Need a bike, need an engine, but just curious in North Texas

GoldenMotor.com

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
I don't even know where to begin. I've been looking around at the different antique bikes. I like the boxxer too. I'm guessing if I venture to far out of my neighborhood I'll have to be careful of the Frisco, TX cops. They just look bored. I don't even know if Texas has a moped law or what.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
A quick answer is that electric assist is legal in TX and gas is not (but it is not quite that simple).
In many communities in TX, the don't cite the gas powered bikes.
Gas bikes can be legal if you can make them conform to the goped law (gopeds are legal)
You may be able to make your gas assisted bicycle appear to be electric assisted.
Check out the legal portion of the forum for posts about TX.

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
This friend of mine sells some bikes. I don't even know if they are any good. Not trying to advertise for him. Its just an option for me. hxxp://www.scootersnbikes.com/cs-220b.html Maybe its just better to get a good quality bike to begin with and then add the gas or electric motor? I really like beach cruisers. Are there any cool beach cruiser conversions?

Flying O MB

Jan 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
I just finished my first build. I am over in Fort Worth. I have not had any problems with the law yet. As fo the builb, I found my Classic cruiser on Craigslist. bought an engine from Zone 8. If you have any questions let me know. I have a couple of pics of my MB posted under Flying O MB in introduce yourself and pics and videodance1

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
I just finished my first build. I am over in Fort Worth. I have not had any problems with the law yet. As fo the builb, I found my Classic cruiser on Craigslist. bought an engine from Zone 8. If you have any questions let me know. I have a couple of pics of my MB posted under Flying O MB in introduce yourself and pics and videodance1
Is there any particular cruiser one should look out for? What is the difference between a zone 8 motor and a morini? I'm assuming one is Chinese and one is Italian?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Steel cruiser frames are better for gas assist motors. The steel tubing absorbs vibration. The stock motor mounts fit steel frame tubes much better than fat aluminum tubes.
Morini motors are better made, more powerful and more expensive than China motors.
China motors are designed to bolt right on to your bicycle frame.
Mounting a Morini on your bicycle will require fabricated motor mounts.

Make your first build a simple one (steel framed bike with China motor).
If you you still enjoy the hobby after a year, then you are ready to invest in a Morini or build a more challenging bike project.

Last edited:

truckinusa

Jan 19, 2010
Frisco, TX
Steel cruiser frames are better for gas assist motors. The steel tubing absorbs vibration. The stock motor mounts fit steel frame tubes much better than fat aluminum tubes.
Morini motors are better made, more powerful and more expensive than China motors.
China motors are designed to bolt right on to your bicycle frame.
Mounting a Morini on your bicycle will require fabricated motor mounts.

Make your first build a simple one (steel framed bike with China motor).
If you you still enjoy the hobby after a year, then you are ready to invest in a Morini or build a more challenging bike project.
So what is a good suggestion for a beach cruiser? I'd rather find something on the used market at a bargain. I would like to ride a bike anyways.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Truck - I wouldn't get hung up on a brand name. Dept store Schwinns and Huffy's work fine if the frame is steel.
You can find a cheap used cruiser at yard sales, craigslist.org and thrift stores, like GoodWill.
You will see many motorbikes in the photo gallery made from these bargain bikes that work great.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
The older the frame the better. I'm using an old steel Murrary that holds up fine. Actually found it on the roadside one night, had a bent seat post, so someone abandoned it. Didn't have to walk home that night! Now I never have to with my china girl installed. Workman frames are good also for a solid build with heavy duty build and wheels. Also I built a Grubee GT2 bike for a friend of mine, and he's had nothing but fun tearing up his country roads. He likes the built-in gas tank. Good Luck and don't forget to post us some build picts.

Attachments