$5,000 Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
We saw this bicycle Saturday on our Dallas MB ride. It's all carbon fiber, and the guy said it cost $5,000

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
scotto, that bike is frickin sweet. i think ive seen other threads you have it on. and you race it dont you? only problem i think would be riding it on the street without getting hassled by the police. its kinda over the 50cc thing. LOL

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And I'll just bet that guy was so proud of the fact that he spent 5K on a bicycle. Some people have more $ than brains.
Like P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". :)
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
And I'll just bet that guy was so proud of the fact that he spent 5K on a bicycle. Some people have more $ than brains.
Like P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". :)
Tom
You don't even know the half of it.

In Dallas guys like that are dime a dozen. I have a customer that has a more conventional looking road bicycle that's carbon fiber and cost 5 thou. He owns a chain of stores that sell upscale reading glasses.

But all those bicycle guys combined don't count for squat compared to the Harley yuppies in this town. For them you ain't dit if you don't spend at least $5000 on your brand new $25,000 Harley before you ever pick it up.

At the custom boutique shops like Strokers, mid level clones are $50,000. Guys riding those bikes want $30,000 paint jobs to keep up with the Jones.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
We saw this bicycle Saturday on our Dallas MB ride. It's all carbon fiber, and the guy said it cost $5,000

One thing we have in common with this bike, that I like, is a comfortable riding stance when you come to a stop. My seat is low enough that I can plant both my feet on the ground at once too.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
When folks talk about their property in terms of how much it cost them, I automatically tune out. Some folks are into impressing others with how much money they spent on something instead of the item's actual qualities, i.e. weight, performance, etc...etc.. It seems to be the case with many hobbies and something I regularly see in RC model airplanes too. Most of my RC planes are made from gutter pipe (for fuselage) and corrugated plastic signboard for the flying surfaces) and I'm amazed by the flak I catch because I'm not flying multi-thousand $$ airplanes like others at my (former) RC club.

Gotta go, the battery in my $2k laptop battery is dying and I need to change the oil ($10/liter) on my $42k Jeep today so I can trailer my $800 motorized bike for a ride later today after I clean my $300k home.....just kidding I'm actually picking up another Skyliner comfort bike from craigslist for $50 bucks today. I'm hoping to make this one into a 4 stroke shifter bike.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, that looks like a nice sack rest on the top/down tube there. The headrest and seating position looks like it would give you a kink in the neck trying to look forward rotfl

I'd like to see that bike show up on the track at Grange this week-end....one lap on that track with 14 turns would be a workout on that thing laff

dnut

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
The bike could be either a Bacchetta carbon fiber or The Hostel shoppe's [Located in Wisconsin] version called the Volae. These bikes are called high racer recumbents

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If I were competing, I could see spending 5K or more.

But I'm not. And I have kids to feed and bills to pay, on a government salary. I may not have to justify buying a 5K bike with my own money to my wife. But of the few people on this earth whose opinion matters to me, she's number one.

I bring home a 5K recumbent and try to explain the virtues of the comfortable riding position,...and she might hand me a pillow and blanket to go with it. And guess where I'd be sleeping.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If I were competing, I could see spending 5K or more.

But I'm not. And I have kids to feed and bills to pay, on a government salary. I may not have to justify buying a 5K bike with my own money to my wife. But of the few people on this earth whose opinion matters to me, she's number one.

I bring home a 5K recumbent and try to explain the virtues of the comfortable riding position,...and she might hand me a pillow and blanket to go with it. And guess where I'd be sleeping.
In the dog house with a $5,000 recumbent and no dog? laff

dnut

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
$5000 for that pile of junk?..... each to their own i guess.

Lately ive noticed some newcomers to this site that seem to want to put on the most expensive off the shelf parts, just beacuse they can, then suggest their "assembled" bike is far superior to my hand built creation....... maybe it is, but my pockets are full with the money i saved, and my head full (well half full anyways) of knowledge of things i learnt while building.

Im not knocking for a moment someone that doesnt possess the skills to build a bike themselves, but when someone focuses too much on the value of parts/bike or how they are somehow superior it gets my blood boiling