broke motor stud due to a offroad trip

GoldenMotor.com

otheracco

Jul 19, 2010
Minnesota - Near Cities
Hmm, having a hard time finding grade 8 bolts in 7/32"

How about Grade 5 or better? Sickbikeparts has a kit
Sick Bike Parts

I'd rather get something local though. I'm not going to buy an $80 helicoil set for one use so will stay the same diameter, so does anyone know where I could find these little engine mounting bolts locally?

BTW, I cut a slot into the broken off bolts with a dremel cutting wheel to extract them. It worked very well and was very easy. Don't use a drill or ez out if you don't have to.

Last edited:

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
my rear mount is what im worried about too
on my bike I filed the mount to fit perfectly but im a hair to wide so my studs are bent out a hair

even if I replaced them the new ones would need to be forced wider
but I plan to only drive streets, and have put 3 gallons worth of fuel in the bike so far and check all the bolts after every ride
still very tight, I used nylox nuts and doubled nuts

just concerned about the monster pot hole one day
front mount is a heavy duty mount that uses a muffler clamp, that one is so good its pinching in my tube
if only they made something like that for the rear

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
my rear mount is what im worried about too
on my bike I filed the mount to fit perfectly but im a hair to wide so my studs are bent out a hair

even if I replaced them the new ones would need to be forced wider
but I plan to only drive streets, and have put 3 gallons worth of fuel in the bike so far and check all the bolts after every ride
still very tight, I used nylox nuts and doubled nuts

just concerned about the monster pot hole one day
front mount is a heavy duty mount that uses a muffler clamp, that one is so good its pinching in my tube
if only they made something like that for the rear
When bolts/studs are stressed as you mention, sooner or later the stud will break, strip the threads or much worse can break the block. Something will most likely give. I've even had to make a rear mount just for that reason. Two ways of doing it, with the rear mount installed and without the mount installed.

Here is one without the mount installed...I did this to lower the engine in the "V". A muffler clamp of the correct size holds the mount.

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
When bolts/studs are stressed as you mention, sooner or later the stud will break, strip the threads or much worse can break the block. Something will most likely give. I've even had to make a rear mount just for that reason. Two ways of doing it, with the rear mount installed and without the mount installed.

Here is one without the mount installed...I did this to lower the engine in the "V". A muffler clamp of the correct size holds the mount.
do you sell that mount?
ive seen one like that somewhere I think for sale and thought it was for the front
that would be perfect for mine, but I bet that will throw off my tension
and the front mount,, probably the height too

I will take a pic maybe mine isnt as bad

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
here is what I have looks like only the left side is bent out more
I had to hand file the engine mount alot to fit around my tube the outside strap was untouched