Chain and master link questions

GoldenMotor.com

FlyingHorse87

Jun 27, 2010
Jeannette, PA
I started my first build a few days ago and have lots of newbie questions. I started to insall a Flying Horse 66cc engine on a 7 speed cruiser, then switched to a single speed lowrider with coaster brakes because there was to many levers on the handlebars. I had already cut the chain to fit the first bike and no bicycle or motorcycle shop near me has 415H chain or master links! I went to the hardware store and got a package of 41 size master links, they looked close to the same size but it jammed in the engine case. I don't wan't to grind the case for clearance since it hasn't even been started yet. Then I found a chain repair kit at Walmart for $4.96 and tried it, the chain won't fit in the breaker. I have enough chain left to make it fit if I could find a breaker that fits the chain. Has anyone lenghtened a chain using this method? Also are all 415H master links 3/16'' wide, I'm going to have to order some extras anyway.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One way is to go back to where you found the #41 master link and buy a length of chain that will fit your installation. #41 is interchangable with the kit supplied #415 as far as sprockets go but there is enough difference that the master links are not interchangable. That's why it bound up in the clutch/sprocket cover. The #41 is probably a better chain anyway and will work for you. Good luck.
While we're on the subject there is some interference with the chain and clutch actuator cover on almost every kit. I'll look and post a link later for you on that modification that will eliminate some chain noise.
Tom

Try this> http://motorbicycling.com/f4/chain-noise-6682.html

Last edited:

FlyingHorse87

Jun 27, 2010
Jeannette, PA
Thanks Tom, I'll give that a try. In the meantime I found a local shop that sells 415H master links, so I'm probably going to run my chain untill it wears or breaks. Is the #41 chain smoother running? I've seen others talking about using it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
FH,
Typically you'll find the industrial #41 chain better quality so therefore a smoother runnig chain. I've often seen the kit supplied #415 chain that had stiff places, kinks and twists all of which can make for a noisier and rough running chain drive. If you run the 415 check it for tight rollers and for straitness by laying it out on a flat surface and looking for uniformity in the way it lays. Expect it to show premature wear as compared with the #41.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The nice thing about #41 chain is it's just a little bit wider which means a slight misalignment of your sprockets which would cause problems with #415 chain not be a problem with #41 chain.

And like Tom said, it's a much smoother running chain.