Are we "Bikesters"?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hmm... no, I can honestly say I don't like the word... maybe it's a bit too close to hipster for me..

I'm a motorized bicycle rider. In my area I'm not a "1%'er", I'm more like a "0.01%'er". I don't need a category to fit in to, I am the category.

Attachments

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
I supposed bikester would apply. I built my bike to get from my apartment to my college classes. I can go from my room to the seat in any classroom in 10 minutes or less. My bike can be parked on a bike rack right outside the buildings for free whereas motorcycles/cars have to pay $150+ for a parking pass (per semester) and then walk about half a mile away to class. Maybe people should spend that money on motorized bikes! Some people park and ride the bus because it's so far. So the bike is absolutely the fastest/easiest way possible. I'm sure I've caused some fuss amongst the students and perhaps they consider me a bikester.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
I am a guy who rides a motorized bike as well as regular bicycles. I've had motorcycles in the past. I prefer a slower pace and not having to pay insurance and registration fees.

Harley59

Aug 19, 2012
Vancouver, bc
I have always disliked the term "Hipsters" and the type of people that this refers to. I have always found them to be fake and undeserving of the attention that they are trying to get.
They wear 'fedoras' that are not real, they wear glasses that are not real (frames with no lenses). Everything is about their image, which is manufactured to look cool (they think).
Up in Van here we have some people we can "Spandexers". They are the hoi paloi of the biking world. They bike in the winter (what we have of it) in their spandex because they must get to their office job just that .001 seconds faster. They look down on any one who is not of their world. I have been given the finger by more Spandexers than by motorists.

All in all I am not a fan of adding that "sters" to us. Most the the rest of the world thinks that it is an insult or at least derogatory.

My 2 cents.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the post above is very prejudicial and stereo typical and someone has a dislike of those categories he mentions simply because he is sorta programmed to, and the justification of his peers, because as Americans we are entitled to rage at each other in certain lower classes, but not at the people actually running business AND government.

But about the term "Bikesters"-
Yesterday when I read this thread I thought it not too bad, but not specific to our niche-
which should share just as much with the world of cycling as with any motorhead of any sort-
more perhaps-

but now today after thinking about it, I HATE it. I hate it a lot.
especdially at this moment in time

And for this reason- it evokes an association with the word "STIR"
and as I see it- and I'm very sensitiver to this issue,
there is already underway a Bike STIR that's purposeful and directed against cyclists in general and motorized bikers in turn by proxy

As a journalism major of long ago, its my pleasure in the age of internet, to read several papers a day, or more if I want- I have them on my favorites list-

but as an age old bike racer I'm troubled by a trend I see concerning cycling issues- usually reports of some accident- and then the volley of hostility the comments section often generates- among a disgruntled people wanting to take their anger and displeasures out on who they can- and cyclists have become that-

the mob can't take it out on the boss or much of anything else the mob considers "normal" in a suddenly more conformist, intense and serious nation.
All bike riders of any sort are to a lot of people who are NEVER on one are just another source that slows them up for a moment or two occassionally,

and the transference principle of psychology we all learned in college directs their own frustrations in that direction- the boss hassles them, so on their way home they find some cyclist to use as a speed bump- or hope they can.

So in short, again, I think there's another kind of "stir" against two wheelers already.

anyway that's why I don't like the term "bikesters" as a name for us.

I kinda like the name "hipsters" though because they might be like hippies or flower children and against the wars, which only stirs anger around us. Hipsters I think are people who see the need to not be trying to be living largest all the time maybe.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I usually refer to my bikes as mopeds so people know what I'm talking about, and mine are more like mopeds than the usual HT on a 26er so I think the label fits.

As for referring to myself as a bikester, I don't think I ever would do that because I live in the land of the hipster and they tend to be a conformist bunch in the name of "being individual", with all the clothing and accessories that go along with being part of something. I say do your own thing, have your own style, semantics and labels are just used to box objects and people into categories and control or influence them in some way. If you think and act for yourself, you are above the influence, and can make decisions for yourself and pick and choose the best bits of all cultures or styles that you find most valuable and interesting.

I guess in reference to my mopeds, I'd call myself a rider.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
For simplicity's sake, I refer to mine as a "pedmo" during those times I get swarmed by the curious rotfl

It helps that mine is still a pedal bike with an engine assist. I've even geared mine so that pedal "redline" is the same as engine redline.

In the end, I suppose the only generalizing term that we as a whole could fall under is "not quite normal"! :D

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Can't we just all get along?
And, trying to give this group one single name is like, well, I can't even describe what it's like, ain't no such animal.

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
I like the term Motorbikers. Although it might sound like a term a English motorcycle gang would use. But like most of us on here, I guess it don't really matter what we are called. As long as we enjoy what we are doing.
I too like motorcycles. I still have a 77 Honda cb 750, I had for years, and still ride. I chose to try building a motorized bike because I like to create things. And maybe because I'm trying to relive some of my youth. I love the old muscle bicycles of the 60's & 70's. I'm looking for a Murray F1 eliminator ( Western flyer buzz bike eliminator ) now.
I like to wear my leather jacket when I ride. It's hard to look cool with a day glow green safety vest over my leather, but so what. At least I can be seen.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey box kite, I'm with you, motorbikers sounds less frumpy, without the stir added. I have had all sorts of motorcycles, which were all fun. I've built many cars, street rods to classics, still own a 55 Chevy and a Honda ct 110. But, building my motorized bicycle was less expensive, takes less garage space, goes more my "new age adjusted speed," and I can pick it up and move it around, try that with a motorcycle or car!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The first motorcycles had pedals bt for law reasons I wouldnt want our "motorized bikes" to be lumped in with motorcycles so for that reason my own pet name for my bikes is mapbikes, but when I talk to others about my bikes I refer to them as motorized bikes, when you do a search on ebay for parts and pieces you enter motorized bicycle or motorized bike for the search so I'm gonna say I'm a motorized bikenor motorbiker...... people me a biker when Im on my Harley which I am only because I'm on a bike but not be ause im a. Memeber of an RC or an MC because I'm no memeber of anything, "IM A FRIEND TO ALL AND A MEMEBER OF NONE" this is a quote I heard from my grandpaw all m life and I never forgot it.

All I know is that when Im on two wheel with the wind in my face and bugs bouncing off of me Im a happy motorbiker regardless of whether im on the Harley, the Old Yamaha or on one of my four motorized bicycles, im justa ginn-in and a grinn-in..... happy happy happy...!

Map
dnut

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
motorbikes and motorbikers is always the easy way to write it, but I avoid those terms just exactly for that reason- the lay person immediately just assumes it refers to motorcycles.

Moped used to be more analogous, except it now more means "scooters" as well in modern terminology,

even though I think of my bikes mostly like mopeds- except much lighter and that roll and pedal better-
from the start my goal was to use the most modern cycling technology that still gave me a certain level of practricality for the urban/suburban small trips I use them for-

and I think a TOTAL improvement over the old moped, except for the unfortunate increase in sound.

I just usually write "motorized bike" but cringe with all the keystrokes.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I think the saying " it is what it is " applies here, no matter what someone chooses to call it it is simply a motorized bicycle and there isn't any way around that unless you remove the engine and then its just a bicycle.

I have no fear of people or what they think about what I have or dont have or what I call what I have or dont have.....enjoy what you have and call it what you want because at the end of the day know one really give a darn what you have or call it.

Map
.wee.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
To me Moped implies much more of an engine slanted build rather than a bicycle. Mopeds are more of a pedal started small motorcycle in my mind. The pedals are not meant to really propel you past starting. On our bikes, you can still pedal it as a bicycle with only a small drag penalty. Try removing the engine from a moped and riding it a few miles....
Motorbike comes closer, but people automatically assume motorcycle when they hear that.
I think of mine as a bicycle with some really good add on's.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
To me Moped implies much more of an engine slanted build rather than a bicycle. Mopeds are more of a pedal started small motorcycle in my mind. The pedals are not meant to really propel you past starting. On our bikes, you can still pedal it as a bicycle with only a small drag penalty. Try removing the engine from a moped and riding it a few miles....
Motorbike comes closer, but people automatically assume motorcycle when they hear that.
I think of mine as a bicycle with some really good add on's.
Ditto..........

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well my bikes are more like mopeds then, so I refer to them as such since people know what a moped is. Some people haven't seen or ridden a motorized bicycle and don't understand what one is.

My previous builds are more like mopeds or scooters than a motorized bicycle where you can keep pedaling (if pedaling at all lol) at near cruising or top speed. Most mopeds are ugly girl bike step-through things with parts sourced from Europe at high prices if available at all, and the cool looking top tank ones cost an arm and a leg and you could have a decent streetbike or supermoto for the price, so mopeddish motorized bicycles has been my focus. I like how the motorized bicycles can be built to weigh a whole lot less than a heavy moped, sometimes weighing half that of a moped. Mopeds have really trick well-developed engines though and they certainly can go fast if tuned and tricked out properly.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Ok after much contemplation I've come up with the perfect name for all of us ,I dub us Motorbicycle bandits , or maybe hoons hehehe or or or motorised peddle pushers , no no ,there's nothing I can think to describe us except a bunch of cool kids lol

Regards Hen