Skiptooth sprocket question

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was just looking on eBay under Hornet to see if I could spot my bike and ran across this... 260485434816 item, which suggests there was a straight bar DX. On the same page was another item also for the straight bar DX. So, I'm back to thinking the graphics were right as a model indicator. Still looking, however...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
i'm pretty sure i found your bike.

1950 schwinn hornet.

the sprocket's right, the paint's right, the seat looks right, and it's a straightbar.

looks like schwinn went to the cantilever frame right after your model.

i found it here: Nostalgic.net - Antique and Classic Bicycles

check it...
Yes, it does look right. I also learned that there was a straight bar DX as well as a DX with a slight curve to the lower bar cross bar, so it is one or the other, a Hornet or a DX. I may never know since the tank and chain guard were missing. Decals may have been the only difference anyway. Thanks for looking and also thanks for the link. I don't dare look around there right now since there are things to do outside. On a snowy day with a cup of coffee I can 'window shop' looking at all the cool old bikes on the site and take my time. Thanks!
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't think there was ever a straight bar DX... DX's are the curved bar!! I think the seller of the ebay bike is misinformed!
I'm not sure why you keep trying to convince yourself that you have a DX?? The straight bar Hornets & such, are more valuable & much more cool than a DX!!!

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm calling it a hornet.

since you're not restoring it to it's original state, just look at it this way;

you found an AMERICAN made bike for FREE in the GARBAGE, that is the perfect setup for the motor, while almost everyone else is PAYING for a CHINESE made bike that IS a piece of GARBAGE. :)

(no offense to people with walmart bikes, but c'mon...)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't think there was ever a straight bar DX... DX's are the curved bar!! I think the seller of the ebay bike is misinformed!
I'm not sure why you keep trying to convince yourself that you have a DX?? The straight bar Hornets & such, are more valuable & much more cool than a DX!!!
You may well be right and I make no pretense of knowing anything much about this. Initially I went with the graphics in a book I had which matched up with the DX models. Then I was pretty well convinced that it wasn't a DX after you mentioned the curved upper bar. Since the picture in my book covered two pages, I couldn't tell if was straight or slightly curved, so figured you were right. Then I saw the eBay listings for two different items from power sellers... one was a decal set and I don't remember the other which said it was for the Hornet and straight bar DX models. Since there was no evidence of a springer ever being there I just figured it was probably the cheaper bike. Doesn't really matter now since the frame is the same as the hornet and i guess panthers. I kind of wish the serial numbers gave more information than year of manufacture. I'm not trying to be a butthead about this. Its OK with me if its a hornet or a panther or whatever. As Bairdco pointed out, it's a 50 Schwinn cruiser and it was free. Pretty good.
SB

jcshiloh

Sep 10, 2012
Texas
Ebay has several Skiptooth Sprocket chains between 50 and a 100 dollars and the small Skiptooth Sprocket as well. It’s kind of expensive but your bike is a very nice classic.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I have asked about using the skip tooth chains at a local antique bicycle store.
What I learned was:
If you can get ahold of a rear sprocket that has an even number of teeth, you can file down every other tooth and keep the skip tooth chain if you want to.
Standard bicycle chain is 1/2 pitch. Skiptooth chains are also known as "inch pinch" chains.
Do the math.
That is exactly what I did. My 20t rear became a skip 10.
I used a angle grinder. Sorry not the best angle but it's the only pic i have.

Meccanica

Jul 21, 2012
Connecticut
I had that same frame in red and contemplated using it for my build but went with an old Columbia Rambler instead because the engine mounting was more difficult to sort out on that frame. The engine fit ok but the mounts would have to be extended really far and the angles were not lining up too well. Certainly not impossible to mount a motor on it but not very straight forward either. Good luck!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re-reading this old thread is a trip down memory lane. I must have a couple of thousand miles on that bike by now, many many hours of good riding at any rate. It has gone through numerous changes of engines, forks, gas tanks and just keeps getting better IMO. Now it has a sidecar, in frame gas tank and a 99 Predator engine, but I doubt this is it's last incarnation (I call it an "American flyer"). I still think the straightbar Schwinn is one of the nicest looking and most comfortable frames out there. It fits me.
SB

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
I used a standard single speed freewheel sprocket on a 42 Schwinn skiptooth by grinding every other tooth. Works fine. You can get chains on ebay for a reasonable price, it takes awhile to win one cheap but I did for about 25.00.