Filling out a reg 230 CA DMV Motorized bicycle application

GoldenMotor.com

phdatsun

Jul 21, 2012
sd
hello motakitty I am filling out the same form. After 45 minutes on the phone with the dmv they told me $20 bucks is the fee. I am sending $21 as it seems to have worked for you and the person I was talking to was very confused and origionally told me I was going to have to get it vin verified by the CHP. Anyways what did you put for a vin and engine number?

Thanks

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I didn't have to get the vin verified. Used my birthday for both numbers like someone else did. Like; vin 12221980 & motor 12221980e. It worked and not my real birthday here but you get the idea. I think the DMV has no clue about their own rules

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I didn't have to get the vin verified. Used my birthday for both numbers like someone else did. Like; vin 12221980 & motor 12221980e. It worked and not my real birthday here but you get the idea. I think the DMV has no clue about their own rules
The VIN # MUST be the serial number stamped on your bicycle.

Yes, you can make up any number on the mailed in form because there is no verification,
BUT what are you going to say to the cop who wants to know why the serial # on your bike doesn't match your license plate ID card?

Kind of defeats the purpose of getting a plate......

That would be more than enough reason to impound your bike and ticket you.

Why didn't you use your bikes serial #?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I've typed this about 50 times so far, but anyway...

Easiest thing to do is use the bike's serial number for the VIN, and use the same number with an "E" in front for the engine number.

If you don't have a serial number, (which is weird, 'cause even junky walmart bikes have them,) get a stamp kit and pound one on.

I've been pulled over on different bikes by the same cop in costa mesa, and he checked the numbers to make sure I wasn't switching plates.

He told me if they weren't correct, he could impound the bike and give me a ticket for a fictitious plate, and it's just as serious as swutching plates on a car. They could go so far as arresting you on suspicion of riding a stolen vehicle.

If you're gonna make the effort to go legal, do it right. It ain't that difficult.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
My motorcycle permit expired a week ago. Don't want to go take the permit again, but I'll be too paranoid if I get pulled over. I wish I knew someone with a motorcycle or scooter so I can take the driving text. The course is out of the question since there's none near me, that and work schedule would conflict.

Been a little over a year since I got my bike built and riding. I see plenty of plenty of people including an elder dressed business person riding his motored bike to work, none have plates or riding with a license it seems.

GarageLife714

Sep 15, 2018
2018 Rules of law changed. Any license or permit to drive scooter/ moped/ motorized bicycle. 1 time Registration and helmet still required.

GarageLife714

Sep 15, 2018
You don't need an M1 or an M2 license to ride it anymore?
Nope. If you like I have the 2018 hand book I can take pic and post it. Or you can go to dmv.ca.gov too look at the online pdf version but on page 3-4 Any licence! I was at dmv and was waiting my turn when I read page 3 any license came up I got up and asked the professional they said yep as long as it doesn't go faster than 30mph. So class A,B,C, and M all qualify for moped, scooter, and motorized bicycle. If you don't have either I'm sure a permit for c or m will suffice. Happy riding!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Nope. If you like I have the 2018 hand book I can take pic and post it. Or you can go to dmv.ca.gov too look at the online pdf version but on page 3-4 Any licence! I was at dmv and was waiting my turn when I read page 3 any license came up I got up and asked the professional they said yep as long as it doesn't go faster than 30mph. So class A,B,C, and M all qualify for moped, scooter, and motorized bicycle. If you don't have either I'm sure a permit for c or m will suffice. Happy riding!
The 2018 motorcycle hand book and dmv.ca.gov are Not an accurate way to find
out what CA CVC codes say about motorized bicycle laws.
There are No professionals at the DMV. They are drones that know nothing about
motorized bicycle laws.
The "any license" you misread was only for motorized scooters / GoPeds and does
not apply to motorized bicycles.

There have been No changes in 2018 for motorized bicycle laws. They still require
a M2 or M1.
Of course an M permit allows you to ride a motorized bicycle in the day time only.

GarageLife714

Sep 15, 2018
The 2018 motorcycle hand book and dmv.ca.gov are Not an accurate way to find
out what CA CVC codes say about motorized bicycle laws.
There are No professionals at the DMV. They are drones that know nothing about
motorized bicycle laws.
The "any license" you misread was only for motorized scooters / GoPeds and does
not apply to motorized bicycles.

There have been No changes in 2018 for motorized bicycle laws. They still require
a M2 or M1.
Of course an M permit allows you to ride a motorized bicycle in the day time only.

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
2018 Rules of law changed. Any license or permit to drive scooter/ moped/ motorized bicycle. 1 time Registration and helmet still required.
Motorcycle handbook is not the law or accurate.
This link is:
VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 6. DRIVERS' LICENSES [12500 - 15326]

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=12804.9.&lawCode=VEH

(K) Class C does not include a two-wheel motorcycle or a two-wheel motor-driven cycle.

(4) Class M1. A two-wheel motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle. Authority to operate a vehicle included in a class M1 license may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination.

(5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:

(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor,
except an electric bicycle as described in subdivision (a) of Section 312.5.

(ii) A motorized scooter.

(B) Authority to operate vehicles included in class M2 may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination, except that no endorsement is required for a motorized scooter. Persons holding a class M1 license or endorsement may operate vehicles included in class M2 without further examination.

(h) Notwithstanding subdivision (b), a person holding a valid California driver’s license of any class may operate a short-term rental motorized bicycle without taking any special examination for the operation of a motorized bicycle, and without having a class M2 endorsement on that license. As used in this subdivision, “short-term” means 48 hours or less.

(i) A person under 21 years of age shall not be issued a class M1 or M2 license or endorsement unless he or she provides evidence satisfactory to the department of completion of a novice motorcycle safety training program that is operated pursuant to Article 2 (commencing with Section 2930) of Chapter 5 of Division 2.

(Amended by Stats. 2017, Ch. 205, Sec. 1. (AB 1027) Effective January 1, 2018.)

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There are * * by "Any class of license**"
What does the "**" notation on the page say? and why did you not show that part of the page?

Section 12804.9 is in your screen shot for Motorized bike laws.
Read that section in my link in my previous post.
There have been no changes. The Handbook is just a guide.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Look i didn't come here to argue i wanted to help. Like you i wana ride too. Lets figure this out. I asked a few of the workers they all pointed to one guy. Why would he lie to me?
I am not arguing. I already figured it out 10 years ago.
You are not helping.
You are misinformed and relying on a DMV drone worker is foolishness.
They know nothing about our bikes.

The ** on your screenshot Only refers to this section:
(h) Notwithstanding subdivision (b), a person holding a valid California driver’s license of any class may operate a short-term rental motorized bicycle without taking any special examination for the operation of a motorized bicycle, and without having a class M2 endorsement on that license. As used in this subdivision, “short-term” means 48 hours or less.
But that does not change Section 12804.9 which is on your pic.
The Handbook has all kinds of mistakes and ambiguous language.
The Handbook is not the law.
This is the law so READ IT:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=12804.9.&lawCode=VEH

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Ty motorbicycleracing i see now.. Dam.... My apologies.. Sorry all. My bad.. Back to the dmv... Sigh...
No problem. We have been discussing these laws for 10 years. lol
Get an M1.
Do not get an M2
The temp M1 is good for a year by taking the written test only.
Just not supposed to ride at night.

I see you are in OC so please come out to the sat Oct 27th
motorized bike race in Perris, CA to meet the long time racers
and enthusiasts from all over the USA.
Less than 60 miles for me from OC.
Hope to see you there.

Reactions: GarageLife714