4 stroke diesel bike???

GoldenMotor.com

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I was looking into a 4 stroke build ,I have a idea about a diesel build with a 4 stroke motor.I know the motors a a bit pricey but if your going to do a 4 stroke why not do a diesel.Has anyone tried this or even thought of it.I found a motor for around $1300 4.6 hp but just imagine the milage on a bike frame and the tork would be wild.Give me you feed back on this I have got a cvt drive for a 3/4 shaft just need a motor.My HT 2 smoker was fun but I want to go for reliabilty and milage.
.wee.

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
It's an interesting idea. Give us some more info on the engine you found for $1300. I'll say that even after the hefty price tag, a diesel engine is going to be SIGNIFANCTLY heaver than a similar sized gas engine. It's not like your strapping on a lawn mower engine! The super high compression that a diesel runs at requires very stout blocks and internal parts.

Erich

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I cant find a suitable under 50cc diesel to save my life, its what I REALLY want too. If I could run a diesel I could run waste motor and vegetable oil.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yes at 72 pounds it would have to be an in frame of some kind.
It should be noted that even a 1-2hp diesel will likely provide all the torque you'd need to surpass HT motors on hills.

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I think the frame would have to really be reinforced. You get 72 pounds hanging down in the middle I think something is gonna give. Either reinforced or build a frame with a heavier steel wall. I would love to see someone do it though!

Terry

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I worked for a Hatz dealer once. We rebuilt the 6/8hp engines under contract to the military. I had to test run them after rebuilding. They produce a ton of torque. To start the rings seating you had to load them, the common practice was to wedge an oak 2x4 between the test stand and the exposed flywheel to produce a load. I had a good deal of leverage with a 4' board. You couldnt choke em at high throttle, it would just burn up the 2x4. The down side is they were noisy, vibrated badly unless on a very well dampened/engineered mount., and dont throttle as smoothly/rapidly as a gas engine. They do best in a constant load situation. It does get better the more cylinders. The little 3cyl Kubotas we sold were very smooth and tractable. I have seen a M/C or two with the diesel in the link installed, IMHO I think it to be more of a novelty than practical. I still have one of the Hatz engines if someone wants to give it a try. Cranking it will draw a crowd as it uses a hand crank.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
What is the shaft size and mounting base look like,also if you had a picture of it and some simple dementions I might be interested.I have a lot of left over 2 smoker parts from my 2 builds to trade or let me know what you want for it and shipping.
brnot
I am going to do a in frame with a lot of support for the motor and a cvt belt drive not going for a light build just something different and my freind has a biodeisel set up,that would be cool to putt down the road and smell like french fries.
.xx.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I guees that was an attempt ar humor. Though the overall dimensions are reasonable, this thing weighs a ton(almost haha). It is just too much engine for a bike, even a with custom built frame. Has a flywheel that you can bolt varoius pto shafts to. Looks like a car flywheel, bet it weighs 50lbs alone. The last one I sold went to power an open lobster boat in New England somewhere. The small ones like in the link are doable in the 2-4hp range.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'm a big fan of diesels, but I don't think they are practical in any way for MaBs:

1) They are heavy for their power output
2) They can be difficult to start when cold
3) They vibrate much more than non-diesels
4) They have a much lower RPM redline
5) They have a much narrower powerband
6) They have a higher initial cost

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Diesels also stink to high heaven, turn most everything black that's near the exhaust, and most sound like the engine is going to throw a connecting rod at any time. Some exceptions are Kubota diesels and Volkswagen TDIs. They are actually tolerable, but are way too large for a bicycle.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Could probably get rid of the starter and some other junk to knock 15-20 lbs off it. I'm sure any decent one with a decent welder could make a steel frame plenty strong by boxing in a few joints.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
If you get rid of the starter how are you going to start it? It's hard to overcome 400 PSI or more compression without serious gear reduction.
Looked it was a pull start in the pic. But then again im looking at this through a phone. I do know my 5.9 liter Cummins Diesel can be bump started pretty easy. Not to mention when I set my valve lash this fall I cranked it over by hand with a 3/8 ratchet.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I am a small engine machanic on the side and have worked on small engines all my life also had my own shop in the early 90's.I have worked on many deisel small engines,thay are heavy ,loud,vibrate and very pricey but they have come a long way over the years .My plan was to find a small pull start model light as possible 3-6 hp mount it on rubber mounts to a rugged motor mount.I am not going for light just a different ride and I know a few tricks to get them going.I was just trying to find out if anyone had done this before,thanks for all the feedback and will keep posting my progress as soon as I come up with a good motor then I will build the bike around it.Keep you coments coming please I like this site for that.dance1

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I agree I havent seen any good options for diesel motor as of yet. Certain drones that are currently being used are running off JP-5/JP-8 and these are internal combustion, not gas turbines.
I will keep looking.