well just moved and got my self a nice sized shop out in the country.

GoldenMotor.com

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
just moved on to family land. and theres a nice sized house and old slaughter house out there i figure itll make a pretty decent shop :D so time to start filling it with tools. i think im gonna start with metal working tools of sorts and balcksmithing :) cant wait to have all this space to work on things.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is cool Deslo. Just having the space to putter and tinker makes a world of difference. LOL, and a place to hide.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wisconsin huh? My advice? First thing to do is install heat. :)

Good for you. You can never have too much room in a work shop. Enjoy and maybe post a picture of your shop.

Tom

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I've got a small shop at my other house that's got a woodstove in it and there's nothing like having a nice fire in it, in the middle of January and be able to work with warm-toasty tools! I love wood stoves......and bills burn really well in them too!

.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have gas heat in my garage/shop and it will keep the air temp up just fine no matter the OAT. But that concrete floor can be like walking on ice. Carpet? :)

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wanted to ask. I would like a fire or wood fired heat. I have lots of wood Any thoughts on a DIY wood stove/heat?

Not meaning to go off your topic and just asking. 'Tis the season to shiver, lol. Well, soon to be

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
if i was willing to forego insurance,i'd build it from a couple 15 gallon barrels,one above the other,top one for a labrynth and piping to pull as much heat as possible from the chimney pipe.but it then creates a creosote buildup depending on the wood used.

i have a wood chief cabinet style heater in my garage,the part to get through the wall was 600.00.but now no worries,and cleanout is outside.the chimney is a sentinel,if i recall its good for 2100 degrees,so not likely to burn through in the event of a chimney fire.

i heat my house with a wood pellet fuel furnace.

but Dan,you should be able to heat that little shop with a candle.
the clearance you need around a wood burning anything would eat up a lot of space.

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Wanted to ask. I would like a fire or wood fired heat. I have lots of wood Any thoughts on a DIY wood stove/heat?

Not meaning to go off your topic and just asking. 'Tis the season to shiver, lol. Well, soon to be
Dan, they make a wood stove kit in which you supply a drum. I've seen them for 35 gal and 55 gal drums. Although I've never built one, I did have one once that someone else made and as long as you don't get that thing burning so hot you can light a cigarette off the side of it, it will last a long time and really pump out the heat.

I'm sure you can find them cheaper, but check out this website:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/wood-stoves/barrel-stove-kits.html

Also, you could line the inside of it with fire bricks too.....that's what I did.

Attachments

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i hope you and your family love your new home sounds like its the kind of place i would like to live .
also has anyone found anything that harbor freight dosent have?

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Dan, while it is not a DIY device, I have read many happy customer reviews about this little stove for use as a shop heater. Just don't forget to fireproof the floor underneath it (like one would do for any stove of this nature).
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=cast iron heater
Pretty darned good price too.
Yeah, those heat really well, but the problem with those is that it has a very small firebox so you'll be feeding it very often, especially in January. When it comes to cast iron stoves, look around and buy a larger used one, unless you have one or two grand to blow on a new one. One good thing about that harbor freight one is that it's small and a lot easier to move if you have to and you can still make boiled coffee on it.

Last edited:

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
ive been busy working on sealing the place up a lot of air leaks around the doors and windows, already got a okish wood stove in it keeps the place pretty warm. and since it used to be a slaughter house its got a walk in cooler in it so its pretty easy to warm the place up and close the cooler keeps it nice and warm in there spent the night out in the shop with my buddy was doing some work out there pretty late woke up sweating so im guessing all the work i did sealing it up last night worked out pretty well.

ive got the walk in cooler set up with a 5 piece couch a small sectioned off room with a bed in it and a bar with mini fridge and i just set up internet out there from the main house with a second pc so i can look stuff up with out having to go in the house.

its quite the cozy work shop and ill defiantly snap some pics to post later today hopefully

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
and as promised pics of the inside down stairs area of my shop.

my chill zone to get away from people

my buddy chilling on the couch watching a movie

Last edited: