Clutch issues

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I have question My bike will start however the clutch has been slipping quite a bit the past 2 days I took out pads cleaned the crap out of everything. My question what else can slip besides the obvious clutch pads is there or are there any other parts that can slip I'm looking at a SCHEMATIC AND CANT SEE Anything that might be slipping. Is it just the pads that can slip? Is that the only friction point that I need to be concerned with. For some reason it just feels like it could be coming from some place else. It's slipping so bad I cant even go any more yet it will start? Pardon the pun but " What gives" :) Also please excuse the typo's as I have latex gloves on to keep the kaka at bay

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
What are you working on...If a China HT (and manual clutch), the only thing is the pads and flywheel. Either the pads are worn or the clutch needs adjustment.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
The gear that's on the crankshaft, clutch side, can slip if the woodruff key is missing. That's unlikely the issue, have you adjusted the flower nut that goes on the clutch plate, the one that is blocked by a small brass screw?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Another thing I ran across yesterday (helping a MB owner) is that the bucking bar can be worn down, thus unable to adjust the clutch. If so take a 5'16" drill bit and cut (using a grinder) the shaft to length. This will be the last bucking bar ever needed.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
The gear that's on the crankshaft, clutch side, can slip if the woodruff key is missing. That's unlikely the issue, have you adjusted the flower nut that goes on the clutch plate, the one that is blocked by a small brass screw?
Yes I did & thank you Al. Nailed it with the bucking bar call Figures I have every drill bit known to man except the 5/16th . I also see someone borrowed some of my $%!t and forgot to tell me

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yes I did & thank you Al. Nailed it with the bucking bar call Figures I have every drill bit known to man except the 5/16th . I also see someone borrowed some of my $%!t and forgot to tell me
5/16" is not set in stone...you can use a larger drill, just make sure that the shank will move freely in the clutch shaft. Although it's not as tough as a drill bit, a 5/16" (metric 8mm grade 8.8) grade 5 bolt with a shank that is long enough will work. Cut the head off first then work on the length.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Did you guys see me second build? Serial number #002 Haha
Did any of you guys know "because I sure did not" That Kawasaki started making Mountain bikes My wife says "Finally after 85 years Kawasaki makes a bike without a motor and you gotta ruin it by putting a motor on it". Sure is nice to see she appreciates my talent as a bolt turner.

I cant stand this mess I need to invent wireless brakes , wireless throttle.
With my luck though the throttle will stick wide open like it did on my Nitro car & go from 50 M.P.H. to 0 into a brick wall that wouldn't be fun now would it?!!

Not nearly as big and roomy as my Schwinn it is a lot tighter though

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I solved all my clutch slipping problems by filing the edges of the pads so they fit better into the clutch gear without binding. If you have very many miles on your clutch it better to start with new pads so they're all the same thickness.

I don't think you got enought stuff on your handle bars yet. You need to add more bars lol.

Last edited: