Sportsman 80 Build

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
It's being hard to find time to work on my build, but finished up a few items tonight. Here is the reduction drive system being assembled with chains cut to size.

Sportsman 80 by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Looking back to the rear wheel and sprocket adapter. I had to trim the fender to clear the chain. I mentioned this earlier that I add an offset to the coaster brake arm so I can move the adapter as far to the left as possible for chain alignment. Running my reduction system on the 110mm spaced pedal bike frame works but things are tight.

Also threw on one of my more comfortable cruiser saddles. The Brooks was nice but these really are much more comfortable.

Cruiser Saddle by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Finished up the exhaust pipe. Short but sweet. I kept pipe short and up in front of the engine so you can never bump your leg into the thing. Keeping it short makes for as few welds as possible.

This is the removable baffle I used. A very simple part. I figure if it's too quiet I'll just cut it shorter. One thing I find with the 80cc engines is a quiet exhaust really reduces the power. Definitely a balance between noise and power. Hot rodding 101, right?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
All finished up and ready to ride. Remember that muffler insert? Man it choked off the engine. Just too much baffling. I was lazy when I installed so instead of bolting into the pipe I welded it into place. I took a 1" round bar and drove it through the middle to flatten out the baffling and now the engine runs correct. It also added about 7 mph to top end. So, don't run it as is.

I added a nice rack so I could add panniers.

Adding the rack and bags added probably a 1/2 day to the build. Sometimes the simplest things take so long to work out properly. Here is a picture with the bags installed. Since the wife will be riding this I needed to make absolutely sure the bags would never foul the chains. The final install of the rack and bags came out nice. Think I'll run down to the store and grab a six pack to make sure the bags can carry a load. Oh, better grab two so I don't throw off the balance of the bike.......

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I had to finish up the "bagger" for my wife as I had traded off her other cruiser for my old truck. Now that that's done I can get back to helping my brother finish up this crazy cycle truck and get back to race bikes.

Just wasn't on board for the whole cycle truck thing as the frame design was a big challenge, but now that were well into the build I can see it will be pretty cool. This will be a "big block" build and has the necessary engine mounts and rear hub spacing. I actually made up a second set of frame tubes so I could build one out as an 80cc, too. I really like the small displacement bikes. Anyway, this cycle truck will be getting an electric start engine, full charging system, and a vintage box up front. Should be the ultimate pit bike!

Sportsman Cycle Truck by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Last edited: