ghost racer transmission drive shaft bearing failure

GoldenMotor.com

piper

Jun 20, 2014
san luis obispo,california
I have had this ghost racer kit on my mountain bike for 4 months now. I have about 200 miles on it and the transmission drive shaft bearings failed, i mean fell apart. My drive shaft wobbled really bad. I am going to put an ezm american made transmission on it. The huasheng engine runs perfect. I just wanted to give a heads up to those who have or plan on getting this kit. In my opinion the engine is the only reliable item in the kit.

poulanpiper

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
I have 1500 miles on my ghost racer. No real issues. Thanks for the topic though. I'll check my bearing

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ya, the 7G knock-off of a 4G has a rather smallish secondary unit.

The new 10G 100T freewheel secondary is on the left, the 7G secondary on the right.

Much more shaft support and better Japanese bearings.
But like the ezm, quality parts cost.

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
Ya, the 7G knock-off of a 4G has a rather smallish secondary unit.

The new 10G 100T freewheel secondary is on the left, the 7G secondary on the right.

Much more shaft support and better Japanese bearings.
But like the ezm, quality parts cost.
shaft supported by two bearings is still a shaft supported by two bearings, there is no "more support"in one or the other, the bearings are just spaced differently-- farther apart in the so called 10G trans that really is just a 4G after all
the 7G trans is made for the 5/8 straight shaft engine, and the other one pictured for the 4G is ONLY for the tapered shaft engines, that have the clutch bell as part of the transmission mount plate, and wider than the 7G to begin with. but they do use the same chinese bearings though. just closer together.

Last edited:

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
I think the OP just got the LEMON of the lot. I'm at 2000+ mills. I forgot to check my bearing and forgot about this post.

I thought occurs to me though if the Rangoon can be replace for 139~$ and the whole 7g kit is 200. How much expectation can we have. I've met expectation and still going.

Like I say in another post. I've made my bike near bullet proof. Now the only thing that could go bad is the engine or tranny. My getto engineering degree has done quite a few mods. Although one is a borrowed idea.

Her is a pic of my odometer. It was from my last ride. I just happened to notice it before it turned one 2000. It is just over 2000 now.

Attachments

Last edited:

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
My bike as a whole build. You may notice the steel bar cut to fit under the engine. You may notice the idler arm. Not evident but I shave down a mount arm to get there motored level that high up. You may or may not be able to see the plugs I changed out on the headlight batteries. That to fit RC batteries. The camo bag under the tank is a molli ii double mag pouch holding two batteries... To run each light.

Little things all over. I don't have access to a welder and I'm too cheap to hire someone to weld the motor mount to the bike. So that's why I went with the post I made under the bike. It is cut and trimmed to fit nicely. The crutch got under it is to prevent it from turning into a Jack hammer bit and cut through the bottom of the frame.

That 3/4" solid steel post and the idler make up the solutions to a lot of problems. The idler atm wheel is home made as well. Skateboard wheel filled down on a drill press.

Have to take another pic the site won't use the one I have. Brb.

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Like I say in another post. I've made my bike near bullet proof. Now the only thing that could go bad is the engine or tranny.
Bullet-proof is essential if you to rely on it for everything.
You can upgrade stuff in your free time at home before something leaves you stranded.
HD tubes and Liners are a sound investment at ~$25 a wheel.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
"...the engine is the only reliable thing in the kit..."

Sounds about right... I have a raw racer 66cc, have had it about 4 months as well, and so far I have replaced the spark plug, fuel line, spark plug boot, magneto, rear sprocket (but not before it tore the spokes out of my rear wheel, so I had to replace that, too), fuel petcock, fuel filter, all of the mounting screws, also replaced the throttle with an ATV thumb throttle, and redid all the wiring everywhere with heavier gauge stuff, and I am looking to build myself a new exhaust pipe and also buy a new carb, so after that, I will have replaced everything of significance besides the engine and the chain.

I also took one look at the chain guard, snorted in disgust, and proceeded to throw it into my "scrap metal" bin. 5 minutes later I cut strips of metal out of it and used them to mount the gas tank because the mounting brackets were too small and looked like they would fall apart in the first half mile. The instructions said "attach the chain guard with zip ties." Yea, that's gonna happen.

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
Is a raw racer a 2 stroke? I've had no spark plug trouble. That is usually a 2 stroke common failure.

Spokes breaking. What gauge what material... Are you trying to do wheelies.

Certainly you have a different kit than mine my tank clamps were plenty. You not carrying that much weight. If skipping try cutting an old tube up to make rubber grip pads.

Again sounds like a two stroke being compared out rated along side a 4 stroke topic. I haven't had a magneto on anything but 2 stores piles of frustration.

Why go thumb throttle eww. I guess personal preference. I like the way you naturally let go of twist grips in an o **** situation whereas thumb grippers tend to push in panic. Also for super long rides thumb throttle would cramp your hand.

@kc vale yeah I rely on the bike as a primary mode of transportation. I use my truck as a secondary... I can replace anything on the bike cheaper than any repair to my truck. Also gas mileage.

As to your suggested tires. I am using the ones police use. It I is a serfas drifter dual density tire with thorn longer built in. On top of that precaution. I use another thorn wrap, a sliced open extra thick tube wrapped around yet another extra thick tube. All powdered with talcum to prevent admit tube grabbing by the tire in an emergency stop. ...prevent valves from being cut off due to traction between the tube and tire pulling the tube around when you really lock up the brakes at high speed.

Last edited:

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
Oh I did once think the carb was going south in me. Turned out I was wrong, was just not liking the cold and needed some varnish cleaned of the metering valve.

So now I have an extra carb that I bought from kcvale, but never used. Thanks for the sale kc I appreciate that in a pinch even if I ended up not using it. It's nice to have a spare part.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Oh I did once think the carb was going south in me. Turned out I was wrong, was just not liking the cold and needed some varnish cleaned of the metering valve.

So now I have an extra carb that I bought from kcvale, but never used. Thanks for the sale kc I appreciate that in a pinch even if I ended up not using it.
It's nice to have a spare part.
Indeed.
When in doubt, swap it out.

If it fixes the problem mark the original bad until you get around to fixing it or toss it, if it don't fix the problem put the original back on and proceed with troubleshooting.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
In my previous post, I was just commenting on the uniformly poor quality of pretty much all kit engine parts whether 2 or 4 stroke. As for the thumb throttle, I have a road bike so the stock throttle doesn't fit, and it looked to be made of cheap plastic anyways.