I raced a Ruckus on my Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
At least I think it was a Ruckus. That's the only bike I can find online that looks like what I saw. Actually there was 2 of them. As I blasted by on my MB, they turned in behind me from a side street. I was going about 33 mph in a headwind. One of them was real loud, and I could hear it coming for a long time. I kept looking back and could see one of them gaining on me, but one looked like he couldn't keep up. His had a quiet muffler. The loud one finally passed me going about 40 but had to stop for the light.

I pulled up next to him in the same lane and stopped. He had this really suprised look on his face. We both looked at each other for a moment, and then at the same time said, "WHAT THE PUCK IS THAT" !!!

Except when he said it, it sounded like, what's that really cool thing you're riding? I want one! But when I said it, it was more like, yuck, what's that stink on my shoe, lol.

His bike was totally lower than mine. It had a license plate and the whole smear. It reminded me of a giant skate board, with a lawnmower motor in the back. It had a kind of feet forward sitting position, like a real low scooter. I don't think I've ever seen one before.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Re: I raced a Ruckus on my MB

I think I know where he lives. It's near my sons house. I'm going to go back there and terriorize his neighborhood on my MB lol. They better hide their womens

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

If he was doing over 30 mph, he had an older Ruckus, sounds like. We have a guy in our mobile home park who has a new one. I'm afraid it sounds like a wind-up toy. He was whirrrring along beside me toward the entrance as we were both headed out one day. I was turning right and he had his signal on for the same.
No traffic in sight, so I throttled hard (just 'cause I felt like it) and later looked in my mirror. He was really doggin' it. These new Ruckuses lack spherical masculinity.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Well if ya come across one of these, ya best not think yer racing it cuz it will smoke ya (tail between yer legs)! It'll smoke a Ruckus too.......

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Apparently there's 2 models. One is 49cc, and barely goes 30 mph. The other one is called a Big Ruckus and has a 20 hp 250cc motor and goes over 60 mph. Probably the one that passed me was a big Ruckus, and the one that couldn't keep up was the 50.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

The big one weighs 380 lbs, so it probably is slow accelerating.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Well if ya come across one of these, ya best not think yer racing it cuz it will smoke ya (tail between yer legs)! It'll smoke a Ruckus too.......

dnut
I've only ever seen one of those on the street around here, and it wasn't as fancy as that one.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Looks like Honda may have stopped making the Big ruckus. People with the newer 49cc, some claim they go in the 40s, but most people seem stuck in the 30s.

Chrisflik

Apr 2, 2011
California

If it is the Rukus that you seek??? My buddy owns one.... And they are fun..
But this same buddy has poured @ last calculation like 7 G's on the bike and mod's.. Be careful. Curiosity killed the cat. And I know if "I" bought one, the Rukus would kill my relationship. HaHa!!
This said buddy was last working on a extension to the rear, a motor swap to a 150cc I believe. The whole 9. Paint. Disk brake in the front. The whole enchalada. To do the Mid 50 range.. Man. I'd just build my Cb 750 that I bought for 200$ and the forks I bought off Ebay for 300 hundo from a 2005 cbr and start throwing the remainder of that 7 G's @ the problem.
But my boy thinks it looks cool... And he's right... it does...
Check out Battlescooter.com
And Totalrukus.com
Hope I got those right.. You'd want the 50cc for the Mod's. The 250cc Is like a Helix on crack habit.

Rock & Roll
Till the day I rot in a hole!!!

I 'believe' that, that is a FLIK One Original.
Copyrighted and Trademarked. All royalties shall go to Flik One Inc.
Signed..
Flik 1!dnut

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Personally I'm not interested in owning a Ruckus, but I've become aware that they have a kind of cult following. Especially since Honda stopped making the Big Ruckus.

Apparently the 50 cc one that Honda still makes isn't as desirable, and I think I know why. They're slower than my MB.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Personally I'm not interested in owning a Ruckus, but I've become aware that they have a kind of cult following. Especially since Honda stopped making the Big Ruckus.

Apparently the 50 cc one that Honda still makes isn't as desirable, and I think I know why. They're slower than my MB.

Was that your "race bike"? J/K lol :D

dnut

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I have seen some people riding those Ruckus scooters. One apparently commutes on one near here. I saw him about every weekday when I was working for a tire delivery co and running that route. His bike did about 45mph. I don't know if it was modified or not.

I think there are several versions, one with a 50cc, one with a 125cc engine, and the biggest at 250cc. Here's a magazine review of the 50cc. They make it sound useless. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/127/3803/Motorcycle-Article/2009-Honda-Ruckus-Scooter-Review.aspx

I saw another guy at a bar in Dallas who liked my grubee bike. He was amazed that it weighed so little (about 75lb with tools and gas). I didn't race him though. haha. His bike seemed pretty fast, and louder than the baffled ATV sound they usually make.

Maybe you can tune the motors to make them pretty fast, sort of like the way some people have hot-rodded Puch mopeds.

Someone mentioned that a Ruckus had been modified, costing $7000. Seems like overkill to me, but if you really like it and make friends riding it, maybe it's an investment in your sanity, and if you drive it to work and save gas, maybe it pays for itself compared to almost any car.

PS some of the pages comments said if it's overfilled on oil, it slows down a lot, and it gets 100mpg after break in. Sounds pretty good for something with such fat tires.

Someone listed fan sites for the ruckus: www.rucksters.com www.standardfunctions.com www.ruckuslife.com www.bowlsla.com www.tokyoparts.com www.allthatruckus.com www.battlescooter.com

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I have seen some people riding those Ruckus scooters. One apparently commutes on one near here. I saw him about every weekday when I was working for a tire delivery co and running that route. His bike did about 45mph. I don't know if it was modified or not.
Most of the ones you see on the street are the Big Ruckus. They're 250 cc, and do about 45-50 mph. They weigh 390 lbs. Honda stopped making them a couple years ago.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Was that your "race bike"? J/K lol :D

dnut
Heck yeah, china girl's gotta race. Anytime a china girl beats something else, that a big race. Mostly because it doesn't happen very often lol.