CDI & spark plug wire question

GoldenMotor.com

roka

Oct 9, 2012
Mesa, AZ
First I'd like to thank everyone on this forum! As a noob it's great to have a place to go to get questions answered. Not all forums are so nice. This one is (^)

OK, now my question: I'm doing my first build and today started test fitting my Grubee Skyhawk (48cc) to my frame. I couldn't get the spark plug wire to snap into place on the spark plug. While trying to GENTLY spread the small retaining wire in the cap the whole thing exploded. I did some research and have learned that the plug wire that come with the kit is junk. OK, so now I'm going to replace it with a real spark plug wire. The threads I found talking about this all had posting that said to unscrew the wire from the CDI and screw in a new one. Maybe the design has changed but the end of my wire seems molded into the CDI (see attached picture). I'm afraid to try forcing it and ruin the CDI. So right now I'm left with attaching a new wire to the end of the old one. Am I missing something?

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Yes, unscrew the OME wire out of the CDI . Inside is a screw nail , just twist your new one in clockwise. You sure to see some better performance .

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
If it won't unscrew, then cut the wire off flush and drill it out with a 1/8" drill bit. It's only about 1/2" deep. You'll fell the bit hit bottom. I've done this twice. Sometimes its apoxied in but it will come out .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If it won't unscrew, then cut the wire off flush and drill it out with a 1/8" drill bit. It's only about 1/2" deep. You'll fell the bit hit bottom. I've done this twice. Sometimes its apoxied in but it will come out .
Be very careful using this method. The newer wires are epoxied into the CDI and don't "uncrew" as easily as the older style. There is a small threaded needle at the bottom of the cavity where the wire goes in the CDI. That screw is for threading into the conductor of the spark plug wire. If it it broken, or drilled off the CDI is ruined.
The wire can be removed but you need to do it carefully and be aware of the small threaded portion. Work around the wire with a #11 Exacto blade to free it from the epoxy. Clean the hole of epoxy and screw in a new wire.

Be advised that most wire that you'll find at auto parts stores today do not have a metallic conductor at the core but a carbon impregnated thread. This is called resistance wire and it will work but that thread, core, must be securely threaded into the CDI, specifically that threaded pin that resembles the threads of a small sheetmetal screw.
Good luck.

Tom

Last edited: