Bicycle Motor Refuses to start

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Motor Refuses to start

The carb gets the gas but it's not sending it to the engine or the engine isn't grabbing it from the card. My friend has actually blown through the carb to make sure there would be fuel flow.

If the carb is getting fuel, and the engine is not, then-
1.) Fuel flow (jet) blocked, or-
2.) Air leak cause fuel to not be drawn into cylinder.

Either that or there is a mouse that crawled up into the intake and died and plugged it up.rotfl

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

Ok so I took the spark out and noticed the spark plug was wet. So I put some gas into the hole where the plug was in. I put the plug back and put it's cap back on. I pedal the bike and scotty we have a problem! She won't start still *sigh*..No shocker there really. I checked the carb's air filter and it looks totally clean and free of anything that could block the air flow.

Where do I go from here ?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Check for spark.

If you took the plug out and it was wet, the engine is getting gas from the carb.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

Check for spark.

If you took the plug out and it was wet, the engine is getting gas from the carb.

I'm not strong enough to pedal the bike when the clutch is released from a standstill. I also don't know what to look for. The spark outside of the engine before was sparking..

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Yes but if it is up like that no telling what the throttle adustment is or how much it moves around. that was my point but it got missed in all the higher tech talk lol...

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Let's review.

You have spark.
You have gas going to the cylinder.
Take the plug out and pedal the bike around for a minute to clear the cylinder of raw gas.
Wipe off the plug and then use a lighter of match to burn off any gas on the plug- careful now!

Put a TEASPOON of gas down the plug hole and reinstall the plug.

Choke lever half to three quarters up, push the tickler a second, then pedal and drop the clutch, it will start if there is spark.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Grab hold of the sparkplug while its out of the plug hole let out the clutch lever now while you got the sparkplug in your hand and its hooked to the plug wire spin your rear tire this should spin your engine. let the bike kind of tip up on the kickstand while doing this so the rear tire clears the flooor. Did you get tickled by the sparkplug while doing this? If not you have a ignition problem.

the way i described you will not have to see any spark to tell if your getting spark if your getting a good strong spark you will know it. you can then report back to us on what you've felt or found.
If the sparkplug it wet clean it off with B-12 carb cleaner or replace it with a new plug.

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

It has spark still. I seen it spark myself and so did my roommate. I did notice when I had gas in the motor that there was fumes coming from the carb by the air filter. Other than that it still refuses to start. It just makes that boooooooong noise and the sputters and stales are you slow down and then the back wheel just locks up.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

O k you want it to run send me it I'll make it go. All I need is the complete engine and the cdi box or the black box with the plug wire. also the carb. You will need to pay shipping both ways. I won't charge you for my time and only for the cost of parts if it needs any which I don't think it will need.

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

O k you want it to run send me it I'll make it go. All I need is the complete engine and the cdi box or the black box with the plug wire. also the carb. You will need to pay shipping both ways. I won't charge you for my time and only for the cost of parts if it needs any which I don't think it will need.
I'll send it off when I have saved enough up for the better motor kit i'm getting. Not sure how much it would cost to ship really. Be pretty heavy and I would need a large box and stuff to protect it. I would normally have the money but that money is accounted for till end of April. Depending what it cost to mail out I may ship out it soon.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

you see gas fumes at the breather, that ain't right.

First pour the gas down the plug hole to be sure it isn't inside the cylinder. If it starts and runs a second then you have some kind of carb problem.

Okay it it runs on raw gas then you have spark, you have compression.

Send Norman your carb along with the price of shipping a carb back to you. See if Norm won't ship you padro's carb by return mail. If you can see gas fumes it's probably flooding.

The weed eater bike did that to me yesterday made me crazy. In my case the throttle was stuck dead open. Are you sure you have the throttle assembled correctly.

Take your carb loose at the manifold tube. Do not remove the throttle assembly. Look down the tube into the carb and work the throttle see if the needle is moving up and down. If not that is your problem

you should have some slack in the cable inside the carb allowing the needle to shut the gas flow off or have you set the cable adjustment so tight that the needle cant shut down and just pours raw gas into the engine flooding it.

if it is moving correctly exchange it with norm so we can at least rule the carb out.

Last edited:

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

I've actually done that many times and the needle has no problem going up and down when I move the throttle.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Ah okay then I'm out of ideas I would just see if norman will swap out the repaired loaner carp with you. If your carb is okay then he can just save it for the next guy who has a problem.

Did it start when you poured the gas down the plug hole..

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

Ah okay then I'm out of ideas I would just see if norman will swap out the repaired loaner carp with you. If your carb is okay then he can just save it for the next guy who has a problem.

Did it start when you poured the gas down the plug hole..
Not even with gas down the hole. I will just have to send the entire kit one day to norm and see if he can get it to work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

If it has spark and wont fire with gas down the plug hole, I wonder if it has compression those are the only things that are required for it to run. If it has spark, and it has compression at the right time and it has gas even down the spark hole it has to run. at least thats what I thought.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Did you look at the mag rotor? take off the cover and the one nut that holds on the mags rotor. To get the nut off take off the clutch side cover jam a rag into the gears while trying to remove the mags side nut it should come right off. Under the nut and washer is the rotor and you should be able to see the key and slot on the rotor if they are not aligned your rotors key is sheared for some reason this will allow a spark but at the wrong time so it will never run with the timing off. You could have almost no compression and it will fire if there is fuel and spark at the right time.
All else fails I can work on it. I don't have Pablo's carb I sent it back to him after I repaired it.
Norman

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa

Here is a Canadian dealer that will get you a carb for 23 bucks but I would have a look at that key first.

Zoombicycles.com - Search
There shipping cost is more the carb. I don't think it's the carb. I think the engine is just a piece of junk and is defective.

I remove the side cover where clutch arm is. I see the gear and there is this bolt or something in the middle of the gear. That thing pretty much feel out when I opened the side panel.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

That thing is part of the clutch if it looked like a little rod there will also be a ball coming out if you keep poking aroung in there. Don't loose those or it will not work. That cover is not the covers we wanted you to take off in the first place its the cover that has the wiring going into it. You will also need to take off the clutch cover to jam the gears so you can unscrew the nut on the mag side so you can see if these key ways line up ot not.
Do you understand?

Last edited: