For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

I checked and it was a new can. Chianti is a personal favorite of mine though I haven't had it in years. Wicker wrapped goodness and yes there was a two day recovery period as I recall.

Being young, married and broke we all hosted spaghetti and Chianti suppers with our friends. The real treat was when someone brought a bottle shaped like a fish or a rifle. They were expensive and they held a lot of wine.

The tricky one had a very large bulb at the bottom and a very long and narrow neck. Much like a yard of ale glass. You had to catch it just right or you wore the wine. Finally we caught on and poured into a pitcher so we didn't lose any.

Monday mornings could come to soon.

Steve.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, Steve,
Believe it or not I still have the bottle I took to that infamous party. It's about 3' tall and the neck is a spiral. When you poured from it you got to watch the wine twirl down the neck. I use it as a coin bank now and when you drop change into it the coins twist around as the fall into the ball shaped bottom. Oh, and its a horrible shade of green. Just like I was after it was empty that night.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

That's the ones I'm talking about. There was absolutely no mercy when you reached the bottom either.

The absolute worst wine overdose I ever had was when my brother was care taking a house next to the farm we lived on. My wife was in the city so it was all her fault for not stopping me.

They had 25 gallon demi johns of wine in the basement and they sent my brother down to get a couple of bottles from one of them. A real nice red and it was spaghetti night of course. I get there and after a half hour they ask me to check where my brother is.

It unraveled faster than a cheap sweater after that. He's been down there about 45 minutes when I got down there and and he's lying on the big piece of cardboard that the wine was sitting on with the siphon hose in his mouth like a hooka pipe. I sit down and he passes me the hose and I'm away.

A good 45 minutes later they miss me and send someone down to see what happened. At least another 45 minutes later they miss him and the owner comes down and there we are, all in a different state of drunkenness.

I woke up the next morning on their front lawn just as dawn broke through the trees and the German Shepard woke up beside me and started to lick me face. I was too sick to move and the dog wouldn't stop until I summoned the strength to roll over out of range.

A lot of them never made it out of the house until later in the day.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,

With a name like Yates Wine Lodge I would have pictured the the parking full of shooting-brakes and the ladies and gentlemen discussing a good day of hunting grouse.

What's in a name.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

I just looked again and your right. If he wakes up and pours a cup he maybe in for a nasty surprise. Then again he might not notice the difference given Ludwig's description of the wine.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just had a sobering thought and comical conversation with my wife, Char. She was telling me that the hospital where she works is developing a new concept set to be completed in 2020. We laughed because she plans to retire in October of this year. She said, "I won't be around to see it." We went on to talk about our concept of years and the age we live in.

Who remembers a song by Zegar and Evans titled "In the Year 2525". It came out in 1969 and who of us could even concieve of that far in the future? The year before Stanley Kubrick brought us '2001, A Space Odyssey'.
2001? I was 21 years old. I couldn't even imagine 2001. It was pure science fiction.
As our conversation continued we both laughed when I said, "Babe, we were born back in the 1900s.

And look at us now. It's 2015, and we're still kickin'. All of you reading this must be doing something right.

Hang in there Steve. :)
Tom

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Fredric, you're not alone, I've snapped the chain one of my pedal bikes 2 days in a row
trying to maintain cadence to long starting up a hill, a mile from home both times.
You don't wanna hear my weird thoughts, but they involve telepathy & hormone
driven young women.

daxtitg

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
FastEddy,
The last time I drank T-bird was in college at Ullr Dag in Breckenridge Colo
winter of '67. I had a bota full of the stuff. That was the night the Hoosier
Pass Cafe closed permanently while I hid under the bowling machine with
some skinny chick in the midst of a full on John Wayne barroom brawl. The
last thing I recall was waking up on the ski area road after my roomate ran
off with the skinny chick in my '57 chevy.

P.S. Years later that roomy went to jail on 27 counts of burglary. I hope yur
still there you $%#^#. Ya left me to freeze to death!

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tom,, Yep, grew up in the mid-1900's we did! Another illicit beverage I was fond of was Ripple wine. Those were the daze.

Dan

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
Ahh the days of MD20/20 and mornings of who? what? when? where ? me ?? ohh d__n my head hurts . wow that phone is loud then sitting up and waiting for the room to quit spinning . But now we have all learned from those days and that never happens to us now and if it does -- We all know how to cure hangovers instantly --right ?? I sort of remember once when I was in San Francisco , There were all of these bands paying tribute to some star who had passed away . Miles of one band after another people everywhere sitting in the park listening . One group saw me wandering around alone and invited me to join them . I did and I am not sure of what all we did . But I do know it took me 3 days of riding buses up and down Golden gate park before I found my car again . I wonder how I ever made it to be 67 and still healthy enough to go riding on my MB .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fredric,
You've survived because:

As a kid you got out and played in the dirt. You weren't worried about germs getting you, or the enviroment , or ISIS, or the depleting ozone layer, or global warming or falling down and skinning a knee. You rode your bike without protective gear, you were out in the sunshine, and even rain occasionally. You touched dogs and might have even gotten dog hair or slobber on you. You explored things and actually interacted with them instead of looking at images on a computer. You learned the hard way that if you touch something hot you'd get burned and didn't need warning labels or government protection or lawyers standing by to file lawsuits against the makers of a ladder that YOU fell off of.

The world was a safer place when we were growing up. At least compared with the imagined threats kids face today. They live in a state of fear. Too bad.

Tom

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
WE are kept in a state of fear because it's a huge money maker. From
fear of terrorist making billions for the military industrial complex to fear
of fat, BO, & bad breath turning us into social lepers. Toenail fungus will
spoil any chance you've ever had of finding true love.

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Good take fellas! But "O", I gotta tella ya' that I have true (lucky for me) and I'm developing toenail fungus on mi right big to. Should I just cut the toe off and become NineToe Jr?

Dan