TREK 4500/ GEBE w/ GP460 build

GoldenMotor.com
May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
Hi Jason,

Longmont eh ? i met my wife there in 77 and moved back here in 86. i'd like to come back sometime, my wife's there now helping her mom after her dad's recent death.

the bungees may not be perm. but ut was a place to start. i'm using to bike to commute so it's locked in the garage till i go and then inside my employers building while i'm there.

thanks for pointing it out though, i hadn't given that side any thought, as i wrote this i realized ho wi can add locking neckrings.

thanks,
steve

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
Hey Steve,

A customer of mine is now doing the same thing as you are, building for his friends and relatives, he says one hit 52 mph.

The main problem he has is letting somebody else ride his personal souped up model, twice in a row (in fact the only two times) he let somebody try it, bye bye belt.

I guess that would be a "theft" deterrent, but somebody with little or no familiarity to the quirks of acceleration will cost you $20 in belt replacement.

simonkim

Nov 12, 2008
dallas
dominator pipe or not ,some say only for up hill and not for speed and some say yes it gives you more hp will boost speed

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
Simon,

i can't say on the Mitz 52 but i can say that if you go over to gopednation.com and ask in the engine tech portion of their forum you will get a real answer.

i can tell you that the Dom. on the 460 will make more HP and more topend than without. probably the best thing you can do for the 460, next is a .005" copper base gasket.

the best springs you can buy for the 460 come from Staton Inc. check out their website then call david and tell him you want the 3,000rpm engagement clutch springs, he makes these for the Honda 4stroke but they are fantastic for the 460 and the only springs that hold up in it. the stock and clutch saver springs from DDM are trash.

steve

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
i did alittle searching for you over at gopednation, the attitude seems to be that the 460 has more power.

also, i don't have the 460 on a GEBE platform anymore, i went to chain drive then dropped that too.

i'm building a dual belt jack shaft setup of my own design now.

my best recommedation for info about GEBE/ GP460 bikes is to go over to motoredbikes.com and look up user kawasaki999. he has 4 GEBE bikes, 2 460, 1 Tanaka 47R and another i don't remember.

you could also look me up over there under user name detonator tuning, i have a mirror thread over there same name as this one that is very extensive and relates everything i ran into and what i did about it.

BTW, it's easiest to use the PM feature if you want to talk off forum.

steve

Last edited:

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
i did alittle searching for you over at gopednation, the attitude seems to be that the 460 has more power.

also, i don't have the 460 on a GEBE platform anymore, i went to chain drive then dropped that too.

i'm building a dual belt jack shaft setup of my own design now.

my best recommedation for info about GEBE/ GP460 bikes is to go over to motoredbikes.com and look up user kawasaki999. he has 4 GEBE bikes, 2 460, 1 Tanaka 47R and another i don't remember.

you could also look me up over there under user name detonator tuning, i have a mirror thread over there same name as this one that is very extensive and relates everything i ran into and what i did about it.

BTW, it's easiest to use the PM feature if you want to talk off forum.

steve
If you can post an update on thos dual belt you mentioned I would love to hear the result.

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
Roadkill,

the fastest way to fill you i n on the dual belt project is to invite you over to the other forum and see my thread "trek 4500 / gp460 now dual belt jackshaft" in the rack mount sub-forum.

shortest answer, i have the belts and pulleys sourced but have yet to convert over from right hand chain drive to left hand belt drive.

thanks,
steve

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Roadkill,

the fastest way to fill you i n on the dual belt project is to invite you over to the other forum and see my thread "trek 4500 / gp460 now dual belt jackshaft" in the rack mount sub-forum.

shortest answer, i have the belts and pulleys sourced but have yet to convert over from right hand chain drive to left hand belt drive.

thanks,
steve
Thanks. Belts can be had almost anywhere but chains are scarce. I think the small friction on the front and belt in rear is ideal. I pasted "trek 4500 / gp460 now twin belt jackshaft" in google to find it. Thanks.

If one could get a forward direction bike fixed for a train track situation they could have two pulleys on the motor driving two rim sheeves. As long as there is no turning it would look funny. I never could figure out how to stay on a track without falling off though I hear it can be done. Time for a new post.

Last edited:
May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
the belts i'm going to use are accessable but hardly "everywhere".

these are Kevlar belted 8mm pitch, 5/8" wide coged belts from Continental.

i saw a publis TV special abou tbike treking on rail road lines, actually riding bikes on the tracks.

those guys had small outrigger wheels on a colapsable "boom" that followed the opposite rail and automatically held them upright and in line with the ridden rail.

looked real easy to lift off and out of the way if any "traffic" appeared.

my buddies designed a converted Raptor "quad" as a track racer, you need LOTS of power around here, all the intact lines here are pretty active and you will have to be able to outrun the "traffic" until you get to a spot where you can get off.

steve

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
the belts i'm going to use are accessable but hardly "everywhere".

these are Kevlar belted 8mm pitch, 5/8" wide coged belts from Continental.

i saw a publis TV special abou tbike treking on rail road lines, actually riding bikes on the tracks.

those guys had small outrigger wheels on a colapsable "boom" that followed the opposite rail and automatically held them upright and in line with the ridden rail.

looked real easy to lift off and out of the way if any "traffic" appeared.

my buddies designed a converted Raptor "quad" as a track racer, you need LOTS of power around here, all the intact lines here are pretty active and you will have to be able to outrun the "traffic" until you get to a spot where you can get off.

steve
That must be something.. Looking back and seeing the grill that can turn you into cheese spread..
Thanks for the boom idea.. As for "outrigger wheels" I am a little stumped.

outrigger - Google Images

This is quite interesting. At night one might find opposing traffic with a burned out headlight...

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
google "railbike" you'll get lots of info and pics of many configurations

steve

particularly "railriders.net" for a motored version
Thank you. That will be a blast... 30 minutes later and I already bought a book! Thank you kind sir.

Some say they are the most quiet of transportation.. Wait till I show up! My user handle here should be "heel on rails" ! (can't say h#*ven I bet either!!) Jeeeez

Just kidding. Did get the book though.. thx.

.cptr.