Can I hurt anything by doing this?

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm sort of relieved that this post has something to do with motorized bicycles. I believe the general rule of thumb is the longer your header pipe is the more bottom end power you get and the shorter it is the more top end power you get. There are some good threads in this section explaining it in more detail. Look for threads about expansion chambers and tuning a pipe. You can also find a nice animated thingy about how exp. chambers work.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
You are welcome. Also just do a general search of the whole forum for "expansion" and you'll pick up threads from other categories and get more detail on tuning and maybe re-jetting. But I can't imagine you'd hurt the engine by extending the pipe.

happy riding

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I am modifying my Torquer II exhaust. Does it matter where the expansion chamber is located when I extend the pipe?
Yes of course it matters.
The Torquer II already is tuned for bottom end with a fairly long header.

Google how expansion chambers work.
Extending the header before the first cone like you did will make it ineffective.

How long in inches is the first cone from the cylinder on your install?

I saw your pic on Facebook.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That should work better, but do t weld it together until you test ride it to be sure the power is where you want it... you can do this by using a section of rubber hose and clamping it together, it'll last long enough for testing, then if happy with it you can weld it up, if the pipe comes on too soon and runs out of breath too early then you can shorten the header until it's where you want, and if it's coming on too late, you can extend the header accordingly.

texfromkansas

May 7, 2015
Kansas
Davezilla;613859if the pipe comes on too soon and runs out of breath too early then you can shorten the header until it's where you want said:
This is my first build so I wouldn't know what running out of breath or coming on too late is like. Not sure what to listen or feel for.