first build,tools needed?

GoldenMotor.com

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
im going to build my first bike and im wanting to know what i will need to complete the build as far as tools go...thanks for any info.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Mac. I am sure I will forget some thing but some one will help us both out. I am guessing your mounting a 2 stroke kit? At least one 10MM wrench. A second one that ratchets will save you a lot of hair pulling. A chain breaker Or a good sized hammer, nail and a punch will also work but is a pain. Screwdrivers. For the life of me, I can not remember what size nuts are on the tensioner and tank. There are a few more. After a nap I might know what they are. lol

Seems the most common mistake we all make during first builds is over tightening.

post lots of pics!

usflg

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Howdy Mac. I am sure I will forget some thing but some one will help us both out. I am guessing your mounting a 2 stroke kit? At least one 10MM wrench. A second one that ratchets will save you a lot of hair pulling. A chain breaker Or a good sized hammer, nail and a punch will also work but is a pain. Screwdrivers. For the life of me, I can not remember what size nuts are on the tensioner and tank. There are a few more. After a nap I might know what they are. lol

Seems the most common mistake we all make during first builds is over tightening.

post lots of pics!

usflg
Yes I agree watch the amount of pressure you use when putting on the nuts.Most stock studs & bolts are 10mm and I believe the tensioner bolts are a 14mm.Before you take it for a ride,recheck all of the hardware,head bolts etc. just to be safe.Good luck with your first build!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Keep in mind that your bicycle, now a motorbike, will also require more maintenance.

I recommend a good assortment of bicycle maintenance tools like hub wrenches, headset and bottem bracket tools in addition to the regular assortment of mechanics tools including but not limited to socket set, metric wrench set, adj. wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, snips, allens etc. The more the better. You'll need them all at some point.

As far as getting started or if your checking your inv. to make sure you already have it, the above is all good advice!

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
i have a good assortment of tools already...im an electrician by trade ,but no bike specific tools...ive been searching the threads and i will basically need metric wrenchs and allens based on what ive been told so far......thanks to everyone for all the advice,this a really helpful community.shft. as far as loctite...is the red the one to use?...or blue?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
i have a good assortment of tools already...im an electrician by trade ,but no bike specific tools...ive been searching the threads and i will basically need metric wrenchs and allens based on what ive been told so far......thanks to everyone for all the advice,this a really helpful community.shft. as far as loctite...is the red the one to use?...or blue?
Use the blue locktite...the red will require heat on small fasteners: in the event you need to remove them.

Jim

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
thanks jim...i checked out your website and im interested in the motor mount and sproket and mount...i have a delmar...will these items help as far as ease and final finish quality?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
thanks jim...i checked out your website and im interested in the motor mount and sproket and mount...i have a delmar...will these items help as far as ease and final finish quality?
The sprocket adapter and sprocket will definitely help with ease of assembly, and offer a far superior finished product in terms of vibration and maintenance. The engine mount offers ease of assembly, and enough vibration isolation to prevent frame cracking.

Check the coaster brake arm for the hub model...if it's the Falcon CFE-10, I would really recommend replacing it with the shimano CB110 / CB110E.

I assembled a Schwinn Legacy that had this hub...here's the post.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/falcon-cfe-10-hub-13163.html

Jim

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i blew up a falcon hub as well. the guy at bikedump in ottawa said it was inferior and they all do it....
i forgot about what i was posting in lolz

you need blue threadlocker. nail polish works too i have hered.

metric wrench set from 8 to 15mm
(i think the tank nuts are 8mm...)

you should also remove the studs for mounting the engine and intake/exhaust and replace them with 10mm metric bolts. the studs will break, mark my words. an atv/motorcycle dealership should have metric bolts. just ask them if you can go look in their hardware bin for what you need and offer them some money.

lockwashers of course.

make absolutley crtain your chain tentioner is tight and correctly aligned.

if you have a problem with teh chain rubbing the tire, you should install the sprocket with the dish facing out.

most importntly, do not forget about the boards, and remember we can help!
-dave

Last edited: