DIY tank... even if you can't weld

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Didn't read your post carfully enough, SB. Cool! this really can be done. I was excited and it's cold in the shop.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Woke up thinking about this. Keep coming back to my thoughts above. So am gonna bravely wait and see what you come up with, SB. Har, lol.

There are/is every type of aluminum fitting and pipe. https://www.google.com/search?q=alu...LuigL6sYDQAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=494

And fairly cheap; http://www.homedepot.com/s/aluminum%20pipe%20and%20fittings?NCNI-5

Hmmm. LOL, now this will be stuck in my head all day, SB!

Or to marry non aluminum parts;

Was thinking the cap off a can could be be cut out leaving a skirt/collar and use washers and bolt on like a rag joint. The axle of the wheel would be the cap. Bolted in a circular fashion like a ships doorway/hatch with rivets. Dunno if I am expressing the thought understandably.

Hey young man, you're the one who brought all this stuff up. Are you trying to contribute to the delinquency of an elder, sir! In some nursing homes that is a capital offense. At a certain age any offense is capital as it at least shows you're still alive... but I'm not that old and feeble, sir! And I have me own projects piled up involving more precious metals such as copper & brass. I leave the aluminum mining to you, sir...

And no, I don't understand about the cap. Why don't you make one and show me, eh? Heh heh heh...
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well, you don't want to rush things. Was remembering when Allen Wrench was going to use an aluminum baseball bat for a cylindrical gas tank to fit under the cross bar. If you cut it off to length and then cut a disc for an end piece, do you think you could use this stuff to close it up?

What about filler cap and outlet? Scotto would know since he has made aluminum tanks. Me little jumping bean of a brain is starting to move a bit.
SB
You are correct, SB; I did use Alumaweld to "braze" together my tank. It can be tricky stuff to use though. Yes, you will not want to rush things. Yes, cleanliness on the mating surfaces is next to Godliness with Alumaweld. Follow instructions to the letter and you should be fine. Practice with it until you know its quirks. Oh, with great care, it will bond to brass. That's what I did with my filler neck. I also used a tank liner. Caswell (sp?) I think it was.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Remember: clean the mating surfaces. Down to bare, bright, shiny, clean, unoxidized metal. Oh, and ya gotta keep it that way whilst you braze by scraping gently with the rod as you go.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, SB. "marry" is a nautical thing. You bend or marry two lines or what ever, together. I was half asleep and forgot to translate into regular, normal people speak.

What I am gonna try is the treaded short aluminum pipe and cap as a filler and brass fittings and nuts with washers for the petcock. Unless I can find em in alum.

Truly funny. When you said "contributing to the delinquency of a Senior" Made me think of you and Steve, but as the "bowery boys" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu8cQNLyL_I

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH! and found my stash of alumiweld rods and stainless brush and drill brush. As soon as I get the plate, will start a tank. Gonna call it a SBBA. Ideh came from your cantinia and this, BA's thread.

Thanks Allen. Forgot how clean the mating surfaces had to be. (LOL, go ahead, SB)

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Excellent. And i did remember something. Great to know that it works! Show us a picture, Allen.

Dan, do a thread when you make your tank. Alumaweld is a whole lot less expensive than a welder which makes tank making more accessible to more builders. I bought my little package/kit at my local tractor supply type of store. I don't remember what it cost, but was less than 20 bucks if I remember right. Glad you posted to the thread, Dan. Now get busy out in your shop and don't forget the camera.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I seen that demoed down at the Back to the 50's car show.Awesome! they also said that you could repair a striped hole by putting a bolt in and weld around it and that the new threads would be stronger then the old aluminum.

That being said i would try a steel pipe threaded nipple and weld around it then you would be able to put a hose barb in for a gas filler. and maybe for the gas line.............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is a cool thought, Curtis! Could be dogged down tight and much more stout then an alum. petcock.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Try it on a small scrap and see how it will work.

That was about half a doz .years ago still have it on shelf, but will use it maybe also for a tank.....LOL..............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Big time, SB.

LOL, "Old thread Wednesday". Every body find an old thread and bump it with a comment or thought and win free well wishes of your forum mates. Not only is there some great stuff but great folks, too.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This thread reminds me that aircraft wings function as tanks by fixing the skin of the wing to the skeleton, and sealing the gaps with either fluid or paste two part sealants.

These can often be acquired cheaply from aerospace suppliers when close to or after expiry date for aircraft use. There's nothing wrong with the product, but it's just not guaranteed to 50,000 feet and 600mph any more.

A WORD OF WARNING: ALWAYS ASK FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY SHEETS, AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. This stuff pays for being supreme as sealant by being toxic until properly mixed.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lud, been thinking about this for years. Like WW2 Allied and Axis (Asian aircraft did not use em) Fuel bladders.

They collapsed as the fuel emptied lessening the need for venting. Could be fitted into any shape or faux tank. And for those late night rides into the north end of Hartford, won't burst into flames when shot.

It has been a couple of years but did research it. You can buy the material and make one but surprisingly enough, is pricy. So was gonna experiment on some sort of jogger's or bicyclist's hydration bag. Would come with a "filler" and tubed outlet. And some sort of shutoff.

Every type of plastic you should not put gas in that I could find, I've put gas in. They have held gas and not broken down. I kept gas in a laundry detergent container for over a year and was fine. Just saying if anyone tries this, make sure gas will not pour on to your very hot engine and exhaust. Makes for an interesting day. LOL, don't ask how I know.

I made up that last part. (Was in no way "interesting" snork)zpt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Bag tanks are one way to do the job. I had thought rather of basic flat metal fabrication and/or folding in straight lines, and using the sealant for the gaps in a rivetted or screwed together tank.

That said, there was a racing Norton that had a soft soldered tank that lasted ok, so I suppose it's down to how you want to do things.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bag tanks are one way to do the job. I had thought rather of basic flat metal fabrication and/or folding in straight lines, and using the sealant for the gaps in a rivetted or screwed together tank.

That said, there was a racing Norton that had a soft soldered tank that lasted ok, so I suppose it's down to how you want to do things.
Is a cool thought, Lud. I was just extrapolating on it. You come up with some really great stuff and gets me brain going.

Cool part of this whole interweb thing. (I really hope it catches on) To get to sit and read your thoughts in all but realtime, 4,000 miles away and across an ocean. That and your knowledge of the British and European approaches to all of this stuff. Just uber cool.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'll take the easy route when my Mk2 is being built, but part of me wants to make a built up tank from 2 sheets of aluminium and a sort of bean shaped ring of cast aluminium 2" deep, all stuck together with a 2 part rubber sealant. No bolts, no welds. I just need to find some skyhooks to hang it in mid air in the frame.