YAJSQ (Yet another jackshaft question)

GoldenMotor.com

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Good Morning fellow motorbicyclist!
It's been a while since I have been on the forums. The busy-ness of life has not allowed me to ride or tinker for some time with my bike. Now however, I am rethinking where and how I want to ride and have been considering some changes.
Here is a refresher on what I have. 1993 Scott UniTrack CST mountain bike, RockShox, Dax Gen IV 66CC, and LEB Speed Carb, SBP Expansion Chamber(original build thread).
I am looking at moving more toward offroad trail riding more, and was considering going with a jackshaft setup probably from Dax. This would eliminate a few problems I am currently having, such as without having a front derailleur anymore the chain jumps down sprockets, and, of course the age old issue of the rag joint chewing through spokes. I have read quite a bit but cannot find a definitive answer on the question.

EDIT: So I found the answer to my original question. I found the instructions for SBP kit. So now my next question would be how different is the SBP jackshaft from Dax's? Both vendor's provide awesome products (I have Dax's engine and SBPs exhaust), but I am breaking all my piggy banks just to afford anything. I don't see instructions on Dax's site though and would be curious how they compare.

Attachments

Last edited:

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
I'm wondering the same thing. The Dax kit a around $100 cheaper than SBP, and I wonder why. I'd love to put that money into a custom gas tank. I can find tons of reviews of the SBP kit, and all are great, but none for Dax's. Anyone got info on the Dax China girl shift kit? I can't even find any good pics of one. They look basically the same, a 2 sprocket shaft mounted to the seatpost that drives a second crank sprocket that freewheels.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
That $100 is for the HD freewheel and extra tools to do the job. Compare the bottom line SBP kit with the DAX and they are both $139. Me? I'm likely to spring for the top of the line SBP kit. They have the tools and the development. The HD freewheel will cover any intended power increase and I need the specialized tools, PLUS SBP has done the development on tensioners. I can buy and bolt on if I need them.

I have a similar bikes and intentions. Keep me informed on progress.

I am riding a Tribal Chunk HC (this is a generic picture before motor)
It is a Kona Hoss clone with a chro-mo frame and cheaper hardware. Still a very nice bike.

My other bike is a CCM Torrent AL (again a generic picture before motor installed)
Rear suspension has been modified and fixed for now. This is the one likely to get the jackshaft kit to go with the rear suspension.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Anything Less than a SBP'shiftkit is Junk. I have over 7,000 miles 4 engines 6 sets of tires and 3 girlfriends on mine lol. The engine is a CRMachine 8hp "TIGHTCASE" and is JUST AS GOOD AS THE DAY I ORDER IT!!!!

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
Ok so that about settles it. Thanks for the details about the tools included with the SBP kit. Kinda makes a Ktm build seem more and more logical to me....$200 motor kit and odd bits + $300 for shift kit and drivetrain......roughly same cost but more components and complexity than a single speed Ktm motor and drivetrain with at least triple the HP of a china doll.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I've gota KTM 65 watercooled going on a SBP'S HD shiftkit going on a GT-2-A-S frame and 8speed cog with Teny Mags. If ever get free time to finish it lol.
14HP@14,000RPMs O yea .wee.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Huffy,
I dunno, Dax is about one of the only vendors here that I would trust. SBP is one of the others that I would trust. Dax's site says it is super duty so I would say that's closer to heavy duty than not. Just because it's less expensive doesn't mean that it's inferior quality. Sometimes yes, but again, Dax is well trusted vendor. Perhaps he just has lower overhead and lower profits. I am going to reserve judgement until I hear from someone who has a Dax kit to decide.
Actually thugh I have done some reading on trail riding. Anything other than a straight bike is highly frowned upon riding fragile desert trails. So I looking into getting a good mountain bike instead of a shift kit.

Last edited:

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
I'm with you on Dax, that's why I'm getting in on this. His prices, selection and product all seem good to me. I just want to feel more like I'm saving a buck instead of cheaping out...I know the SBP rep is one of quality, so the old get-what-you-pay-for might lend me to buy there, but I need two kits.....big difference between $300 and $500....So my inner cheapskate is having a hissy fit. I could buy one of each....I might buy one of each...

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I volunteer my services to be professional reviewer for Dax's kit. I feel certain that I could write a consise unbiased, detailed review of his kit, therefore giving more people a good reason to seriously consider buying his kit and therefore boosting his sales and increasing his profits!
What-do-ya-say Grady? Ship me out one of your fine kits and I can let the fine people of this and other motorized bike forums know exactly how well your kits work for the average joe. Just email me or PM me and we can work out the details. I feel certain that I could do justice to this project and give your version the proper exposure that it deserves. Thank you.. dnut

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
.trlrl.Well, actually no...

The SBP base kit is just for completely stock engines with nominal power and torque. And as SBPs site states:
The difference between HD and standard kit: HD kit comes with our specially designed Heavy Duty Freewheel for those more aggressive riders and engines with compression mods.
To me that sounds like a oxymoron. We are buying the shift kits because we don't WANT just a stock ride, so if I am going to go as far as to get a shift kit, I have PROBABLY already modded my engine to get more out of it... (shrug). Buying the base kit is like buying single ply toilet paper, you KNOW it's just not going enough for what you need. :p

Dax's kit is advertised as "Jack Shaft Shifter Kit Super Duty" which to me implies that it will work with modded engines with more power. It SOUNDS like the SBP HD kit though there is no real info I can find on his site.

So you have the BASE SBP kit for $140. OR the $200 SBP HD Shifter Kit vs the Dax Super Duty Kit for $140. Not apples to apples my friend.

Thusly the reason for the original (actually secondary) question:

"What is the difference?"

Last edited:

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
I mean for real Dax needs to hit this tread....super duty? I saw that too but no nice product description. I don't even know what I'm getting if I order Dax's kit.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The general buzz is that buying the standard duty kit is a waste of cash since you WILL need the HD freewheel soon anyway.
Dozens of people have tried running the standard duty kit. Maybe 3 didn't break it immediately, and those three broke it within a week.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The only difference between the standard shift kit and HD kit is the freewheel bearing itself.
$20 for the cheapie, $80 for the good one.
That is your $60 price difference.

In normal operation the freewheel just happily free spin so your pedal don't move.

On a 2-stroke the pawls are used the opposite way as well to pedal start the bike.
When you are slamming the pedals down hard to start it, especially with compression mods, those cheap ass pawls fail.

Sure, you can get away them on a 48cc stock and pull start 4-stroke, but you don't want them on a 66cc.
And just to add insult to injury the bearing never breaks friendly.

They are hard enough to remove as it is, when I had one go bad (swapped out a 48cc engine for a 66), I had to get a new crank arm too, which means a set, and then a new good quality bearing.

Unless you have a pull start save yourself the grief as it's a big expensive gamble.
Your $139 kit ends up being $239.

Last edited: