Found a slipping clutch cable fix.

GoldenMotor.com

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
My clutch cable, at the engine end, used to slip through the cable lock. No matter how tight I tried to get it, little by little, the cable would pull through.
Then I put another cable lock on the end, with the "nipple" butted up against the first one. Tightened it down. Voila! I have used the two in series for several hours now and no more slipping clutch cable. Try it you will like it.
A person with more skills than me could buy the cable locks, and braze or solder them together, and make millions:)

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
It also helps if you melt solder on the cable, keeps the cable from crushing and helps to prevent wear. Makes the cable much tougher.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gud deal LF.
I got a backup lug on mine from day 1 so I didn't need to over-tighten mine... cuz that establishes a weak point where they will eventually break. and I got the tail of the cable wrapped back and tied off with a couple zip ties just to make everything real ugly! lol
Best
rc

...solder on the cable is wise... all of 'em!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It also helps if you melt solder on the cable, keeps the cable from crushing and helps to prevent wear. Makes the cable much tougher.
This is the way to do it. Clean the cable of any oil/grease/gunk and solder the strands together to make a solid wire instead of stranded. It will give the set screw a place to bite instead of crushing the strands. It also makes disassembly/reassembly easier if the need arises. Note: Solder only the end of the cable, not the whole thing. :)

Also cables stretch, especially clutch cables. New installations will naturally require some adjustments until the cable finally finds its tensil length. On a new install, I keep the clutch lever locked in the disengaged position for a few days to keep tension on it. That speeds up the 'stretch' time and eliminates some of the adjustment normally required.
Tom