diy chrome plating

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
it seems i'm always powder coating or painting something i really want to be chrome as theres almost no chromers left in this state, the few there are are high buck with a 3 to 6 week turn around time. been looking into home plating kits and would like some input from people who have used them.
these are the kits i'm looking at.Triple Chrome Plating Equipment Kits and Anodizing Kit Supplies
would be nice to plate your own parts when needed. just a few uses would cover the cost of the kit over paying a chrome shop if they work as good as the sellers imply.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cam,
Check your local environmental laws before buying. I suppose if no one knew you were plating you could get away with it but the chemicals and waste of the chrome process is why most plating shops have gone away. They couldn't afford to comply with the requirements of the EPA. A small home shop might not be hobbled by the same laws but I'd do a little research first.
Just a suggestion.
Tom

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
all the sites that sell these kits say that home hobby kits are not regulated. still when the time comes to dispose of the chemicals you could call one of those companys that refill and dispose parts washers fluids.
i'm looking at it from the point of having just one vintage bike rechromed to save the original parts would cover the cost of a kit.
many times i've replaced the skip link drive with a modern one because rechroming would cost to much.