New Member w/ 2-Stroke Kit. Tips?

GoldenMotor.com

shoggoth80

Jan 30, 2011
Seattle
It was supposed to be an 80cc kit. But does such a beast really exist? OR is it a 60 something cc engine masquerading as something larger? :lol:
Didn't know there was a brand calling itself PK. Is that good, bad, indifferent? Just it seems the engine core itself is pretty nice for what it is, even if the gaskets, and studs are janky.

Small stuff like that is easily replaced, cheap, and some of it can be made. To me the "big deal" is a good, solid core. I'm not new to motorbikes, or to two-strokes... just the Chinese ones. Ha ha ha!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
PK's, I hope I'm not talking through my *$$, are supposed to be quite good. you should have fun with it! You are correct too about the displacement. In china they have a different method for measuring displacement, but by our commonly accepted practices it is actually 66cc's Enjoy :)

shoggoth80

Jan 30, 2011
Seattle
Good to know on the engine quality, even if it is only reputed to be good. I figure most things get a rep for a reason. I've got the head off now.Head gasket is just an aluminum piece. Maybe I can make a better one out of copper sheet or something? Many of my old bikes have had copper somewhere in regards to the top end. Copper washers, or gaskets, exhaust crush gaskets etc. Mating surface on the cylinder is cleaner than the mating surface on the head. Not a big deal though. I can clean it, or let a gooped gasket take up the difference. Engine specs are only a 6:1 ratio. That is relatively moderate. I had an old Suzuki TM 250 (actually still have it at my parents place) that would dig the kicker into your foot in a painful manner if it popped but didn't start. Ha ha ha!
Think it would handle a slight bump up in compression (say, if I thinned the gasket out a bit)? Think I am going to take some metal polish to the combustion chamber before it goes back together. It's a little rough (ie: looks like a cleaned up casting, but not machined as fine as say a Jap engine would be). Not looking to remove metal so much as to just smooth it out, in hopes of carbon deposit reduction.

shoggoth80

Jan 30, 2011
Seattle
Alright. Started getting it together. I got my stuff in from SBP. I changed the air filter, the jetting, the needle height, added a magnecor wire for the plug, dropped in a B5HS NGK, and used an O ring at the base of the carburetor, and clamped that down on the intake manifold. Looking like an engine.

Need to find a platform to stuff this into. Even if it is a cheapo (actually better if it is) bike/frame. I FINALLY got CDI boxes for my big-boy bike... so that set me back some cash. THAT project starts in the summer (with repainting my frame). I'm thinking that I will have to scrounge the free section of craigslist, or something to see if I can turn up any leads. Lol.

Just too fun...