rectification, but the light was killing the engine at idle. Running the light off the generator allows the engine to idle normally, which was my goal in purchasing the generator, so for me, its a definite win.
That great big, I'm glad it worked out for ya. I was thinking about the 12V coil they sell for my bike. I think all I would need is a regulator/rectifier and run it to my 12V battery. It may not charge my 12V 7.5amp completely but it might keep it off the charger in my garage for a little longer.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Just checked out what it would take to set up a 12V system from Wonderfull.(The 12V Max.) They claim it will charge a 12V SLA battery, which is what I have. So for just under $100 I can install a charging system on my bike. For that much money I'm afraid I'm gonna have to keep plugging it up to the charger for a while longer.
I just blew a head gasket in my car so thats gotta get done first.:-||
Fatdaddy.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Wonderful Creations sells a 12v headlight. All their lights have built-in voltage regulators, so that would be one less thing you would have to do yourself. I have their 6v headlight and 6v generator, and that combo works fine together without a battery, so the 12v light and generator should probably work ok without a battery as well. Just food for thought.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
They send the rectifier with the 6v gen? It was my understanding it came with the battery charger kit/lighting kit, not just the mini gen, my bad haha
They do sell a lighting kit, as well as several different variations of lighting accessory combinations for different budgets. However, as far as I know, every component of the lighting systems they make are also sold individually. When you buy an individual component, it usually doesnt include anything with it other than what is listed in the item description. I was surprised myself when I opened the box earlier today and found a switch included with the other parts. I only bought the mini-gen by itself, not the entire kit. I already had the headlight which I had purchased earlier this summer, so all I needed was the mini-gen.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Hey big, I've been looking at this for years but could never find a decent review from a reliable source. And I didn't want to invest that much on something I didn't know for sure would work or not. They also make a 12V setup which, I think, would give the opportunity to install a little brighter bulb. But PLEASE, get back to us on this. If it works as claimed it just might be worth the investment.
fatdaddy.
Right now I'm running all my electrics, Headlight, tail light, horn and turn signals through this. It works well so far. The only complaint I have with it is that the wiring coming from it is a little thin. But that's true of most of the stuff from china, ain't it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Turn-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item337676c542
I had noticed the lack of good info on their products, especially the generators. One person said that his was not wound correctly and did not produce the proper voltage, but in my opinion, he probably did something wrong or may have gotten a bad one, but I dont think this is a common problem with their products. I know of the two products I have purchased from them, both work just fine for me. However, I havent seen any other info on here about their lighting systems. I know a few members have bought them, but no one seems to be willing to cough up any clear info on them. So I thought I should be the first to do so.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Wonderful Creations sells a 12v headlight. All their lights have built-in voltage regulators, so that would be one less thing you would have to do yourself. I have their 6v headlight and 6v generator, and that combo works fine together without a battery, so the 12v light and generator should probably work ok without a battery as well. Just food for thought.
Yer right big, but the light with the built in regulator/rectifier is the same price as the 12V max charger. Seeing that I already have my lighting system all set up, and all I need now is a charging system, the coil and charger would do it for me. And I don't like the style of that light anyway. Except for a real good braking system, which I'm still working on, My baby is set up pretty much like a factory moped would be, With headlights, tail light, brake light, turn signals (front and back,), horn, speedometer, windscreen, mirrors, and license plate. I think the finale touch would be a decent charging system. But like I said, It's gonna have to wait till I get my car fixed.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, I keep forgetting that their 12v stuff is more expensive than their 6v stuff. I probably just dont pay that much attention to it because I have a 6v system. I paid $25 plus shipping for the generator, and $17 plus shipping for the headlight, so altogether about $52.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I have a 6V Mini Gen that I bought almost 2 years ago and it powers my tail light and has worked flawlessly since I installed it. I use a 6V bulb from Radio Shack, I'm not sure of the Wattage. Hope this helps.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a 6V Mini Gen that I bought almost 2 years ago and it powers my tail light and has worked flawlessly since I installed it. I use a 6V bulb from Radio Shack, I'm not sure of the Wattage. Hope this helps.
Um, perhaps you misunderstood from the title of the thread, or didnt read the thread, but I'm not asking for info on the generator, I'm giving some. I just installed one on my bike, and since I hadnt seen much info about them, thought I would post this up. Do take note that there isnt a question mark in the title of the thread. No disrespect, just saying.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The post is relevant to the topic at hand, the poster contributing what experience they've had for all that may choose to read the thread - which is after all, the point of an open forum: "an internet message board where ideas and views can be exchanged".

Just saying ;)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah, sorry big. Everybody that can type, (or has Dragon,) can chime in. In fact I find it reassuring that the thing has been operating for 2 years. Good to know.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The post is relevant to the topic at hand, the poster contributing what experience they've had for all that may choose to read the thread - which is after all, the point of an open forum: "an internet message board where ideas and views can be exchanged".

Just saying ;)
I understand Barely, and I meant no disrespect whatsoever. It was just at the end of his reply, he said "hope this helps". Just made me wonder if he had thought that this was a thread asking for info on the product, and I do know that sometimes people read the title of a thread and reply to it, thinking that the title of the thread explains exactly what the thread is about (which in this case it does, but I can see how it could be mistaken for a question). So I was just saying that it isnt a question. But you are still correct, it was relevant to the topic, and he does have a right to give input the same as anyone else here. Again, I meant no disrespect whatsoever.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, sorry big. Everybody that can type, (or has Dragon,) can chime in. In fact I find it reassuring that the thing has been operating for 2 years. Good to know.
fatdaddy.
I actually find it reassuring as well, especially after investing $30 in it. I wouldnt want it getting damaged or ruined from water or something all the time and having to find another way to power my light, that would suck big time.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Um, perhaps you misunderstood from the title of the thread, or didnt read the thread, but I'm not asking for info on the generator, I'm giving some. I just installed one on my bike, and since I hadnt seen much info about them, thought I would post this up. Do take note that there isnt a question mark in the title of the thread. No disrespect, just saying.
When you have to say "no disrespect", you're admitting that what you're saying is disrespectful, but choosing to say it anyway. He's just giving his advice on using a similar setup. Maybe someone else besides you could get info from it. Maybe his "hope this helps" was not necessarily directed at you.

Be patient with people and let them say their stuff. I've been patient with you on my thread about the white wire rectifier. Lately, you seem to be posting about your generator on the rectifier thread, and while it's nice that you got a generator working, please don't discourage everyone from trying the white wire in my thread just because you had bad luck with it.

So basically, please don't yell at someone for posting actually relevant info in your thread.

Last edited: