Sturmey Archer xfd hub and wheel assy from Husky question

GoldenMotor.com

N8dogg

Apr 25, 2010
san diego
I used a 3/4 copper coupling and 2 hose clamps to keep the arm in place. The clamp thing they give you wouldn't even come close to fitting on my cruiser forks. I have used it for almost a month with no problems so far.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Picture is worth a thousand words?

Mebbe... mebbe not, but it might help a lil lol

The reason the brake arm isn't directly clamped to the fork and has that lil slot is so you can easily remove the front wheel.... remember to use a lil loctite on the adjusters, I forgot with mine and the cable end plucked five spokes outa my wheel... blarg :p

No worries if you loctite tho ;)

Attachments

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Picture is worth a thousand words?

Mebbe... mebbe not, but it might help a lil lol

The reason the brake arm isn't directly clamped to the fork and has that lil slot is so you can easily remove the front wheel.... remember to use a lil loctite on the adjusters, I forgot with mine and the cable end plucked five spokes outa my wheel... blarg :p

No worries if you loctite tho ;)
Is that the bracket that came with yours? Mine is different.

N8dogg

Apr 25, 2010
san diego
Heres a picture of my rig that hasn't failed me since I bought it a month ago.
copper coupling and hose clamps as I said before.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Is that the bracket that came with yours? Mine is different.
The one that came with mine looks different too and wouldnt come close to fitting on my forks.
Interesting... Yea, it's the clamp that came with it stock and it loves to try and take a lil chunk outa my finger when putting the front wheel on lol, but it works well & it's somethin' that can be fabbed up pretty easy as N8's done :)

akohtz

Aug 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I got a heavy duty front wheel that was laced with one of these hubs. The stock clamp didn't come close to fitting the fat fork on my Huffy Cranbrook.

My searches here led me to this thread for ideas on how to secure the brake arm. Ultimately I came up with my own solution and thought that I would share.

I bought a split ring hanger from Lowes:

A simple 1/2 inch long bolt that fit the hanger side of the ring and a metal loop to brace the arm was all the more I needed. I think I spent $3.55 after taxes.

- Andrew

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I got a heavy duty front wheel that was laced with one of these hubs. The stock clamp didn't come close to fitting the fat fork on my Huffy Cranbrook.

My searches here led me to this thread for ideas on how to secure the brake arm. Ultimately I came up with my own solution and thought that I would share.

I bought a split ring hanger from Lowes:

A simple 1/2 inch long bolt that fit the hanger side of the ring and a metal loop to brace the arm was all the more I needed. I think I spent $3.55 after taxes.

- Andrew
Andrew, that is a nice fix, hope you used loctite on the bolt that screws into the split ring hanger, if it were to vibrate out and that anchor arm come loose it will likely spin until the cable pulls tight and locks up the front wheel, end result will likely be high velocity FACE PLANT after a Superman launch over the bars which will send you straight into the ground faster than a speeding bullet.....LOL!

Bairdco, who is a veteran member here had that simular thing happen to him and it got really ugly for him real quick, which included surgery and broken bones...... not good.

Just wanted to mention this just in case you hadn't used some loctite, I sure hate to see another horror story on here about a lost bolt causing someone a bad injury.

again that looks really good, keep the rubber side down.

Map
reddd

akohtz

Aug 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
hope you used loctite on the bolt that screws into the split ring hanger
Map,

You know what. You're absolutely right. If there is going to be a failure ... those small bolts holding the ring together will be the point.

I'm thinking I'll either use some loctite or I'll replace the two small bolts with longer ones with a nylock nut on the end to hold them in place.

I really really like the stopping power in this front brake, but I want to use it with total confidence.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Andrew

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Map,

You know what. You're absolutely right. If there is going to be a failure ... those small bolts holding the ring together will be the point.

I'm thinking I'll either use some loctite or I'll replace the two small bolts with longer ones with a nylock nut on the end to hold them in place.

I really really like the stopping power in this front brake, but I want to use it with total confidence.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Andrew
You're very welcome, longer bolts/screws and nyloc nuts with a dab of loctite would sure be some extra insurance, by the way I like your bike all the way around, you did an excellent job on it, very clean build.

Map
reddd

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Did you use the 3/4 copper coup because the hose clamp would bottom out before tightening all the way ? I ask because they see clamps that have the ability to tighten until they close completely

Heres a picture of my rig that hasn't failed me since I bought it a month ago.
copper coupling and hose clamps as I said before.