The Basics

GoldenMotor.com

geohaydook

Oct 13, 2009
New Orleans
I am thinking about building one of these contraptions for commuting (2 miles a day) and light
erands. I see a lot of them in town and they look like a blast. However, before I jump in I do have some questions.
Are these kits really "Bolt on"? What can I really expect?
What is the best kit in therms of quality?
What is the best style frame to use as a base?
Any advice will be greatly appeciated.
BTW I am a former motorcycle mechanic so I know which end of the screwdriver to use.
Thanks again!

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I recomend dax or zone 8 both have held up to the warranty and are very close in quality, and look at some of the pics posted on this forum, there are some nice mtn bikes, i ride a cruiser and love it,

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
IF you are very careful and choose a frame with not only enough clearance but is also the right shape - yes, it's a very simple bolt-on. The easiest bikes are those with the traditional triangle shape, this is getting harder to find nowadays what with oversized D-tubes and unusual bends. Grip shifts are also common, you can get around that with a thumb throttle tho. Pedal crank clearance can be a concern, needing about 4 1/4" between them to clear the motor - most fit fine.

All in all it's only the rear "clamshell" sprocket mount that is tedious in any way, you can skip that headache by pickin' up the Manic Mechanic Sprocket adapter;
SPROCKET ADAPTER

Although the supplied sprocket and mount is ...usable and many do - as a motorcycle mechanic you'd prolly be horrified by it heh

Yet with a bit of patience and creativity (and a lot of cussin') you can motorize just about any bike with enough room to fit the motor. If you decide to go cruiser style - those bikes have SO much room you can even use an engine mount platform (also available frm the dealers here). I of course went with everythin' I just warned against lol my mountain bike was a tricky build, at least it didn't have grip shifters. I also commute with mine on a daily basis, rain or shine - I've had no problems :D

The 'Grubee Starfire' is the kit that generally includes the better components and here is list of the businesses I've had good dealings with (in no particular order);
ThatsDax: bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor
SpookyTooth: Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home
BikeBerry: Bicycle Engine Kit - Covert any Bicycle to a Motorised Moped. 150 MPG!! Wholesale Beach Cruisers, Chopper, Mountain, Road, Tandem and BMX Freestyle Bicycles. - BikeBerry.com
Sick Bike Parts: Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance Parts for Your Motorized Bicycle
Manic Mechanic: MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm

Most of those folks are often on this forum too - a handy thing no doubt ;)

Good luck - I'm lookin' forward to seein' yer build!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I bought a Grubee from King's...I ordered a 80cc got a 48cc...they wanted a pic so they could tell what they sent me. I am not dissatisfied with the product just seems instead of an adjustment on a future purchase they shoulda just gave me a credit on my card. I had a problem with Fed Ex delivery as well their only courier. That being said I will most likely buy my next kit from Dax. He is here online and from everything I have seen is more than fair and the support you get is awesome. Go look at his step by step instructions on his web site then compare to the instructions from others. He builds em, services em and has even given me support though I am not yet his customer. Most of the other vendors are just that vendors.