What is Your favorite speed?

GoldenMotor.com

BlueWhizzer

Jun 4, 2012
Eastern PA
I took my garmin 305 on a whizzer ride a few days ago to see how fast I was going and my favorite speed was about 18mph. I would have guessed it was a lower speed than that, the old Whizzer rides pretty good I guess.

What speed do You like to cruise at?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My favorite speed for my MB is between 20 and 25 depending on smoothness of road, steepnesss of grade.

(My favorite speed when I owned a Datsun 260Z was...well, I just decided I don't want to talk about it. :) )

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I ride with a digital speedo and confirmed it matches my GPS within less than a mph. When I look down while crusing, I usually see 26 to 28 on my 66cc 2stroke. It runs best there.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
yea, around 20's usually good in town on the beater, but 15 seems quick with a loaded trailer. Even with potholes mapped out on my normal routes. :)

30+ on the 29er in the boons, she'll do 36 but just because it'll go that fast doesn't mean I want to rattle the chompers the whole time eh. But then 25's a nice gas sipping cruise in 7th gear and low rpm.

Usually depends on how much of a hurry you're in. :p

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Interesting question,
Now that I've been riding a 99 Predator four stroke with a great front fork (Suzuki k10) I find myself going faster than when I was riding an unsuspended 2 stroke. Then it was probably around 20 mph. Now it depends on where I am. I have the good fortune in the summers to be in northeastern Minnesota next to Bearhead State Park. The five or so miles through the forest from my place on Eagles Nest Lake to Bear Head Lake is virtually without traffic at all. No potholes. Nice shoulders. It is a perfectly banked winding up and down race track. I like riding at around 30 to low 30's on that road, pushing it up to around 40mph sometimes. I don't feel unsafe when I do that. The bike runs smooth, I have good control and the road is perfect.

In town or on poorer roads or around other vehicles I go slower. There's no death wish, but I do like hearing the exhaust pipe and feeling the wind in my face... being a boy again, in other words.

In the winter I ride back mountain roads in northern Maryland where the drivers are less courteous, in more of a hurry and the roads are narrower and have almost no shoulders. I'd say around 20 to 25 in that situation... goosing it up to 30 once in awhile so I don't forget what that's like. Ha!

With the dog in her trailer everything is slower, down to 15 or 20. And I always wear a helmet, no matter what speed. A mirror with a good sense of what's behind me is essential. I'm sixty seven years old, but on the bike I'm twelve again. Keep it safe and don't do what I do!
SB

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My speed varies there are times that 10 miles an hour is very pleasant. Then sometimes 40 fits the bill as traffic has to be matched a tad in different places in my city.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Coasting-

I'm Always shutting the motor down when I know I'm gonna hit a light or come to a stop sign-

My bikes will coast three blocks or more with their narrow wheels once I get up to speed- a good half mile with no headwind.
so I figure every bit that I coast with the motor off is a bit really more like good ole bike riding- and then there's still the bits I pedal- in the parking lots or perusing garbage or in the park.

When I fist shut off and I'm at about 25 or 30 it always reminds me of just after the finish of a road race or criterium- at the end of the sprint, and I'm just really moving-

I get up on the pedals and just enjoy the moment- slalom around a bit
and I didn't have to ride a 100 miles or pedal up to speed to get there.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I kind of thought the same thing after hearing so many claims of "My buddy clocked me doing 73 on my stock engine". I figured, everyone else must AT LEAST be cruising in the mid 50's <joking>

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Most of the speed claims are a bit absurd I think- but some guys like to squeeze every rPM out of a screaming motor-
Me? I want the thing to last and not be tinkering with it all the time.
A 36 or smaller sprocket is essential though, as it allows you to reach surface street traffic speeds with a LOT less reving and noise and vibration. I like those more narrow wheels and tires and try to give the bike and motor every practical adbvantage I learned from road racing bicycles.
But you must be comfirtable with the ride- after 14 years of racing the narrow thing is still comforatble- and efficient. But I'm always looking ahead and ready. 25 and 30 stills feels pretty fast on a bike in traffic, and I still have basically the same bicycle brakes.
I DO NOT want to crash.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
22mph seems to be my *minimum* speed. I can putt around as low as 8-10mph which is around idle speed, but the power band on mine really starts at 22mph. Below that I don't have nearly the power. I'm sure an expansion chamber would help with the low-end.

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
I am fond of a speed around 20 with my 49cc BGF motor. Seems to cycle nicely and makes a nice sound in the pipe. Im thinking of removing the interior of my lil black cat pipe. Noise volume doesnt bother me. its a motor. let it be a motor and make some noise!!

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Im a little spoiled in this dept.....after putting a 99cc Preddy to my bike.....The motor loves to churn at about 4500 RPM (happy purr!!!!).....at that RPM and my gear reduction that puts me at 36 MPH

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i cruise at 36 kph,20 or so mph,vibrates the least.
the 66 cc i dont know yet,still tweeking it.
putting on front shock forks and new tires,so i will see...