Do your friends think you are crazy?

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im fairly sure all my friends think im crazy, and workmates too for building "bikes with motors on them". Is it just me or do you encounter the same?

Dont get me wrong, people have seen my bikes and liked them. But im the only person i know (besides you guys of course) that has this passion for these MB's. Im always thinking about things to do on my bikes and always find myself checking in here to see peoples progress. I love it. Im hooked.

Ive been into cars, mountainbikes, motocross. I havent been into MB's all that long but i am loving it. I guess its a lot like building a motorcycle although a lot easier and cheaper but none the less rewarding. I love the process from start to finish. And what i love about this site is some of the best and creative ideas were FREE. Its not about whos got the biggest wallet, just build what you are into and put your spin on it. And they are fun.

So get building LOL

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I haven't run across anyone that thinks I'm "crazy" in fact if it wasn't for the cost ($300.00-$400.00) to build them I'd have a large customer base. I've had one guy that saw our bikes during a garage sale my wife had last year, he wanted to look at them again when he saw her at a friends garage sale this month. He wants 2 one for each or his grand children. We quoted him $400.00 each...and you supply the bike. My builds take 2 days to build and come with a number of mods.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well said, Harry.
I'm sure you're going to get a lot of agreement on your thoughts.
It is indeed a satisfying hobby. Addictive to a point but so much less expensive than cars, boats, motorcycles etc. and offers each of us a challenge that ends in rewards not always seen from other efforts.
Thanks for sharing your insights.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've never been told I am crazy for riding MB's, but I have been told many,many times I am crazy for riding in the bike lane next to 4,000 pound idiot drivers.

Crazy Grandma

Jun 8, 2011
mission viejo, ca
Im fairly sure all my friends think im crazy, and workmates too for building "bikes with motors on them". Is it just me or do you encounter the same?

Dont get me wrong, people have seen my bikes and liked them. But im the only person i know (besides you guys of course) that has this passion for these MB's. Im always thinking about things to do on my bikes and always find myself checking in here to see peoples progress. I love it. Im hooked.

Ive been into cars, mountainbikes, motocross. I havent been into MB's all that long but i am loving it. I guess its a lot like building a motorcycle although a lot easier and cheaper but none the less rewarding. I love the process from start to finish. And what i love about this site is some of the best and creative ideas were FREE. Its not about whos got the biggest wallet, just build what you are into and put your spin on it. And they are fun.

So get building LOL
Well Harry I am a Lady in my mid forties ridin. LOL People I know have known me to be spontaneous and I just keep gettin better. I new on here but I had some great help already. I'm hooked too!!!! I agree I'm thinking of different things to do to my girl. I am so green though its not funny.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Well Harry I am a Lady in my mid forties ridin. LOL People I know have known me to be spontaneous and I just keep gettin better. I new on here but I had some great help already. I'm hooked too!!!! I agree I'm thinking of different things to do to my girl. I am so green though its not funny.
LOL, every one of us started out green, but it helps if you're mechanically inclined and tinker with cars. If not, it just takes a little longer, but you'll always get better.

I have a newly-painted 1957 Chevrolet Belair sport coupe in the shop now. All I think about is my 40 mph+ motorized bike.

My friends and co-workers think I'm crazy for riding any bicycle in town.

They all think I'm insane for riding in traffic.

I must look funny, walking down the hallway in a government office, wearing my kneepads, elbow pads, safety vest and carrying a motorcycle helmet.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Oh, they know I'm crazy! They thought my insanely over-powered RC cars were enough...now this thing! They'll be checking me in soon enough!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Just got a friends bike running this weekend and went for test roll monday,for three hours all he could say was " this is crazy and I'm loving it" . That kinda crazy I got in spades. Were all a little touched to willingly share the roadway with roadraged caged cell phone addicts ,but there's deff something that draws one back again and again. Drawing one into late nights in the shop , out to the blue hiways of the countryside , and further still into your next build.
Is it a sickness ,an addiction? Or just our inner child clawing there way out? Whatever the "it " is even the most eloquint and verbose of us fail to paint the picture well enough to satisfy the new seeker's lust to deffine "it" and share that experiance with others.
Perhaps it is in the journey that we find the destination, and being crazy helps with that alot...:)

Poopyboogin420

Feb 4, 2011
Montana
Well said, Harry.
I'm sure you're going to get a lot of agreement on your thoughts.
It is indeed a satisfying hobby. Addictive to a point but so much less expensive than cars, boats, motorcycles etc. and offers each of us a challenge that ends in rewards not always seen from other efforts.
Thanks for sharing your insights.
Tom
You're right, this is my way of building something sweet, all in my kitchen, and for soooo much less $$$ than it would be to build a car or motorcycle. And all in my kitchen.;)

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
This is my car...

It's 700hp at the flywheel..supercharged LS2 Vette motor.

It has a spun main bearing right now....
so I'm saving my money to buy an LY6 iron short block.
This MB trybridbicycle stuff is an awesome low budget diversion for me whilst my dollars pile up...

Yes My wife thinks i'm crazy...
But everybody stops and druels over my bikes...and I guess it's something I need...dunno why...but I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You're right, this is my way of building something sweet, all in my kitchen, and for soooo much less $$$ than it would be to build a car or motorcycle. And all in my kitchen.;)
Thats why im totally addicted to building these things, and im just as addicted to checking into this site, i check it when i wake, before i sleep and numerous times per day to see if that later build has progressed.

And most people here take pride in how little they spent, and how much of the project they did by themselves. Thats far more impressive to me then some guy whos bragging about a $10,000 Billet set of wheels they picked from a catalogue to put on their immaculate showcars..... not to mention how everyone on this site seems willing to honestly help each other rather then bagging out someone elses project just because it isnt their own..... i come across that in the car scene.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Harry,

i feel exactly the same ! no one of my friends, workmates or neighbours are interested in motorized bicycles, they think i'm going nuts LOL
without question, they all like my bike, but they don't want to have one too !
if you people ask : "you want it too ?" they always say "no, no...." cause they would rather ride scooters ! yeah it's so much easier to turn the key and go ahead.
They don't want to check the bike before a ride, don't want dirty fingers at repairs or adjustments. Man, people are going so lazy and comfortable, i don't know what happend with all mankind....too much junk-tv and chips and, and....
And some people aren't interested to an item for long time, a friend of mine changed his hobby every half year ! first bicycles, then slot-cars, radio controlled helicopters, lots of little electric gadgets, cell-phones and so on.
Folks don't know what they're missing, it's so much fun to ride around and tinker a while at these bikes !

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
Thats why im totally addicted to building these things, and im just as addicted to checking into this site, i check it when i wake, before i sleep and numerous times per day to see if that later build has progressed.

And most people here take pride in how little they spent, and how much of the project they did by themselves. Thats far more impressive to me then some guy whos bragging about a $10,000 Billet set of wheels they picked from a catalogue to put on their immaculate showcars..... not to mention how everyone on this site seems willing to honestly help each other rather then bagging out someone elses project just because it isnt their own..... i come across that in the car scene.
Exactly...there is always some joe with more money in the car scene..
But Bicycles are about creativity, inginuity, commraderie...assisting each other...pointing each other in the right direction.
In cars...they want to key it and put salt in the gas tank!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry,

i feel exactly the same ! no one of my friends, workmates or neighbours are interested in motorized bicycles, they think i'm going nuts LOL
without question, they all like my bike, but they don't want to have one too !
if you people ask : "you want it too ?" they always say "no, no...." cause they would rather ride scooters ! yeah it's so much easier to turn the key and go ahead.
They don't want to check the bike before a ride, don't want dirty fingers at repairs or adjustments. Man, people are going so lazy and comfortable, i don't know what happend with all mankind....too much junk-tv and chips and, and....
And some people aren't interested to an item for long time, a friend of mine changed his hobby every half year ! first bicycles, then slot-cars, radio controlled helicopters, lots of little electric gadgets, cell-phones and so on.
Folks don't know what they're missing, it's so much fun to ride around and tinker a while at these bikes !
So true. The saddest thing i think is kids these days (at least where i am from) dont ride to school, and as a result there are children out there that dont know how to ride a bike, for whatever reason : too much traffic, too many child predators out there???? Those kids are really missing out on something.

I think when we grew up and became a teenager many want to put a distance between being a kid, therefore would probably rather drive, and driving is a novelty at first. But many adults (and kids these days) have forgotten the joys of riding a bicycle. Dont get me wrong.... i love cars, i love motorcycles, but bicycles and motorbicycles are so much fun. You see the world passing you by in a totally different light.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You Americans made the muscle. We just designed the tin around it and shipped em back to you. We have been wanting your musclecars forever, its nice to see you return the favour... lol

I must say i prefer the Pontiac frontend to the Holden one we see here.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
You Americans made the muscle. We just designed the tin around it and shipped em back to you. We have been wanting your musclecars forever, its nice to see you return the favour... lol

I must say i prefer the Pontiac frontend to the Holden one we see here.
I agree about the front end....forgive me..but the monaro front end almost looks...dare I say? "MUSTANGISH"
The pontiac kidneys almost look beamerish...JMO

That's some awesome tin by the way.. ;)
ferrari looking interior to boot!