New BTR build

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Aluminum plate is fun to work with and you are doing a great job. I am a big fan of bolt on motor mounts, anyway you could do this? it would save you having to weld on that frame.

Another warning on the fork if you run a disk, you may want to run 160mm disk to keep from bending the fork tube. I will post what a 203mm has done to my forks.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think they would be fine if you stay away from the larger disk. Max disk size 187mm. I have five of these forks in use and this is a first for me.

They sure look good on this bike build that's for sure.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Thanks for the compliments runnermike!

Yes that is a HF 79cc motor.

Wow I would of never guessed that those forks could bend like that using large disk brakes. Thanks for the heads up on that curtisfox!

Right now I'm having a tough time choosing the right type of tire. I would like to try and use the widest tire I can on this frame to really get that board track racer look. Doing general measurements, the widest I could go is 3" but that is leaving zero wiggle room on the frame between the diagonal bars coming down from the seat post using 26" wheels. That is unless the profile of the tire is more rounded.

Is there a thread that shows some 26" tire width comparisons?

The other option is to go with a 24" cruiser wheel set with 3" tires but then getting an off the shelf rear coaster brake will not work because the axle is not long enough. The distance between the rear axle mounts is 5.375" so I would need an axle that is at least 6.5" wide. I'd like to stay away from a custom made wheel because that gets expensive.

Decisions, decisions...LOL.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I've heard that the Monark forks (even Monark II's) aren't incredibly sturdy. I'm going to use Silver State Cycle's new girder front fork on my build to hopefully keep that from happening! o_O

Thanks for the post!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I've heard that the Monark forks (even Monark II's) aren't incredibly sturdy. I'm going to use Silver State Cycle's new girder front fork on my build to hopefully keep that from happening! o_O

Thanks for the post!

You are thinking of the original Monarks and welded up Monark II, The forks on this build are:

The new Monark Mega springer fork is the best retro reproduction fork we have seen. Very compatible to the Felt Abraham Linkage fork, but in our opinion better design. Larger tube body to handle large front tires.
•Full chromoly construction
•Large Springs
•Built in Brake cable hold down
•Built on Drum Hub arm hold down
•Disc Brake Caliper tab
•Available in: 1" Threaded or 1 1/8 Threadless
A HIGH QUALITY REPRODUCTION OF THE ORIGINAL You will not be disappointed with the quality, better than the originals!

Just use the right disk as stated.

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
I was looking for a layback seat post for the seat I ordered. Not much luck for a style that I was looking for to flow with the frame so.... back to the aluminum scrap yard I go and went to work on one on my own.

Here are some more pictures.

Lots of filling to get the right curved surface for the smaller seat post side and the larger post that goes into the frame.

At this point welding would be great but being that's not an option for me, the drill press and tap set came out and parts came together.

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Hey Dutchman....what setup are you going with in the rear, as far as, sprocket and wheel? That frame is 135mm. If you are planning on using a sprocket adapter with a standard coaster brake hub they are only 110mm.

When I built my last build with this frame, I used a Halo disc brake/single speed freewheel that was 135mm spacing.

I'm just curious since I now have this frame again and would like to use my coaster brake wheel and sprocket adapter and sprocket. They barely have any miles on them...

Flying Dutchman

May 21, 2014
Westminster, Colorado
Here are more pictures.

I tweaked the seat post a bit more. I'm kind of up in the air about the seat itself though. There is more springage than I thought it would have. May have to look into another seat, not sure yet.

Right now I'm going to go with some standard freewheel MT bike wheels I have laying around and utilize the clamp type (rim?) brakes. Being I'm going the shift kit route I figure I can experiment with the gear ratio a bit. Then once that is settled on I'll go with a single speed hub or simply keep what's there and loose the shift arm thingy.

Got a good deal on some 2.37 tires with flame tread. Again I'm a bit bummed because they really only measure 2" wide. Oh well, brand new set including the tubes for $25.00 it was a good deal.