New, in UK

GoldenMotor.com

Iain

Sep 23, 2014
UK
Hi,

I'm totally new to your world (motorbicycling, not Earth) but have owned and enjoyed some old motorbikes and cruiser cycles so have been in your orbit.

I recently saw a beautifully put together electric cruiser for sale on Ebay, over here in the UK, based on an early Harley. It blew my mind and with some frenzied and over excited research I soon discovered all of the fantastic stuff you chaps are doing. I'd like to get myself some of it, and will certainly be needing help.

I'd like to put together an electric board track style bike, maybe on a Ruff Cycles frame. Immediate problems include a) lack of experience and ability and b) I'm in the UK and as with most of the things that float my boat, there seems to be less going on over here.

So I'm keen to know; whether there are any UK based builders over here who might help me, whether there are any dealers for parts such as Monark here, and if I'll be laughed off the forum for asking some very basic and fundamental questions.

I come to this with no knowledge, but a profound desire to be involved, and a respect for the incredible rolling art that's on show here.

Thanks in advance

Iain

Shropshire, England

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
We're glad you've joined us. We have an electric bike section as well as one dealing with boardtrack style motorized bicycles.
Good luck and have fun.

Tom

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Hi Iain,

Like yourself new to this forum and un the UK (Kent)
Quite a way from you, but maybe I can help you source some parts

Mark

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum, Villiers. Interesting user name. Two of my bikes use the 98CC Villiers midget engine from old Atco mowers. One is on a 1934 Elgin and is set up with a 3 speed shift kit (not yet finished) and the other is on a hybrid trike and is not all that far along. The trike uses the whole Atco mower set up (minus roller and cutter)so that I can utilize the foot start and dog clutch. Love those motors!
SB

Villiers

Sep 2, 2014
UK
Hi SB,

I was looking for a 4 stroke motor for my first build, I have a slight dislike for Chinese 2/ kits ! Plus I wanted a better look for a BTR.
Anyway came across a pair of villiers stationary engines and promptly won them EBay
Motor no1 was the best condition was the better condition, some investigation quickly ended with a no spark, it could be a broken down old HT lead, but I have a feeling it problems run deeper. Motor no2 had a really weird spot when turned over and an abrupt stop, head off and a great surprise and a perfect outcome. A 3 mm biscuit of carbon sat neatly on the piston ! A carb clean later and fresh fuel and she fires into life. I'll start a thread when I'm home. Apologies Iain for jumping on your welcome thread. And welcome !

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glad to have both of you on the forum, Mark & Iain. My friend Fasteddy of Vancouver, B.C. is also enamored with these engines and Intrepid Wheel Woman (Anne) of New Zealand is using the same Villiars midget on her cyclecar.

I see that in Britain there are vintage mower clubs with some access to Villiars midget parts. No doubt the electric can be sorted out on the one engine and good for you in clearing out the carbon of the second one. I'll look forward to your thread.

You have a rich history of great old motorbikes and light motorcycles in Britain, even if they are now long gone as manufacturers. Same has happened in the U.S. You guys are in for a lot of fun with making one of your own... but be forewarned, it is addictive.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm over here. Whereabouts are you two? I'm in Brum, and have a mate in Melton Mowbray , building our own cyclemotors. Take a look in DIY bikes at the Cooper & Ludwig thread.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the warm welcome. It's a Villiers mk20 and the spark-less motor is mk25. I think the top end maybe interchangeable the stroke is definitely the same. Manual is here , nice http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/sites/default/files/opmanual/Villiers Mk25.pdf
Ah, you have big boy 4 stroke motors of serious displacement. What Anne & I have are 98cc midgets, 2 stroke, cast iron cylinder... kind of putt putt motors they used on the old Atco reel mowers. They sound nice, though, not much like 2 strokes usually sound. And they are very cool looking, in my opinion.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was in the south of England once, spent £10 in one day. Next time I'm going alone.

Iain

Sep 23, 2014
UK
Thanks everyone for your welcoming words.

Ludwig II, I'm in Shropshire so on a similar latitude.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, within the forum, to ask advice about painting and finish? I'd like to try and catch all types of builder, see if I can get the answers I'm looking for.

I'd like to paint my build in a matt brown/ rat/ rust type of finish and am curious as to whether anyone on here has done this, or could suggest paint types?

Black and red and all the others are wonderful, I just like thinks to look like they've just been dug up!

Thanks

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are a few people who have prematurely aged their bikes, hunt around the entries on paint and the vintage/replica bikes.

What are you building? You're not a Whizzer owner are you? There are at least 2 that I know of, and I'm sure one was from up your way.