Engine not starting right...?

GoldenMotor.com

newbybikelover

Apr 8, 2012
abilene texas
ok so, my engine worked fine for a while. little kink after little kink i was making my bike better and better. i was hitting the governer on it so i thought of running it a little richer to slow it down. At this point i was thinking i like where my bike is at and once i get the bigger fuel jet on it i would leave it be. Maybe be around 30-35 mph

After i messed with my carb (Thats Dax high perf RT) put the jet in reattached. i found out i couldnt tighten it on. The screw on the carb stripped to ****. So i just used an easy replacement screw and bolt, but it didnt seem to make it as tight. Is that part important? and could effect it by giving an air leak? Because after tinkering with that my engine wont start.

Engine is a skyhawk grubee 2011 GT5 60/80cc. If i get on the bike and peddle as fast as my legs will take me and let go and keep going for about 5 min at 12-16 mph. it will start up. with the motor started up it has to keep up pace. once i slow down. the engine dies. so it doesnt start up right, and cant slow down. with this information can anyone help me? my bikes been in lockdown for a month because ive been busy, but i really really want to get it working. anyone know why it would only start under those conditions?

looking at other posts it seems its either a compression issue because the rings are messed up (i hope not i have no idea how to work/fix that), or its an air leak somewhere in the engine/carb.

I love anyone who can help!
:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Several things come to mind.

1. Did the bike run okay with the original carburetor?

2. If the RT doesn't seal tightly against your intake manifold, yes, that's a problem. It must be sealed to keep any air from entering around the intake.

3. Have you checked the intake manifold to cylinder gasket? The kit supplied gaskets are notorious for early failure. Replace it with a good grade of gasket material.

4. The RT carb has a semi-automatic choke that is spring loaded to the open position and requires that you twist the throttle all the way to get the choke plate to release and open if you closed it manually. Your symptoms are consistent with a closed choke.

Get back to us with your findings.

Tom

Steve1990

Jun 12, 2012
I can see Detroit from here!
I've actually got a home made manifold-to-cylinder gasket. Made from some nice heavy cardboard (that if I'm remembering right is from a shoe box) and sealed w/ alittle RTV. Has lasted a good long time, the one that came w/ the kit was junk and failed pretty quick. As did a "replacement" I bought.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I am thinking along the same lines as 2door...
Did the bike run well before you "messed with the carb"? If so, I wouldn't waste my time going down the compression road, you gotta figure your problem has something to do with what you messed with before the problem occurred, the carb...
Exactly what did you do to the carb when you had it off? Jetting, adjusting float??? Try running without the air filter for a sec and see how she does, and check into that auto choke mechanism...

newbybikelover

Apr 8, 2012
abilene texas
well. the carb it came with sucked, and no it didnt work at all, the float was broken and it flooded hardcore. gas kept running out of it from every little hole. and the bike ran as if the engine was choked horrifically. when i mentioned messing with the carb i meant the RT carb was already on there. the bike ran perfectly until this happened exactly in order.

i took the carb off unscrewing it from the manifold, i drained gas. i then put in the new fuel jet (fifth one changing) and tried putting it back on. i then noticed the little plastic rubber sealing had a very small nick in it, and was very hard to put on. so i also thought that was comprimised but its little, are engines that sensitive? after attaching it to the manifold i then realised from taking the carb on and off so many times with putting it tightly on there i stripped out the screw and bolt that came with it, i simply replaced it with a different screw and bolt that really does do the same deal. dont think thats a problem. i know about the choke on it. and only used it once to start it initially. after putting all this up i tried to start it, and paodkjioshaikjsagd. i got nothing. it might be a gasket too. i could check that, i used the ones it came with which, the gasket and the carb this engine came with i know are NOT things i found good reviews on.

btw sorry, dont grammar nazi me T_T i was never good at spelling and iphones auto correct really dont help that area, as to the engine? this was a project i made because i always rode bikes and my dads a harley guy, i knew NOTHING about engines, i did this TO learn about enginse and have fun with a motor like bike. just incase you guys face palm to my asking if engines are that sensitive to air leaks.

Last edited: