Cruiser Saddle

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I've been running various saddles on one of my cruisers. Tried a Brooks, then a nice thick padded vintage style springer saddle. Both were good, real good actually, but I wanted something a bit more custom. I borrowed a cool old pre-war seat from my brother and wondered if one of my boardie seats could be adapted to fit the vintage undercarriage and how it would look. Here is what I have so far. Not a direct bolt-on but the idea has potential.

Sportsman Cruiser Saddle by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is a picture of a Pierce saddle I found that gave me some ideas. Looks like the leather has been restored.

This one is cool, too. A Troxel that is like a trimmed down Mesinger Racer seat on a springer undercarriage. I like how the flap size is reduced and the back of the seat is trimmed differently.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice stuff...which are you gonna settle on?
Right now I am leaning towards the one on the bottom, the Troxel with the small forward flaps and trimmed in rear area. I think the larger flaps are too boardie looking and a cruiser saddle looks better trimmed down.

Here's another Troxel with the small forward flap. Seems to be a common design trend from back then.

Troxel Long Spring Saddle by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
here is a picture of a pierce saddle i found that gave me some ideas. Looks like the leather has been restored.

sportsman cruiser saddle by sportsman flyer, on flickr

this one is cool, too. A troxel that is like a trimmed down mesinger racer seat on a springer undercarriage. I like how the flap size is reduced and the back of the seat is trimmed differently.

sportsman cruiser saddle by sportsman flyer, on flickr
i really like the shape of this seat ,is this seat for sale at all ,i also have the last seat you are liking the troxel i find its a little flat at the back but beautiful still

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Cruiser seats, ie those with springs, tend to be more flat as the riding position is more upright. A fixed seat, ie those without springs, should have more up sweep as the rider sits low leaning toward the bars and a nice kick up keeps the rider in the saddle. Pat's seats look amazing with the vintage long spring under carriage, but I think a slightly flatter seat pan would look even better.

And for the record, that sprung seat frame is very old, probably 1930's or so, maybe older. It is so cool to see a piece of vintage Americana live to see another century. With a fresh seat pan and new leather, who knows how long it might be kicking around.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
G'DAY pat,
I really like your btr seat's you do for your big bikes and i agree what you saying about a cruiser bicycle with that seat look's alittle to big for a cruiser or should say a retrim down size look's so much better
i very much like the look of this seat is there anyway you can re-design this saddle without the under spring so i could bolt and weld tags onto frame with your btr tag kit to use a re-pop looking seat like this
OR would there be any chance you could re-trim down one of your btr seat so it doesnt look all seat on a cruiser bicycle i am very keen in a seat cheers

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Mick,
On my Bonneville race bikes I needed the bigger saddle to get into the tuck. I did shorten the seat a bit on my smaller boardie, the orange bike. Hadn't thought about a trimmed down seat without a springer undercarriage.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I'm signing on to this as I'm in the market for a seat as well. Those wider seats you were making earlier (shown on the Sportsman200 on your website) were great for long comfy rides.

Last edited: