Stage 111 tranny

GoldenMotor.com

pet999

Aug 11, 2014
Tucson AZ USA
Has anyone replaced the primary drive bushing with a bearing? I am thinking about having the gear bored out to fita bearing. Hope someone has tried this. Also, does the 4G trans a bolt on transplant for the 49 cc H S with thekeyed shaft? Stinking bushing keeps wearing out. Can't find a replacement anymore. Been looking online, and at bearing shops in town (Tucson). Bicycleengines.com had them, but told me they would not be carrying them any more. Ideas?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I will answer one ?....yes you can bolt the 4g to the Hs. As long as it is the 4 G with the desperate 5/8 clutch. The other Hs. has a built in clutch and takes a different 4G. Hope that makes sense.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pet! just noticed you were a recent addition to the cast and crew of the funny pages. Welcome to the forum!

I really have been meaning to do this for yrs. Take a whole stage 3 to a auto transmission place, find the oldest, ready to retire guy and show him the guts. 1st thing wrong with em is they are straight gears. So the thing sounds like a 1957 Chevy going 27 MPH in reverse.

I am thinking there are hex gears that could be swapped out that are already mass produced.

Better bearings! They need better bearings and in places, any! snork.

Last but really important, a manual or wet clutch. lol @ the "engager"

Take all this with a grain of salt. I never pursued it so who knows what I don't know. But I really do think it could beat out all the *trannys out there.

The reason for asking for help from a well experienced tech, transmission person and not an engineer is that they see the long term wear and results from the enevitable comprimises that come with designing some thing like this. Kinda like reading the end of the book first and knowing the outcome of mistakes made in the early stages.

*I keep getting really, really funny & sarcastic PMs from a transgendered member here. She is a riot and writes every time I go off on a tangent about "trannys"
Truly funny stuff and she won't let me post em.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Another advantage to re-gearing it is you could tailor fit the ratio to your local. Lower for hilly and higher if you live in a primerally flat area.

If I can find an old stage 3, I will redo the internals and report. I have a newly completed machine shop and forgot about these things and this idea for a project.

If you need to bore out the gear to accept a sealed bearing, you can ask a local machine shop to do it for you. What they will do is drill out the bore just under size then use a reamer to make it the exact size of the OD of the bearing. If you or they just drill it out, the hole will be to big if a new bit is used. Possibly to small if an old drill bit is used. Drill bits are amazingly wrong sized when ya gotta be exact.

Found that out the hard and very expensive way. (and "sniff")
Don't ask. Still hurts....... LOL

pet999

Aug 11, 2014
Tucson AZ USA
Thanks Dan. I never thought about a bit being the wrong size, but it makes sense. Nice to have access to machine tools. I love playing with all of them. Don't have access anymore. I am finding it hard to find a shop that is willing to do a job that small. Could be worse tho. People on bikes are getting run over left and right here in Tucson. Share the road!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great thought, Pet! Yes, share the road. Is law here in the great white north that folks in cars give ya 3 feet. They don't but is a nice thought.

Hey! I bet that old transmission tech/shop would have the equipment! maybe even put in a press bearing for you. That alone would give you the worlds best stage 3.

And would be a really cool project and I have seen every body stop working to come over to look at my bike and join in the brain storming about what ever crazy idea I had at shops and garages. Folks love crazy projects. Especially trades folks who enjoy their craft and wanna help.

Dang, that could work. But they could really help ya out and wont give you the stink eye like a machine shop treating you like you're getting in the way of real work. Can't blame em. They get lots of requests like this and machinists are great folks and wanna be kind but we really do slow down the paying work. That is how I accidentally spent $20K and now have a shop. Not kidding. I seem to have issues, lol.