Schwinn Panther build

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ya, I looked at the sidecar frame and said to myself wow, Chainmaker sure bent up a nice sidecar frame. OH, wait a minute that's no sidecar frame he's found the perfect solution and time saver.

My hat's off to you Sir and I'll be looking for a cheapy myself for next time.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curt,
I may paint between the fins black, but I'm going tin less. I need to weld the intake manifold but I put the motor in the bike so another member could see how it sits.

Your sidecar frame... is that a dolly for an LP tank? Isn't it interesting how we see normal things out there in the world and something clicks inside our little BB brains and sees something else entirely that we can use on our builds. A tuna can becomes an air cleaner or a juice can becomes a gas tank. I have a brass spittoon waiting to become an art deco headlight... I've seen all kinds of cool stuff here on the forum. One of the best was Tinsmith seeing a door safety latch and in his mind's eye it became in principle a very clever and fool proof keyed drop stand catch.

I do like your sidecar frame!
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I've not looked at this thread for a while, but now I see that the engine was painted red, nice job!

Did you do the paint yourself and in any case how was old paint removed?

I found the paint on my Briggs 80202 0430 engine was on real good. I don't remember if I tried paint remover, but I think I did and it did not work at all. I remember I used the paint remover on my bike frame which did work OK.

Engine paint I guess is a different story for paint removal. I eventually just used sandpaper on the engine cylinder head fins and it was not completely removed, but probably OK to paint when I decide to.

So I guess I have it right you have a Kawasaki 2.25hp and the carb although is an older Briggs Carb.

Glad to see it coming together.

MT

OHV Trail Briggs Motor Bike / Art Fish Mobile Motor Bike eventually

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=13 post 129 page 13 OHV

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I used sandpaper and a wire brush for the fins. I used dupli color engine enamel for paint. I need to upgrade photo bucket so pics aren't there right now, but the Kawasaki was a mess of problems. I found a 3 hp Briggs I/C that has been worked over pretty well and a 5hp Briggs carb.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Your Briggs engine does look a lot like mine, but I bought a cheapo Briggs New Carb and it is working nice for $30 and free shipping on Amazon two years ago.

Painting for my frame and the engine has to be later when I get all done with a art frame and fish like cover for slow moving parades. I still am doing welding around the frame so there is no sense painting yet. OHV Reg with CA DMV approved already so I take it trail riding on approved lands once in a while legally now.

MT

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welded up my first exhaust a couple days ago and cleaned up the sidecar frame, got these soapbox racer plans on eBay which will be the sidecar body.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That is looking super! Also welcome to the club (if there is one?) Briggs just fits!

The early on figuring for my Briggs, but eventually went with all belt drive.

I really have to one day find a place to work efficiently and either make mods to what I have now or build one with a side car.

Great start on your build I can tell!

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=13 Briggs Multi-purpose OHV and Parade

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Been finding it hard to get time for this build, been studying for an job exam that I've been "on the list" for 6 years. That, work and the Fam haunt left much time for much but a little forum time and 1/2 hour here and there and little stuff but not enough to do any big stuff.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chain,
I gather from another thread that this build ended before it was finished. It was coming along so nicely... great looking bike, 3 horse Briggs looking good, handcart being made into a sidecar frame and plans for a retro soapbox derby car for the sidecar body.
What happened?
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
SB, somewhere along this bike frames life it got a good amount of water inside of the frame and there were a few spots I found where the frame was rusted through or just about rusted through. The Briggs parts were sold to a mini bike guy and I'm re using the bike parts. The sidecar is still an option for one of the Whizzers.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry to see the build come to an end, but glad to hear the parts are being used. The sidecar frame and body ideas are good ones! Your experience with the Panther frame is a good heads up for any of using a vintage frame to check it over carefully. I never really thought about rust from the inside.
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
A shame really. I really liked this Panther build, yet I hope to see that sidecar on a Whizzer! Rick C.