Multiple chain problems

GoldenMotor.com

noodlecare

Mar 8, 2016
Uk
Hello, I put my engine on a mountain bike. I bought more 415 chain to complete the length. All was well. I installed the tensioner and got my engine to run. But as soon as the engine started, the chain would either come off the wheel sprocket, or get stuck on the clutch, because it would skip a chain. Then when I made my chain tighter and it worked temporarily until it snapped the tensioner. I want to make it seemless, but it is very difficult. Is there a way I could set it up to not need a tensioner. that would extremely help. Thank you!:-||

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Do a search for "half link" and you should get lots of info on running without a chain tensioner.

Is your chain scraping the engine drive sprocket cover or parts behind it?

noodlecare

Mar 8, 2016
Uk
Do a search for "half link" and you should get lots of info on running without a chain tensioner.

Is your chain scraping the engine drive sprocket cover or parts behind it?
:-||:-||:-||:-||
Thank you so much!
I will try the half link.
Yes it does sometimes scrape behind the engine sprocket.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Try dremeling out the inside of the cover where it is hitting to give it more clearance. There is a thread somewhere about doing just that, but I can't seem to find it. Also on the topic of not running a chain tensioner. If your bike has the ability to move the wheel forwards and backwards what I do is set the chain and then pull on the rear wheel essentially tightening the chain to be tensioner free.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Everything the OP describes in his post tells me his chain is too loose and/or his sprockets are not aligned. Chains don't just jump off or bunch up if they are tensioned and aligned correctly.

Concentricity of the rear sprocket to the rear hub is also a contributing factor. If the sprocket isn't centered on the hub the chain will probably jump off resulting in his problems.
Tom

Last edited: