coaster brakes

GoldenMotor.com

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I feel like an idiot coming in and asking all these newb questions, but its better to ask them now rather than learn the hard way. I was just at WallyWorld looking at the bike I'm considering and ran into something that made me stop to consider: it has rear coaster brakes. (as in pedal backwards to stop.) Does this in any way effect the bike's ability to be hooked up to the motor? I'm guessing it doesn't, but would rather not risk it without checking.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It still works but you may run into trouble with it later on as coaster brakes weren't designed to stop from 30+ mph and they do fail often once motorized. If you can, find one with V brakes or weld on the pegs to your frame so you can add V brakes.

The best system of all is a disk brake but most the bikes with disk brakes are quite a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than trying to convert a non disk brake bike to disk if you need to buy the bike before doing your build.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
they have 7-speed cruisers there too that have good brakes & easy to build rear wheels

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
It still works but you may run into trouble with it later on as coaster brakes weren't designed to stop from 30+ mph and they do fail often once motorized. If you can, find one with V brakes or weld on the pegs to your frame so you can add V brakes.

The best system of all is a disk brake but most the bikes with disk brakes are quite a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than trying to convert a non disk brake bike to disk if you need to buy the bike before doing your build.
Good to know; wouldn't want the breaks to suddenly give out mid-ride. I was thinking of actually replacing the front fork with the front fork off a moped and putting disk brakes up there that way, and just keeping the coaster brakes in the back for slow decel; main thing I wanted to know was whether the brakes themselves would somehow interfere with the engine system, however the added info about the brakes giving out is worrying.

As for welding, I'm afraid that's a bit beyond my expertise.

they have 7-speed cruisers there too that have good brakes & easy to build rear wheels
That's true. The problem though is that I'm specifically looking at fatbikes and while there are fatbikes out there that have multi-speeds and disk brakes, they didn't have them at Walmart (with the exception of a kids bike), and all the ones that I've seen online cost a buttload more.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The only interference you might have is the brake arm that attaches to the frame might need to be bent (z-bend) to clear the bolts that hold the sprocket. Everything else will work just fine.

Just a word of advice. 'Fat Bikes' often require custom, off-set engine mounts to get tire to chain clearance. The means fabrication of the mounts.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I don't recommend coaster brakes for the simple fact that if your pedal chain breaks you have no rear brake.

Not to mention you have a higher chance to "pogo stick" a pedal off the ground in a turn because you can't reposition the crank as easily.

IMHO, coaster brakes have no business whatsoever on a motorized bicycle. I don't even trust them on pedal bikes, myself.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yep. Drive sprockets are easy on many 7-speeds, I like the Macargi Pantera, the drive sprocket pretty much aligns itself on the hub.

A decent 7-speed beach cruiser is easy to find for ~$200-$300.
I recommend you get a self-adjusting dual pull brake lever as well so you only have the clutch lever on the left side.

One other tip is lose the front derailleur if it has one and use a rotary shifter for the rear gears on the left with the clutch.

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
The only interference you might have is the brake arm that attaches to the frame might need to be bent (z-bend) to clear the bolts that hold the sprocket. Everything else will work just fine.

Just a word of advice. 'Fat Bikes' often require custom, off-set engine mounts to get tire to chain clearance. The means fabrication of the mounts.

Tom
Yeah, already considered that. Was figuring I'd use a shifter kit, sending the drive power directly to the pedal chain and avoid the double chain issues altogether. Thinking something like this.

I don't recommend coaster brakes for the simple fact that if your pedal chain breaks you have no rear brake.

Not to mention you have a higher chance to "pogo stick" a pedal off the ground in a turn because you can't reposition the crank as easily.

IMHO, coaster brakes have no business whatsoever on a motorized bicycle. I don't even trust them on pedal bikes, myself.
If I have a shifter kit on, then if the pedal chain brakes I also have no engine connection to the wheel. As long as I get a front brake on it I think I should be ok; I shouldn't be expecting to endo just from front braking, should I? (Have to admit that I'm used to bikes that have a bit more weight on the back; I never had problems resorting to front brakes on a Vespa or a motorcycle, but I guess the weight makes them different.)

Yep. Drive sprockets are easy on many 7-speeds, I like the Macargi Pantera, the drive sprocket pretty much aligns itself on the hub.

A decent 7-speed beach cruiser is easy to find for ~$200-$300.
I recommend you get a self-adjusting dual pull brake lever as well so you only have the clutch lever on the left side.

One other tip is lose the front derailleur if it has one and use a rotary shifter for the rear gears on the left with the clutch.
What I'd really love is if I could loose the pedals, put in pegs, get multiple gears in a gearbox with a R-side toe shifter, a left side toe lever for the rear wheel hooked up to a drum or maybe disk brake, and front (disk) brake controled w/ R-hand and L-hand controlling the clutch. Will take a little while to convert all that...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
KoOni,
I'm not trying to be sarcastic but it sounds like what you want is a motorcycle. You need to check your local laws pertaining to pedal requirements. Many require pedals or the vehicle will be considered a motorcycle and must be insured, registered, etc. as such.

As far as the coaster brake question you must remember that when you ask a question here what you'll get is answers, actually opinions, based on the experience of the one posting a reply. I have two bikes with coaster brakes, both are heavier than a lot of bikes and they both have a lot of miles on them. I've never had a problem with the rear brakes. Not one. That said, I will admit that these bikes have front disc brakes which I feel is the best brake availavle for a bike, or any vehicle. However, I use both front and rear brakes when stopping or slowing.

Good luck with your project and check those rules before putting too much effort into the build that you described.

Tom

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
KoOni,
I'm not trying to be sarcastic but it sounds like what you want is a motorcycle. You need to check your local laws pertaining to pedal requirements. Many require pedals or the vehicle will be considered a motorcycle and must be insured, registered, etc. as such.
I'm glad you're not being sarcastic; to be completely honest though, I kind of was (being sarcastic, I mean.) I was joking, and apparently you got the gist of the joke but not the humor. :p

For the most part I know the regs on motorcycles, if this state is anything like the last one I lived in if it is 50cc or under then you don't need a motorcycle license, insurance, or any of that junk. For the most part the cops will leave you alone if it looks like its that size. Even so, I do have a license to ride motorcycles.

Part of the fun for me in this is that it gives me the chance to build something motorcycle-like, but keeping it a bit smaller and quirkier.

As far as the coaster brake question you must remember that when you ask a question here what you'll get is answers, actually opinions, based on the experience of the one posting a reply. I have two bikes with coaster brakes, both are heavier than a lot of bikes and they both have a lot of miles on them. I've never had a problem with the rear brakes. Not one. That said, I will admit that these bikes have front disc brakes which I feel is the best brake availavle for a bike, or any vehicle. However, I use both front and rear brakes when stopping or slowing.
I do understand that I'm dealing with individual opinions, but the more opinions I get, the more I can get a rounded out understanding of the subject to inform my decision (and believe me, it will be my decision in the end.) I'm glad to be able to learn from your opinion/advice/experience as well, so thank you.

Good luck with your project and check those rules before putting too much effort into the build that you described.

Tom
Thank you again. As I said, I was being a bit silly when describing what I'd love to have on the bike, especially the part about replacing the pedals with pegs. I might find a way to put some pegs further forward on the frame to use when cruising, but probably won't take off the pedals.

I do like the idea of having gears though, and with a shifter kit that is possible, but then again, most coaster break bikes are single speed...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Reading text, and reading faces, body language and voice inflections are two different things.
It's not always easy to "see the humor" when all we have to go on is the printed, typed, word.
I applaud your plan to build a bike that suits YOU and nobody else. That's the way it should be. But we do make an effort to pass along information that might save you some grief down the road; hence the warning about pedals.

Please keep us informed on your progress. An ambitious attitude will help you with it. :)

Tom

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I shouldn't be expecting to endo just from front braking, should I?
Depends on the brakes. I can do a stoppy on my longtail cargo bike that weighs 50 pounds (no motor). I endo'd it once when the fender seized the wheel. This is a bike that you'd look at and not think it possible to endo. I can lock the wheel up front with the disc brake that's on it. So by sticking that all together, I can theoretically endo with just a front brake given a panic grip and traction.

On my bike I've got a 200mm disc up front and a a coaster in the rear. After riding with it a bit, I do still want to add a rim brake in the rear for an "oh crap" option when that coaster isn't cutting it.

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Just looked up the laws, and am totally confused:
DEFINITIONS OF MOPEDS AND MOTORIZED BICYCLES

MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE - R.S. 32:1(39) defines as every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor not to exceed five horsepower.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed at no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

REGISTRATION OF A VEHICLE - R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or any other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving.

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION AND TITLING

Mopeds and motorized bicycles shall be registered and titled upon presentation of the following:

1. Notarized certificate of origin or title

2. Bill of sale

3. Evidence of security interest must be filed by a UCC-1 or equivalent form or by filing of the security agreement.

4. Odometer statement

LICENSE REQUIRED

1. - A motorized bicycle shall only be operated upon the roadway of the highways of this state by a person fifteen years of age or older who possesses a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement and shall not be operated upon sidewalks, interstate highways or impeded traffic flow.

2. No person may operate a moped or motorized bicycle without adhering to laws governing the operation of motorcycle including the wearing of approved eye protectors or a windshield and the wearing of a helmet.

NOTE: MOTORIZED BICYCLES SUCH AS POCKET BIKES AND SCOOTERS THAT DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POLICY SHALL NOT BE REGISTERED.
This is a lot more complicated than my previous state.

So... what is a "maximum design speed"? Is that the maximum speed the vehicle can do without burning out the engine, or is it the speed that the vehicle is designed for usually traveling at?

And whats this about "R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or any other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving." Does that mean that if it isn't designed for freeway use then it doesn't need to be registered, or are they saying that all roads are highways? I mean, if its just referring to freeways then that would also rule out a lot of scooters and some smaller motorcycles from needing plates.

But if it does need plates, how the heck is someone supposed to get a bill of sale/title on what started out as a bike... or an odometer reading, for that matter. Am I breaking the law if I don't hook up an odometer to the thing? How the heck do they enforce this **** when I see motorized bikes riding all over the French Quarter; are all of them breaking the law if they aren't licensed?

KoOni

Aug 14, 2014
New Orleans, LA
And whats this about "R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or any other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving." Does that mean that if it isn't designed for freeway use then it doesn't need to be registered, or are they saying that all roads are highways?
Just looked it up, according to CHAPTER 1. LOUISIANA HIGHWAY REGULATORY ACT, PART I. DEFINITIONS AND GENERAL AUTHORITY
(25) "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place of whatever nature publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for the purpose of vehicular travel, including bridges, causeways, tunnels and ferries; synonymous with the word "street".
Ugh, so that means that even gasbikes need to be insured, titled, and licensed here, but nobody pays attention to the law. >.<

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
From my experience I would steer FAR away from coaster brakes for three reasons. 1, coaster brakes are NOT mean't for high speed braking. 2, Over time from constant back breaking you will destroy the bearings in the single speed hub. 3, coaster brakes have the ability to interfere with sprocket bolts and chain once things start coming loose.

I will post a fine example to what a coast brake setup can do to your sprocket and hub.

Notice the circular striation marks from sprocket rubbing against the coaster brake. SMH

Last edited: