Need some basic info.

GoldenMotor.com

ReallyOldGuy

Aug 19, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Hello: Am completely new to motorized bike. Have ordered my first kit...expecting it to arrive Monday. It is a center mount, with a rear wheel, chain drive to a separate sprocket. I am thinking of converting my old Trek Mountain bike. My very basic knowledge of engineering forces me to ask the question. Except when pedaling, what effect does the multi gears have when using the engine? The reason I ask, is that I might want to opt for a more comfortable Cruiser bike instead.
Know this is a dumb question, but I am advanced in age and it has been a really long time since I was in school.

Appreciate any advice.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The multi gears will allow easier pedaling if the engine quits, the drive chain breaks or you just want to pedal, nothing wrong with them. The sprocket is actually easier to mount on a multi speed type than a coaster brake type too.

ReallyOldGuy

Aug 19, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Thanks Nougat: I did that earlier...there will be a problem with the gas tank, but I found a work-around using somethinglike body putty that will adhere to the metal frame, and by pulling and pushing the cables during the drying time, will allow free movement of the cables after the stuff is about half cured. ..then mount the tank before completely cured. If that does not work, then I can mount the tank behind the seat on the carrier. There are other bugs as well....still thinking about just buying a cheap bike that does not have these problems.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hello: Am completely new to motorized bike. Have ordered my first kit...expecting it to arrive Monday. It is a center mount, with a rear wheel, chain drive to a separate sprocket. I am thinking of converting my old Trek Mountain bike. My very basic knowledge of engineering forces me to ask the question. Except when pedaling, what effect does the multi gears have when using the engine? The reason I ask, is that I might want to opt for a more comfortable Cruiser bike instead.
Know this is a dumb question, but I am advanced in age and it has been a really long time since I was in school.

Appreciate any advice.
Old is just a state of mind!Welcome.I built a motorized Trek mountain bike.the rear cables ran over the top of the top tube.I just built a little bridge over the cables with a piece of exhaust pipe split length wise and tacked it to the frame.
It is easier to build one using a cruiser thou.
If you are like most of us use that one as a learning platform.Then sell it and build a better one.
I'm on #20 and counting and I've only been doing it for a year!
P.S.I'm an old fart too.I have underwear older than most of these guys!!