Midnight PRO build, my first

GoldenMotor.com

247Nino

Sep 23, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
This is my Midnight PRO from California Motorbikes. I think Umotobikes sells the same thing.
I chose this bike for its mild stretch, front & rear brakes, fenders and low entry price ($350 shipped) for a complete bike.

I've had problems with this bike from the very start.
Some of the parts were bent during shipping and some were just problematic:
Rigid fork bent beyond service
Brake cable adjuster was smashed
Clutch arm was bent
Tank mounting straps were too short for the fat top tube
The factory dual brake cable was crap, unserviceable
Front wheel is a rear free wheel hub with a disk brake adapter

I had certain things in mind that I wanted to mod from the beginning, I wanted something like a bobber I had built from a virgin Shadow VLX 600. I know it won't be exactly like my motorcycle but I have since sold it and I needed to ride two wheels and a motor with the same inspiration.
A springer fork along with the parts to accommodate the disk brake, mid size apes with a compatible stem, headlight, and a mirror. It didn't sound like much when I started to order everything. So far it has been a pain but I got it running after a couple weeks of waiting for parts, redoing the brake cables and working around the inherent factory part issues. The factory front fender brackets are made for 20" wheels and they mounted to the middle of the original rigid fork. I had to order new ones. I rode it with rear V brake only and stopping was not easy, hence the disk brake adapter on the springer.

The sprocket was installed from the factory with the bevel towards the hub; that sucked, no chain clearance whatsoever. I had to turn it outwards. The rear fender had to be cut to give the motor chain enough clearance, took it to the angle grinder and cutting wheel. I had to make tank straps from plumber's tape, the crappy steel strap with holes in it.

I am still waiting on parts:
Mirror, properly sized 26" fender brackets, cheap cyclocomputer to see how fast I am blazing the asphalt and how far I have traveled, Greenfield kickstand, headlight and stem mount, Sunlite dual brake lever and new cabling/housing. A friend is cutting and welding the seat post to set the saddle further to the rear.

Issues currently being rethought:
I got it running on Saturday night, I have ridden it about 10 miles and the factory tensioner wheel is wearing down fast - Should I just ditch the tensioner and break links?
Should I paint these wheels like I did with the motorcycle? How do I mask the machined lip easily?

Parts added:
Electra Apes
BMX style stem
Springer fork
Expansion Chamber

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Great VLX. They look cool bobbed. Yours have the dual carbs?
Nice motorbike too. Murdered out - right down to the fork.

247Nino

Sep 23, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks for the compliments guys.
I've been reading up on fender mounting, I might be leaving the front fender off since I can't get the rear bracket/strut mounted around the springer disk brake piston mount. My creativity has been suffering lately due to the late Summer weather here in Sunnyvale.
I had my seatpost cut and just waiting on my schedule to open up so I can weld it back together.
My new dual brake lever is also ready to be installed. I will post updated pictures soon.

Great VLX. They look cool bobbed. Yours have the dual carbs?
Nice motorbike too. Murdered out - right down to the fork.
Mine was a 2001 with the single carb, it had adequate power. I saw more of these VLX bobbers pop up in the San Jose area after I built mine.