Jakes new "Diamond Head" $79.99

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just put in a pre-order for one of the new heads Jakes is offering next month, I have a "6.0 Fred Head" and two Puch Heads on a couple of my bikes, I really like the way the "Diamond Head" looks, seems it will flow really good with the shape of the china girl jug, another big plus is that he is offering a free Sprocket adapter with every pre-order of the head, so if you want the head and the adapter you best get your order in today.

Looks like this head will offer good cooling and he states that is also has the correct squish band for helping to make the combustion more efficient, I really like the way the head is shaped, I know the Fred Heads are great and I hope this one is as well.

Map
.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got my new Diamond head from Jake the other day and it is awesome, unlike any of the other heads being made for our engines this head actually fits the contour of the jug and looks like it was xesigned for the china girl engine from the factory, it also has the largest amount of coing surface of any head I've had or seen, as soon as I have the time I will set it up on an engine and take some pics just to show how good it looks, I have Puch heads and I have a " Fred Head " they work good and look good in my opinion but I'm thinking this head Jake has brought to market is my favorite as far as the way it looks on the engine, and wow this thing is a heavy duty chunk of aluminum.....

With a little polish work this thing is gonna really pop on my next build..... all I can say is this head was well worth the wait form them to be perfected and made up, very nice addition to the performance parts we have available for our little china girls.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Does the combustion chamber look the same as the pic above?

Please post a photo, thanks.

I checked and the price seems to be $90 now?
I will post a photo tomorrw Neil, I honestly cant remember if it looks the same or not, but I beleive it does, actually the head I got looks better to me than the pics Jake initially posted on his site, he told me that the first sample that was made was not what they wanted and that some design changes were made becore he approved it to be made up in whatever quantity he had ordered.
Yeah I noticed that the price had been changed from the original $79 to $89, not sure why, maybe it ended up costing more per head to have them made than originally expected...???

Im at work tonight but I'll take a few pics tomorrow afternoon sometime and get them posted up here to show the head at a couple angles and to show the combustion chamber, im sure it is very simular to the Fed Head chamber and the Puch hi hi head, I know its not the open type chamber like the old manic ashtray heads are.

The thing im impressed with the most is the design of the head overall, it nicely compliments the shape of the cylinder and gives it a nice flat head look, its the biggest of any of the aftermarket heads I've seen, its a bit taller and wider than the Fred Head and will most likely deliver the same performance and may actually draw a little more heat from the engine since it it a little wider and taller but may not be enough difference to even detect, I really like the look of the head, the Fred Heads look good also, but this " Diamond Head " from Jake really looks like it was made for these engines and kinda gives off a bit of a classic look in my opinion.

Map

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
OK Guys and Gals.. here are some pics I took real quick of my Jake's Diamond Head, not the best pics and I will likely have to make at least two posts to get them listed here.

The more I look at this head the more I like it, just really flows with the little engine in my opinion and the cooling should be first class with this head, loads of surface to wick away the heat.

Map

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It looks cast and then milled, not milled from billet. A diamond on the rough.

Maybe have the cylinder milled way down to make the fins look a little thicker to match the head a bit more. Overall shape of that combo would look neat as a V-twin.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It looks cast and then milled, not milled from billet. A diamond on the rough.

Maybe have the cylinder milled way down to make the fins look a little thicker to match the head a bit more. Overall shape of that combo would look neat as a V-twin.
No its not cast, it is milled from one solid piece of aluminum the one photo seem to highlight the milling marks between fins a bit, but in reality that all looks good and it isn't rough like the pis makes it look, nice machine work that with a few minutes on a polishing wheel and some jewelers polishing material will shine like a " Diamond " the machining is every bit as good as it is on the Fred Heads.

These pix were taken in low light with my Samsung smart phone so they aren't a good representation of how the head looks setting in front of you.

I realize that this head will probably draw some negitive comments because of it being something Jake has brought to market, bottom line is any bad blood between Fred and Jake is just that, its between them and they are both bringing so good products to market for us that many of us can enjoy on our bikes if we want them, I like the Fred Heads as well and think they look nice, I like this new head that Jake has brought to market also and plan to polish it up and use it on my next build, I think it matches the shape of the jug better than the Fred Head and I like its size as well.

I would also like to add here just to clear the air in advance:

My post on the subject here are to show the Jake head I have, and not as some wa to start a debate about Fred or Jake and there business practices, I would hope that if someone likes the Fred heads look the most that they will buy their head from Fred, if they like the look of the Jake's Diamond head the best then they can buy that one, this is a new product and I just wanted to inform thoes who may be interested of it and do as I said I would and post pics and my opinion of this new product, if someone doesn't like it I guess they can frankly just move along, but for those who do or may be a bit interested then we can discuss it here and enjoy yapping about the new product

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It sure would be nice if the barrel matched the head as far as looks...

Diamond on a turd...
Lol....aint that the truth, im gonna do some work to the fins on that jug and then paint it flat black and then remove the paint from the edge of the fins and see if thst helps a little, the flat black will cover some of the rough casting look of the jug and then maybe having the extra shine of the fins edge standing out will help them mesh together a little better in the looks department, Im gonna give that a shot anyway and see how it turns out.

Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Shan, you probably already know this but for the benefit of others, a polished surface will not dissapate heat as well as a rough one and a black painted surface will get rid of heat faster than a raw rough surface. I would be hesitant to polish the cylinder head for that reason. You'd be defeating some of the benefits of the larger head and cooling fins.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Shan, you probably already know this but for the benefit of others, a polished surface will not dissapate heat as well as a rough one and a black painted surface will get rid of heat faster than a raw rough surface. I would be hesitant to polish the cylinder head for that reason. You'd be defeating some of the benefits of the larger head and cooling fins.

Tom
Yeah you're right Tom, I just figured that even with the edge of the fins polished the overall surface area is so much larger than a stock head or even the other aftermarket heads that It would still provide a good amount of extra cooling capability over what the smaller heads do, the Fred Head I have on one of my bikes has been polished real nice and it seems to do a good job of keeping that engine at a good temp when I do the long WOT rides.

I dont plan to do a super mirror polish on the head but just basically a good smoothing up which wont remove all the machine marks but will reduce them a little and just give it a cleaned up look, I've actually thought about painting the head and then just removing the paint from the outter edge of the fins just like I plan to do on the jug, im thinking that may be the best look overall for the engine.

What do you think about that Tom?

Map

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I find the huge thermal mass compared to stock far outweighs any losses from polishing so I'm cool with Fred's design. But I run a standard comp version. higher power outputs might not agree.
Eye of the beholder and all.
I'm kinda on the fence as far as the looks...
I really like Jake's lines overall with the cylinder, but I also really like fred's design on my frame.
I think with a tighter frame, Jake would take it.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
How much 'taller' is this head compared to the stock head? Might make a difference in some of our builds.

Be my luck to put one these on and then get stopped by a peace officer........"Yes, officer, it's only 66cc's".

"Boy, what'chu been smoking??!! You really think I believe that engine is only 66cc's?"

:D

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I find the huge thermal mass compared to stock far outweighs any losses from polishing so I'm cool with Fred's design. But I run a standard comp version. higher power outputs might not agree.
Eye of the beholder and all.
I like Freds design also, they have been proven to work well, I have the 6cc version on one of my engines and I have nothing at all bad to say about it, looks good and performs good, honestly doesnt performance m any better than The Puch head did on that engine but it does as good and is a little beefier head, I dont expect the Diamond head to perform a bit better than the Fred head or even the Puch head for that matter, its just a nice looking peice that I think I will enjoy looking at on my next build.

Map

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I like Freds design also, they have been proven to work well, I have the 6cc version on one of my engines and I have nothing at all bad to say about it, looks good and performs good, honestly doesnt performance m any better than The Puch head did on that engine but it does as good and is a little beefier head, I dont expect the Diamond head to perform a bit better than the Fred head or even the Puch head for that matter, its just a nice looking peice that I think I will enjoy looking at on my next build.

Map
Yeah. I gotta say, now that I actually have a few parts, I find myself wanting more.
I'm so ashamed.
dnut

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
This head is the best looking out there, but does not outperform freds head and or options fred sells his head with such as compression release and or twin plugs. Neat though

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This head is the best looking out there, but does not outperform freds head and or options fred sells his head with such as compression release and or twin plugs. Neat though
I agree that it wont out perform the Fred Head as far as actual engine performance, it may actually allow the engine to run a tad cooler since it has more surface to wick away heat, but my wanting one of these heads had nothing to do with overall engine performance because I can get that with a $30 Puch head which is what I run on my fastest bike that has broke the 50 mph barrier, in my opinion I have seen no proof thst even the Fred Head allows better performance than the Puch head on the china girl engine, I know that big talking point is that the Puch head doesnt have the correct squish angle and thst may be true, but for 99.9% of the people running either head none of that will ever matter because their engines aren't modified to the point where it will make much difference.

There are people on here who have done high 40's and ever over 50 mph running the stock straight plug heads and most people running all the latest gadgets and gizmos haven't even come close to that.

I agree the better heads are nice, look good and we know they will allow the engine to run cooler and I like them personally, but some of the stuff like compression release and such adds zero performance and also falls into the neat gadgets and gizmos category.

The Diamond Head offers a look that none of the others do, and that is why I like it, it will perform on my engines just as good as anything else I have and offer a little better potential cooling so Im petty sure Im gonna be very happy with it snd anyone else that likes the look and wants better cooling than a stock head or most likely any other of the heads out there may also like it, it is a bit pricey in my opinion but many thing we have and dont really need in life are so I dont mind that part of it much.

Map
.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
How much 'taller' is this head compared to the stock head? Might make a difference in some of our builds.

Be my luck to put one these on and then get stopped by a peace officer........"Yes, officer, it's only 66cc's".

"Boy, what'chu been smoking??!! You really think I believe that engine is only 66cc's?"

:D
Lol... I dont worry about that around here, as long as it has peddles and cant take off from a stand still on its own its still considered a bicycle in Texas so engine size isn't an issue and the police around here are completely cool so far about the bikes I have, I have ridden at around 45 mph right beside the sheriff's pickup going down a busy stretch of raod and he just looked and grinned at me as I zipped on over into the left hand turn lane after cruising with him for a mile or so....

So far so good in my area.

Map

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've actually thought about painting the head and then just removing the paint from the outter edge of the fins just like I plan to do on the jug, im thinking that may be the best look overall for the engine.
Map
That is what I was thinkin'.....I've always liked that look on an engine, it just makes them look classy.