148cc 3.5HP/4.5ft lbs converted Briggs mower engine

GoldenMotor.com

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
For Sale:148cc 3.5HP/4.5ft.lbs. converted Briggs mower engine

I'm looking to sell my Briggs and Stratton engine. It started it's life out as a vertical shaft engine on a 2006 model year push mower. After reading around the forum to see if it was possible to convert this engine to run on it's side, I noticed that there wasn't really a definitive or well documented answer. So, I decided to give it a try on this motor to see if it could be done. BTW, yes it is possible!

The engine has all new gaskets and a new oil fill hole on the side. (and a red head just for fun:) ) I also had to cut new oil channels near the bearings and plug up some of the old ones as seen in the image below.

Also, I decided to go with a standard NT carburetor meant for 66/80cc 2-stroke engines so a twist throttle could be used. I did a few quick tests on the bench to make sure that the carburetor would work, which it does.

Anyways, now that the project is complete, I don't have much of a use for the engine. I'm open to offers as I haven't really decided on a price. The buyer will pay shipping, though. I'll make sure to drain the oil before shipping it to cut costs.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you're interested. Also feel free to post any questions or comments in the thread below.

Thanks,
pulsar2121

Here's a few photos with and without the cover on.

P.S. In case your wondering, the muffler is a screw in type, but there are mounting holes in the engine block near the exhaust port so a bolt-on style pipe can be used.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Drop that thing in a drop loop frame and really look vintage with a rope pull starter. What direction is the PTO in that position? It would help if it's CW for right-hand drive.
It's a flathead, it's a redhead, it's a flat redhead :D

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Rotation should be cc looking at the shaft.....engines gonna be tricky to mount off the side.

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Drop that thing in a drop loop frame and really look vintage with a rope pull starter. What direction is the PTO in that position? It would help if it's CW for right-hand drive.
It's a flathead, it's a redhead, it's a flat redhead :D
I like the way you think. This would look pretty sick on a 50's or 60's era Schwinn. Racie35, is right though: the PTO does turn counterclockwise. So you'd have to mount the engine with the PTO on the right side, but hey it would take the jackshaft part out of the workings if you plan on paring it with a shifter kit.

Also, LOL on the "flat redhead." We better be careful or we might have ginger snap situation. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKvHkcANLcg

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Looking at the picture, the breather is in the right place as a side shaft engine is. Did you see any mention about the recoil and the differences in the pawl clutch? The inner stuff for the pawl clutches on the recoils differ from verticle to horizontal shaft (side shaft).

It might need to be changed for that or worn out reason.

I know just from a worn out pawl clutch I tried to clean off the burrs inside from years of use, but it needed to be replaced. I think it was under $20 for a new one. What would happen is it would grab the cord and pull it back in after the engine was being started. Not nice for you hand. Then it would wind the wrong way the cord till it came to an almost abrupt stop, and sheared the aluminum key in the flywheel keyway. Keep some of those special aluminum soft metal ones on hand as the steel ones are just for the crankshaft.

MT

Nice to see more Briggs 4 Stroke builds!

Last edited:

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Hey MT,

I did some research on the forum about the recoil and found some of your old posts that show the sheared off flywheel key. I don't think it applies to this situation though. This recoil just has two spring loaded arms that fit into the grooves in the cup that bolt onto the flywheel. The arms disengage when the engine starts. That being said, the recoil works just like it did when the engine was mounted vertically on the mower. So I don't really foresee any issues.

The only thing on the recoil that I modified was rope length so it didn't hang out. (Ropes are longer on vertical shaft engines so they can mount on the handlebar of the push mower.) I guess the top part of the recoil housing could be rotated so the rope pulls up instead of down, but that would just be for ergonomics really since it would still turn the flywheel clockwise and the PTO counterclockwise.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I've seen those kind that don't use the pawl clutch. I have one like that in a old Coleman generator.

The angle that the recoil cord comes out may wear it a little faster, but not much appreciably. I did think about once taking and drilling out rivets, what some recoil part is mounted on the flywheel shroud. That would be only if the holes would be equally spaced and rotating it so that the cord comes out at a better placement. Then either re-riveting it back together or screw and nylon lock nut w/lock washer.

There is a thread that I saw here where a 2 stroke vertical shaft engine was put on its side. You might see how it was mounted on the frame. I remember since as opposed to some of the videos on converting vertical to horizontal shaft, where they have you saw off some of the metal that used to be flush with the lawn mower deck, it was kept intact. I do recall that there was welding to make the engine mount. Maybe you have seen it, if not I'll find it sometime and let you know.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43309&page=3 See post #27 on Page 3 of Dracothered's "58 Schwinn Wasp Build (My Dad's old bike)"

I should say the metal was cut off, but looks like re-fabed so the engine attachment bolt holes are still used, rather than other schemes. Some fastening ways include using guy cable to engine head bolt eye strap, and all kinds of ingenious ways when manufacturers intended fastening does not work.

Last edited:

pulsar2121

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Well, I decided to give your recoil rotation idea a try. I drilled out the rivets and then used bolts to put it back together. Here's a picture of what it looks like now.

Wow, it was a lot of work to get that spring on the inside of the recoil back into place and working again. It wasn't worth the hand cramps in my opinion, but now it's correct at least.

I did see the video on youtube where the guy cuts off the round part of the engine side cover, but I didn't think it was really necessary. It's more of a "just for looks" thing.

Anyways, great find on the thread discussing the engine mounting plate. I'm sure my future buyer will appreciate it. Of course the engine could be mounted off to one side or rear mounted in a trike frame too.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well, I decided to give your recoil rotation idea a try. I drilled out the rivets and then used bolts to put it back together. Here's a picture of what it looks like now.

Wow, it was a lot of work to get that spring on the inside of the recoil back into place and working again. It wasn't worth the hand cramps in my opinion, but now it's correct at least.

I did see the video on youtube where the guy cuts off the round part of the engine side cover, but I didn't think it was really necessary. It's more of a "just for looks" thing.

Anyways, great find on the thread discussing the engine mounting plate. I'm sure my future buyer will appreciate it. Of course the engine could be mounted off to one side or rear mounted in a trike frame too.
It still looks like a flat redhead......or can we say "gingersnap" ?

(I have a small top redhead sittin' next to me reading this.......gotta duck for cover!!!) :D