nexus 3 hub with China girl?

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Is a China girl kit ok to use with a internally geared hub?
I'm thinking of using my nexus 3 wheel set with my build.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
For a jackshafted shifter yes.
For a direct drive no, the hub is too fat for the direct drive spocket without an ~$80 adapter.

Coaster brakes or any multi sprocket shifters are best.

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Nexus the second choice 1st attempt and second to follow up. likely for most OK, this is what I got after wasting a ton of time and money.And I suggest this, remove the cover from the clutch / pressure plate 1st. 2nd remove the pressure plate, you'll find it secures with the butterfly nut and three pegs surrounding it. You must decide on a gear ratio I'm trying out a 14 tooth to begin with. OK you'll need to decide upon extending the butterfly nut with a threaded stock or the correct diameter with locking hardware or simple weld a sprocket two the pressure plate and reassemble it. Find the correct rod or bolt to space the cover plate I'm going to try out the #35 chain it is 3/16'' X 1/2 " and slightly wider than the bicycle chain yet much stronger not a perfect fit but it will likely work fairly decent with the thin bicycle sprocket or sprocket set . I'm yet to finish the one I'm working with and hope the little 3 speed don't strip, the casing is lightweight and I'm liken to shift it at full throttle now and again ,mostly NOW and now is every chance to run it ..Good luck I think I've advised fairly well the project is not too complex I'll run a freewheel single of some variation with it as well may need a lock for the hub to the sprocket to start unsure yet mine is yet to be completed..https://youtu.be/cX2cwqnOmYo Yes and I got the think linked and it would NOT peddle start with that setup,as featured.Had it apart several times..

Last edited:

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I'm just asking if it's OK to use a wheel with a nexus 3 speed hub on a mb. No jackshaft, just kit sprocket.

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
I run one on my bike. I don't run a shift kit.I use a manic mechanic sprocket adapter. I have well over 1000 miles using that hub. Hope this helps...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I never had any luck getting a rag joint sprocket to mount over a Nexus 3 speed hub.
The hole in the sprocket it too small.

They are however awesome for a jackshaft shifter build.

Sure you can put a ~$80 clam shell and sprocket assembly on or make the rag sprocket hole bigger, but to answer your simple question I advise saving the 3-speed wheel and just putting a single speed coaster brake wheel on for easy direct drive install.

Sorry I was asking BGF what he was talking about.??
Use caution with that...

BoyGoFast is not the BGF know for selling cheap 2-stroke kits on e-bay, he just re-registered with that well known name after a couple of his other names were banned here for going into other peoples topics and rambling on about some odd idea he has like now.

This latest one is apparently attaching an output sprocket to the clutch plate.
Who needs that pesky 'ole clutch right?
Expect to see that same vague comment in every shifter topic until staff has had enough again.

This is almost as good as the diamond encrusted rims and solid silver brake pads for the 'ultimate' V-brakes he used to like to post in any brake topic he saw.

I am all for innovation, heck many here do that every day and make a topic to discuses it, then there are those that won't simply make their own topic and show their progress because, well, there never is any ;-}

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
You've convinced me. I'll get a different wheel. I'm still not sold on that rag joint and think I'd be better off with the clamshell.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I never had any luck getting a rag joint sprocket to mount over a Nexus 3 speed hub.

They are however awesome for a jackshaft shifter build.

Sure you can put a ~$80 clam shell and sprocket assembly on or make the rag sprocket hole bigger, but to answer your simple question I advise saving the 3-speed wheel and just putting a single speed coaster brake wheel on for easy direct drive install.

Use caution with that...

BoyGoFast is not the BGF know for selling cheap 2-stroke kits on e-bay, he just re-registered with that well known name after a couple of his other names were banned here for going into other peoples topics and rambling on about some odd idea he has like now.

This latest one is apparently attaching an output sprocket to the clutch plate.
Who needs that pesky 'ole clutch right?
Expect to see that same vague comment in every shifter topic until staff has had enough again.

This is almost as good as the diamond encrusted rims and solid silver brake pads for the 'ultimate' V-brakes he used to like to post in any brake topic he saw.

I am all for innovation, heck many here do that every day and make a topic to discuses it, then there are those that won't simply make their own topic and show their progress because, well, there never is any ;-}
Having just been distracted and given a headache by nonsensical gibberish from BoyGoFast on a different thread from this one... I have to wonder what this person is doing and I don't know whether or to be annoyed by his shared idiocy or to feel sorry for his being clueless. BoyGoFast, please, refrain from giving any advice which is not backed up with personal build experience, in your case documented with pictures. And given your history here just read, don't write anything at all. Cease and desist. I'm crying "uncle" for all of us. You are wearing us out and a newbie reading one of your posts is bound to get bad advice which could have tragic consequences. Either go away or behave yourself. As the bard said, "Begone dull care".
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Originally Posted by KCvale

KC, our suppliers must be providing us with different sprockets. The center holes in mine are large enough to fit over the Nexus hub. Didn't have to enlarge it any. In fact there is a good 1/8" of clearance.

Tom

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Well due the complex number of issues I was not sure I would get this sprocket.It is a #35 I must match it with a second #35 mounted on the Nexus 9 T/ 50 T ? unsure yet. Most if not all of this idea warrants welding the idea is not as complex as finding the center line of the pieces. The sprocket must be cut to sit closest to the pressure plate yet must provide space for the #35 chain
Yeah if you have a decent shop this idea can be executed in less than an hour. Sure, the number #35 setup will glide smooth and run well tight the 415/420 won't I've not tried a 410 but the #35 is lightest and rates @ ~2500 lb. That's it it's not an easy setup and I've only got it loosely fastened to look at. The Clutch will work with this mounting if done correctly and the pegs that hold the plate will carry most of the weight on the spring loaded set with a small dab of lube.
Yeah the cover will need to be spaced AWAY from the movement. This is not the best setup and for ease of start/stop it's close to the least desirable if not the least..Got the entire SBP KIT only need part of it with this type of setup and this idea is not final it's only in the planning stage and may not find completion ..

Attachments

Last edited:

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
the number of issues on the last resort #35 9 T/50 T idea is chain clearance and alignment and start stop issue on the setup 66 cc /Nexus combo. Sure It's much easier to take a file to a 44 T sprocket and enlarge the center out to ~1 11/16'' that's if you wish to run the 44 T, it that also requires re drilling the sprocket and the three piece washer set that's with it in the kit..which you will need to do to link it to the Nexus with the ~1 3/4'' center section .....the idea it to use to kit sprocket keeping in mind the dust cap on the brake hub centers the sprocket, as does the housing once you get it apart take your pick and keep it tightly fitted

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
We've had a breakthrough here!

I actually did understand those last two posts from BGF. I mostly understood, anyway.

He's suggesting running the final drive off of the clutch pressure plate. (This is the first time I could make any sense out of his photos, too, by the way)

I'm not at all sure that I'd be willing to try it. And to all newbies, in particular, I think my advice is to 'Stand Back!'

BoyGoFast, I'll be praying that you don't rip your leg off.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I'm doing nothing of the sort. I was just asking a simple question about running an internal geared hub and I got a long rambling answer to a question nobody asked.

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Well, Super Moderator I'm not surprised that anything that's not included in the original kits is not approved yet all this master bike building your claiming is common knowledge your entitled to along with at least one or two others that rarely features repairs ,welds or reason for them. I've only seen one post on the entire internet that shows a steel engine mount welded to a bicycle frame Mr. 2door,your INSIST upon interruptions are constant be it you have a follower or a busload of them are you joking ?