Durable tire for reasonable price?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
bigbutterbean, I am curious about the new tires you installed. I want to replace the doubled Bell comfort tires that have been run for 4K+ miles with good tread life. New Holmes SS spokes cry out for new tires. The Kendas you purchased look nice, but how do they perform? I do all of my motorbiking on city streets. How puncture resistant do you rate the Kendas? Are you satisfied with the cornering feel? What wet weather experience can you add? Any additional comments from other members would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dude, I just changed the tires yesterday. I can't answer those questions yet. As for flat resistance, I buy tubes with slime in them, so flats very seldom occur.

IlliniRider

Jul 4, 2012
Champaign IL.
bigbutterbean, thanks for the reply. I knew it would be a while before you had some road experience. Please keep me in mind. Anyone else wish to enlighten me?

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I've had good luck with Kenda tires. I've got the Kenda Flame 2.125" but they measure out to about 2.3" once inflated LOL. The rubber seems much better quality than your normal flea bay tires.

@Illini - you put 4k miles on one set of tires?!!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I also like the Kenda K-Rads for all-around street riding when they are on sale. They hold up pretty well and grip the road nicely for a "knobby-ish" looking tire. They are available in various widths up to 2.5" Check them out.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, I drove back and forth to work today (first time driving the bike since changing the tires), and the ride was amazing. Very smooth tires. Much less rolling resistance. I think these tires should last awhile. With the mileage I put on my bike, I'd be happy if they last at least six months, and I think they will.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
I just bought a tire white side wall 26 x 2.?? and a slime filled tube for the rear tire have tried it out on a short run it was perfect tire was 17.99 tube was 7.99 so I am now a happy rider again for less than 30 bucks oh yeah was bought at academy sports store

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just bought a tire white side wall 26 x 2.?? and a slime filled tube for the rear tire have tried it out on a short run it was perfect tire was 17.99 tube was 7.99 so I am now a happy rider again for less than 30 bucks oh yeah was bought at academy sports store
Tires over 2 inches have always proved problematic for me in the form of the chain rubbing the tire. Plus frame clearance is really tight here. If I get a fat tire, it'll probably rub the frame to begin with. I can resolve the issue of the chain rubbing the tire by moving the chain line (adjustable sprocket adapter and jackshaft output sprocket) and that would give me a few more mm between the chain and the tire, but then the chain would rub the frame lol. So its really best for me to keep my tires under 2 inches. Plus I don't care for whitewalls. They look great at first, but wait a month or two and they will be brown and black and everything else. I got two tires on amazon for $30 with free shipping, and already had the Slime filled tubes (which I swear by, won't ever run a motorbike without them). For the price I got these tires for and the way they feel and look, well worth it to me. I might have gone with more expensive tires if I had the money and knew it was worth it, but I had other parts to order with this paycheck. I had a pair of the same brand (kenda) before, and they lasted a good long while. But I'm glad that you're happy with your purchase and on the road again. After all, that's what its all about.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
LOL actually the only reason I bought the white sidewall tire was because the only other tire there that fit my bike didnt have a price on it . Just a querk of mine I never buy thing in a store that dont have the price displayed . But thanks yes I am happy to be rolling again . Oh yeah and I agree 100% about the sime filled tubes .

Last edited:

IlliniRider

Jul 4, 2012
Champaign IL.
bigbutterbean, you have sold me on the Kenda 838s. I ride 100 or more miles per week so a nice ride is important. My old behind is not as well cushioned as it once was. They will look cool on the trash I ride. Thanks for the report.
Groove, yes over 4K on a doubled up set of Bell comfort WallyWorld specials at 65 psi. I must say the ride was rough but bulletproof. I ride like a teenaged fool so I was very surprised at the longevity. Thanks for suggesting the Kenda Flames.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
bigbutterbean, you have sold me on the Kenda 838s. I ride 100 or more miles per week so a nice ride is important. My old behind is not as well cushioned as it once was. They will look cool on the trash I ride. Thanks for the report.
Groove, yes over 4K on a doubled up set of Bell comfort WallyWorld specials at 65 psi. I must say the ride was rough but bulletproof. I ride like a teenaged fool so I was very surprised at the longevity. Thanks for suggesting the Kenda Flames.
For me, the 838's are like riding on a pillow. I inflated them to 40psi, the pressure which I normally prefer for most tires, and they have a cushiony yet firm feeling to them. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get them with free shipping, and $30 is well worth the money for the way these tires look and feel. I'll be sticking with these tires for awhile, as long as they last more than a few months.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You can always resell them, or keep them till you do have a use for them. I've kept a few parts for "future" builds. I don't know if I will build another bike for a long time, but I still have parts tucked away just in case. At the same time, if anyone wanted/needed these parts, they would be made available. Almost anything you buy new is an investment one way or another, because eventually you will use it or sell it.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Ya I purchased 2 sets of 24 inch tire from feed back on a post... Now I have them and no use for em....o well
Yes, I have my share of those types of purchases. Right now I have a plasma cutter. Didn't think my bid would make it, just put a low ball bid up. Low and behold now I have a plasma cutter. Been looking to barter it on Craigslist. So far nothing.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you buy the 838's, be VERY careful using your front brake in the rain. I have taken two spills now due to my front wheel locking and skidding from hitting my front brake too hard. I'm going to be extremely careful and drive much slower in the rain now.