Winter Build

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I posted the pics. of my Winter Build on the contest site. I will put some of the details here.
It started as a 35 year old Huffy Mt. Havoc 10 speed Mt. Bike I picked up for $20. I liked the bike because of the spring suspension on the front fork. I replaced the old rusted chrome wheels with alloy wheels and new rubber. I doubled the thickness of the rear drop outs with brackets I made from 1/8" plate. All of the parts, Headlight, Taillight, Rear Rack, Chain Tensioner, Air Breather, Fuel Tank, and Nitous Bottle were machined from 6061 Aluminum. Everything is functional, at this point except the Nitrous. It will be as soon as I install the small (Whip It Nitrous Cylinder) inside the bottle cover and hook up the button. I am planning on using compressed air stored in the frame tube to operate the nitrous switch. About the only thing I used from the original kit was the engine, it was purchased from Power King Shop.

John

Attachments

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
As soon as i saw your name on the post, I knew this would be a cool bike. I was right!
Did you make the tank yourself or is it a part for something else? Very Nice.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
As soon as i saw your name on the post, I knew this would be a cool bike. I was right!Did you make the tank yourself or is it a part for something else? Very Nice.
* I made the tank out of a piece of 6061 Aluminum tubing. I machined the end caps, and cut o ring grooves in them. I made it as long as I possibly could, so it holds 1 quart of fuel. That's enough for an old timer like me. I generally only ride about 10 miles at a time.** John

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Very cool! I wish I was talented and had access to machining tools...

(thinking about taking some machining classes at the comm college one of these days though...that or welding)

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Very cool! I wish I was talented and had access to machining tools...

(thinking about taking some machining classes at the comm college one of these days though...that or welding)
It really is a fun hobby (Machining) when you arn't doing it for someone else because you have to.
That is where it all started for me, about 35 years ago taking tool and die at a local comm. college.
You can actually pick up some small used machines pretty reasonable. I have alot of time now that I retired, so if you ever need anything machined, shoot me a picture and if I can make it, i'll do it as cheap as possible.

John

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Hey cool, good to know.

Speaking of small inexpensive machines, for something that would get fairly light to moderate use, what do you think about those cheaper "3-in-1" things available at Harbor Freight for a decent price? (Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices as an example)
I don't know what those would be like? They would probably work o.k. for small parts mainly made from aluminum and plastic (Delrin) Probably wouldn't have much power if it came to turning a piece of steel. I know a friend of mine bought a small bench lathe and the only thing he could turn was plastic or it would slip the drive belt, or stall the motor.
Jet makes some really nice small machines that are really good quality for the money. My large drill press is a Jet.

John