Marine Oil?

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have been reading that marine oil is a no no, but I found this out a little late. So my question is: what harm does it do if any and should I get rid of the gallon of gas I mixed or is it all right to use it up switch to the right stuff?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Marine 2 cycle oil is for water cooled engines!
Water cooled engines run at much lower temps that air cooled engines.
If the bottle says it can also be used for air cooled, then don't worry about it.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The bottle did mention chainsaws and such but I will double check it in the morning thanks for the info

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Venice is right, but in addition you'll pay extra for anything that says "marine" on it - even if it's no better or worse.

So with that in mind, IF it says it's ok to use in air cooled engines - I'd roll with it until you've used it up and then get a quality 2 stroke oil that doesn't have that costly extra word ;)

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
One thing i've learnt about marine recreation is that one particular word "marine".
It invariably means you pay 3 times the amount for the same product used as an automotive product.

From what i've seen, there seems to be no justification to charge outrageous prices for marine parts or products.

Fabian

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You pay extra for marine or aircraft stuff because if your bike quits out in the water or up in the air, you got some real problems.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm pretty sure that if it's the Yamalube Marine 2-stroke oil then it's designed for water-cooled engines only... I've checked the local Yamaha Performance Outboard service center & marina and I've been all through their oil selection.

Air cooled 2-stroke Yamalube is available, but it's not "marine" - might wanna double check that (type that's available), Yamalube is also commonly available as a semi-synthetic... which I consider kinda pointless, but that's jus' an opinion ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, I asked my buddy (one of the Yamaha techs) and he said it's manufactured by Citgo and to the best of his knowledge it's not rebranded at all...

Even if it were, I doubt Yamaha (or Citgo) would be willing to admit it, they're pretty snooty about that kinda stuff lol

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Oh crikey - we can't use Yamalube if it's made by Citgo.
Citgo is under the control of that evil (anti American) Venezuelan dictator, Hugo Chavez.

Now what are we all going to do - we'll have to go back to running 30 weight oil at 16:1 :-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I broke in 2 motors with Mercury Quick Silver Marine Oil, I run it in my Evinrude Bass Boat Engine, and chain saws, weedeaters ect. as well and it performs great in everything I've put it in, I used it mixed 20-1 for break in and now I run Shaeffer Full Synthetic Oil in my "china girl" bike motors @ around 70-1 ratio and they run great, never had an issue with the Marine oil not oiling @ 20-1.....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I get the feeling you could run one of these engines on sae 30 at 16:1 and be fine...who cares what refinery it came from, or who runs the country it came from, you bought the engine kit from china right?

Jack Skip

Dec 26, 2016
Abaco Bahamas
Had this discussion years ago for 2 stroke gas engines we used in our RC planes.

Marine oils manufactured to various levels or standards. TCW3 being the present lowest acceptable quality. Outboard oils from engine manufacturers are well above this standard in quality. Evinrude now sells 3 levels. I use their mid level in my boat.

That said, most had best results using Pensoil oil. Its what I have.

I would not use marine oil in these air cooled engines. We used to really abuse some of our RC engines (high alpha moves with almost no air flow for cooling swinging the biggest props we could fit). Pensoil always worked well. Some using marine oil had other results.

Feb 2, 2017
California
I've been using marine 2 stroke oil, running fine with no problems at all. I think people get too caught up with labeling these days, I mean, if I was manufacturing oils I would call it "High Performance Super Racing Oil" or something...... that would make my oils fly off the shelf, I bet. You know how people are these days, gullible.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Marine oil is not recommended for air cooled engines on the premise that air cools run hotter . Back when I flew Rotax engines we ran Penzoil Universal oil. Was the gold standard among Rotax fliers. Could be used for water cooled stuff too.

All that said I got left with a nearly full gallon of Penzoil synthetic when I changed from a 2stroke Yamaha 115 outboard to a 4stroke. Has been running fine in the weedeaters, blowers saws etc. Wont run it in my classic Vespa though. Would probably be ok but I baby the old girl with a German synthetic.

As a side interest my old Maytag engines require 30wt ND motor oil. Newer oils are too thin. Mixed at 20:1 it provides a good bit of the engines compression as well as being sure the bushings are well lubed. There not a single ball bearing in the engine internally. This is another raging discussion on the old engine forums.

Jack Skip

Dec 26, 2016
Abaco Bahamas
Similar to one of the latest Honda outboard service notices they actually recommend the older lower grade oils for their 4 stroke outboards. Newer oils have striped out some of the more lubricating properties. For the sake of car emissions newer oils lack these properties.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Similar to one of the latest Honda outboard service notices they actually recommend the older lower grade oils for their 4 stroke outboards. Newer oils have striped out some of the more lubricating properties. For the sake of car emissions newer oils lack these properties.
Specifically, ZDDP or zinc. Modern motor oils lack it because it clogs catalytic converters. I use high-zinc oils and/or a zinc additive in all my small 4 stroke engines. STP Oil Treatment is one additive that is inexpensive, contains relatively high zinc levels and has been around a long time. It would probably work well as an additive in 2 smokers, too.