CAUTION: Slippery when wet !!!

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
It was raining yesterday here on my way home from work, but it was'nt really that hard, coz I can ride without any rain gear... I was going downhill probably about at 60kph... Some cars were faster than me so, I thought that makes me slower so I can brake faster than them, but there was heavy traffic ahead. The car ahead of me stopped. I was about 2 or 3 cars away when I applied the mechanical disc brakes, then I noticed I was still going too fast... I applied more brakes, and swerved my rear tire to the right, which had already locked. So it skidded, luckily no harm done. I was still about 1 or 2 feet away before hitting the car. But it was really scary, close call... I noticed there was this big painted arrow on the road. This probably caused some of the tire slippage I experienced. Which brings me to a question... If i was riding a motorcycle, would i have hit the car? does this mean that riding an MB is a safer? Maybe not, maybe the additional weight, and larger tires of the motorcycle would probably give more traction than that of bicycle tires, but since motorcycles are heavier, would the motorcycle tires be enough to stop all that momentum?

anyways ride safe always... the cars might be faster than you, but it does'nt necessarily mean that you're slower...

Last edited:

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Close one! If you lock the front brake on a MC you're done.
Locking the rear is controllable to an extent.
The light weight of the MB saved you (just my guess)
If you were on a 400lb motorcycle you may have wrecked.
Glad nothing bad happened!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If this happened on a motorcycle, the outcome could have been the same or it could have ending in you rear ending a car., or worse, what if this were an intersection, and you slid into the grille of a dump truck coming through the intersection?

Here are some contributing factors-

Too much speed, not enough distance, or poor judgment of your riding situation.

The painted arrow, or any painted surface like a cross walk or dividing line is ALWAYS slipperier, even when dry.

Also, the middle of any lane is slipperier wet or dry because that's where most vehicles leak oil/trans fluid/ect. from, stay out of it.

Look for sand and/or gravel, dark spots, leaves, road kill, ect. when riding.
Always look where you are going, not right down in front of you, you are already there! Keep enough distance from the vehicles around you (especially those in front) and be aware of all traffic and road conditions.

Slow down, be aware, and ride like you want to ride again tomorrow.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The first few minutes of a rain are always the most dangerous because the oil from cars gets washed across the whole road.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
yup, when it rains the oil on the road smears all over the road. If u ride a mountain bike, I'd suggest, if the side of the road(part that is not pavement(just grass. and if its wide enough between the road and the ditch, if there is one)when its raining, if the ground is rather smooth with no treacherous dips or holes, just ride on the side in the grass. Your wheels get more traction on grass and dirt than pavement. just a idea :)

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Be careful.

Once when riding a 250 cc Honda I slowed to cross Rails in a light drizzle and when the back wheel got on the rail it gyro-ed me down to the pavement.
If that had happened at say 35 mph the car behind me would have hit me.

I am aware that it will only take a rock or something similar to cause harm @ 25+ on a bicycle.

So I think the "if you can read this you are too close" is more than a funny T-Shirt. It should be on the back of the Bike imo.

So far I have had the passer and right turn kind of hazard and the passing too close to the bike type of hazard.
It's a mater of time but I am told the flashing LED makes folks think of the Police so I ride now with that flashing LED on.

Good thread even if it is old.