Maytag Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive seen people here do much the same, but i dont think they used the same technique of first stitching two pieces of leather together...........the one you did looks like a bought one. Im totally stealing that idea when i need to cover or recover a seat. NICE WORK!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thats a Damnn good looking seat! you just might get some business through this forum & thread, next time you might leave the side flaps.
GOOD JOB!!

Last edited:

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Thats a Damnn good looking seat! you just might get some business through this forum & thread, next time you might leave the side flaps.
GOOG JOB!!
Thanks for the kudos,

but as for getting business, haha,
I can barely find enough time to do my own stuff..

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
seat is very sexy, it's actually a vintage seat and I assume you might have gotten away with paying less to make it that buying a new brooks?

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Yes much cheaper than a new Brooks. I also did not want the narrow profile of a Brooks, this more a cruiser than a racer.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You guys need to check out the GYES saddles 3/4 's cheaper then brooks and twice the quality go to www.crowcycleco.com and check out their saddles. Just about any color you want Honey, Brown, Black, Natural and a better selection then what Brooks offer's
Don't get stuck paying big $$$$ for a name

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Here is a Pic of a Sporstmanflyer I'm building (but not done with) that sports a Gyes saddle

Sweet looking MB. I have one question for though. With the seat so low in the back and so close to the tire, are you concerned you might slip off and get the crack scratching of a lifetime ?

MHF

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Here is a Pic of a Sporstmanflyer I'm building (but not done with) that sports a Gyes saddle
Truckd..... Nice bike and i dont mean to be rude but what are you waiting for to finish it? The bike seems like its been at that stage forever but doesnt look like it needs much to finish...... do you even have a build thread for it?
You should!

Now back to the thread, i kinda like Whozawats seat a lot more then one of those Gyes seats..... maybe its just that website but those seats look a little cheap, they look a little "plasticy"...... at least in those pictures.

Not only do i think Wozawats seat looks better, but its cheaper like he said, most likely a lot more comfortable, and besides Wozawats seat has character as well as he recovered it himself..... and anyones thats done something like this knows how self satisfying it can truly be.

Im loving this build, whats next?

.shft.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
The gyes seats are like 1/4" thick leather, but I'm with ya, I'd take one of his seats over a gyes any day!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes much cheaper than a new Brooks. I also did not want the narrow profile of a Brooks, this more a cruiser than a racer.
My attitude toward using and refurbishing old seats is in line with yours. As long as one is willing to do a little work it is amazing how well they can turn out and if they have a hand made look to them, all the better since our bikes have our personal fingerprints all over them. It is what makes them truly ours. There's nothing like answering the question "where'd you buy that?" with an account of how you took what appeared to others as junk and turned it into a jewel. Very satisfying.

Having done a number of seats myself I would encourage others to give it a try.
Another benefit in doing your own is that you can decide how much cushioning you want, what kind of leather, how thick and what color.

Well done sir.
SB

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I love the seat that has been re-done, don't get me wrong but for those who don't have either the skills, $$ or patients Gyes is another accessary alternative to a quality resto or new build.
Not through with the build, just kinda fitting parts & such so the seat isn't in the final position and the saddle is 10 1/2"(w) x11" (L), it also sits on a laid back seat post wich bring's it back over the wheel,
I have 5-other bikes to get done first including the wifie's and guess who's gets done first, not to mention the $$ needed for a quality build but it is all comming together. Didn't mean to interupt this thread with my build but rather just throwing some info out there as we all do from time to time
By the way Gyes are all leather with kevlar bottoms on some models to prevent shrinkage and damage from road grime absolutely NOT! a cheap product, I have 5 of them and had contacted Gyes head quarters at he end of the year with my personal needs for one of their products and they took a 2012 new model (not on the market yet in America) and totally customized it for me, it is the only one of its color and model in America, shipping cost a pretty penny but the price of the saddle remained the same.

Last edited: