Official test results of the HD Lightning just in!

GoldenMotor.com

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Indeed.
I found that a gap of 25 with the lightning is the best for my setup. I run 30 on my other two.an yes the smooth crispy feel you get from the cdi is very noticable from get go.
.025- huh!

I'll have to give that a shot.
Smooth and crispy- yeah, crispy. Lively. Reliable fire.
I use an NGK 5 in cool weather, and a 6 as it warms up. I don't know if that has any bearing on the case.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I was told to trash the 6 an 7 an run the 8. So far there advice has not been wrong.but its up to choice on that.
My bike is sooo stock, tuned for low end torque and never revs above 5500- I found it took over a mile just to get warmed up in summer.
I ran a 7, then the 6, landed on a 5 and my temps were better.
My engine is low output and geared tall. It putts between 17 and 24mph with the throttle less than half open. WOT gets me 27-28 or so on the flat, but with no high rpm vibes or noise or wear.
The laws here wouldn't want to see me going 35, they'd bust my hind end off the road for that. I see em all the time.
But it is nice putting along so mellow, and I'm in no hurry.
The gas milage is ridiculous. I estimate it at 140 mpg.
Each rider can benefit by experimenting with heat ranges. All these bikes are unique, if not in build they still are in terms of use. Each number represents about 50 degrees C in combustion temps.
Racers running flat out like a colder plug, meter maid trikes benefit from a hotter plug.
It's all in the application. That's why they bless us with the choice.
Now that I've completely derailed the HD lightning subject, I'll shut up.
I talk too much.
sorry ;)

Last edited:

roadrash

Feb 11, 2015
Wilmington nc
To be clear about sparkplugs 2 of my bikes run the regular plug.my cr machine uses a 10mm plug. Just saying. An yes a steady crue is nice an layer back